Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis (hge)

TiatheAkita

My little girl has just been diagnosed with HGE and is spending the night in hospital.

On Sunday morning she was very lethargic and vomited laid around for a bit and then starting behaving normally, barking, playing as usual however she didn't want her dinner or her breakfast this morning and was very lethargic - so I took her to work with me and made an appointment at the Vet. Noticed bloody thermometer while trying to take her temperature (very painful) and her tummy was very tender.

She had a blood test done which indicated low white blood cell count and low protein levels. Just before she went under to have xrays done on her bowel for obstructions she did a huge bloody diahhorea, fortunately she hasn't done another one after 3hrs and no blockages have been found. So the vets are keeping her in to maintain her fluid levels and to give her some antibiotics. My poor baby, I just hope she gets better soon so that I can give her lots of cuddles and kisses. She has just had her third birthday on the 4th of Jan :-(

sending lots of healing vibes for your special girl

bert had a similar thing happen when he was a wee boy of around 3 months, they thought he had pavo :)

he had to spend the night in hospital, and on a drip as he was severely dehydrated.

he came through it, and I'm sure your Tia will too :rofl:

Darcy has been through two bouts of HGE... it's stressful stuff. :) It tends to be a young dog disease - not sure why.

I'm sending positive vibes. If she's at the vets on a drip, its the best treatment she can get.

Once she pulls through this, I can highly recommend the Hill I/D canned food for the recovery. Just remember to follow vets instructions and feed small amounts often initally, increasing meal sizes as you decrease frequency.

Darcy's first bout was the worst... 3 days on a drip and about 2 days on liquids only (anti-scour mix) before he could have solids.

Edited by poodlefan

My boy had something similar and actually had to be cut open because they suspected a blockage - not all blockages show up on x-rays. It took him a few days to recover once he started to get on the mend. His first stool after hospital was a bright green - which is how a dried blood poo looks like - I rang the vet in a flip! It was about a month to six weeks until he was 100% back to his old self.

My boy also had a prescription diet to get better (I used Eukaneuba), with no treats or anything rich. I then slowly introduced him back to his normal diet (EP Holistic and Raw - all human grade).

Our first pug, Toby had that. He didn't show any symptoms, I only knew there was a problem when I found some bloody

droppings on the lawn. He wasn't as bad as your girl, the vet sent him home with antibiotics and he was fine in a couple of days.

Hope Tia is better tomorrow, I know how worried you must be. :thumbsup:

Thank-you everybody for your healing vibes and for sharing your information and experiences.

I spoke to the Vet last night who said that she hadn't done a bloody diahhorea for 5hrs (YAY) but still had a very saw tummy, she is on antibiotics, antacids, pain relief and fluids.

It was really hard last night not having her at home - I went to call her inside for beddy byes and then realised she's not home :hug:

I know she is getting the best care staying at the vet and its the best place for her at the moment but I just miss her and can't wait to see her pretty little face again.

She is gorgeous!

My Sarah has had two bouts of it - 12 months apart almost to the day. Luckily she pulled through - HGE is a serious disease which I understand noone has isloated the casuative 'bug' (unless anyone has any more up-to-date info?). It can kill in hours if its severe enough or a vet doesn't recognise it - and some of them don't. And it seems like you got her to a vet quickly - really pays not to delay the vet with this one.

Luckily my vet recognised it and my Sarah spent two nights in the vets (until they could stand her barking no more :thumbsup: ) hooked up to a drip and with antibiotics from memory. She pulled through but it was a very worrying time. She then was on the Hills I/D (?) for at least a week - gross stuff!

Big hugs to you and Tia (beautiful girl! :laugh: )

Thank heaps everybody :laugh:

I just found out from the Dr looking after Tia that during the night she chewed through her drip :laugh: and is being very stubborn and not drinking her water because they have put a elizabethian around her neck and is sulking. They are going to try and give her some food probably around now and will be updated later on this afternoon - she still hasn't done and poos. I wish I could go and see her :thumbsup:

She is gorgeous!

My Sarah has had two bouts of it - 12 months apart almost to the day. Luckily she pulled through - HGE is a serious disease which I understand noone has isloated the casuative 'bug' (unless anyone has any more up-to-date info?). It can kill in hours if its severe enough or a vet doesn't recognise it - and some of them don't. And it seems like you got her to a vet quickly - really pays not to delay the vet with this one.

Luckily my vet recognised it and my Sarah spent two nights in the vets (until they could stand her barking no more :thumbsup: ) hooked up to a drip and with antibiotics from memory. She pulled through but it was a very worrying time. She then was on the Hills I/D (?) for at least a week - gross stuff!

Big hugs to you and Tia (beautiful girl! :laugh: )

Oh no thats awful westiemum - I'm glad she has recovered BIG :laugh: