Yeast Infection Ears

Mas1981

About 2 months ago my lab got a yeast infection in his ear, he seems to be scratching his ears again but no sign of the brown gunk that he had the first time. Any suggestions or tips on keeping the infections away besides using an ear wash frequently and drying his ears after swimming???

I sometimes use Thornit powder to keep my guys ears under control. I get it from the UK and have had no problems with delivery. I usually buy a few at a time (additional ones for friends) to save on postage.

ETA:

I buy it from www.championpets.co.uk - have chatted via email with the owner and she is lovely. If you buy from them tell her Jacki from Tassie put you on to her :p She might remember me :) We had some issues getting it in to Tassie so she labelled it "cold sore powder" and that did the trick!

Edited by spottychick

My lab had yeasty ears and I found the only thing to keep it under control was Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV).

Firstly, before putting anything down the ear, the ear drum is not perforated. This applies to any ear cleaning solution.

Then I mixed ACV/saline (50/50) solution in a squeeze bottle. Squeeze it down the ear and massage.

I leave it for about 2 minutes and then wipe it out with cotton wool.

I keep a close eye on her ears and wipe them out as I think they need it.

Sometimes I will just wet a cotton ball and wipe the ear as far as I can get with my fingers.

If you do a search there is a bit about ear cleaners. DOL was where I got this solution from.

Good Luck

PS Make sure the ACV has the "Mother" in it. You can get it from Health Food stores. Lasts for a while.

Edited by Daxilly

Just a warning on ACV in ears - I see people recommending it all the time so clearly this isn't common but if it happened to my guy it's possible it could happen to others.

I tried diluted ACV on one of my dogs once and it sent him into a screaming (literally screaming) frenzy of rubbing his ears on the ground and rolling around in pain and running away from me etc. I felt absolutely terrible that I'd done this to him. His ears went extremely red and he was clearly in a great deal of pain and distress from the ACV so I never used it again for any of my dogs. It took a few hours for the redness to subside and for him to calm down. Poor little guy was exhausted - yet still trusted me to shove stuff in his ear after that horrific experience. Amazing! I was able to help him a little by using some colloidal silver on his ear flap to try and calm the reaction to the ACV there, but inside his ear was beyond my immediate help.

He got a similar (tho not quite as intense) reaction to the ear drops from VAN.

It's possible there was some sort of allergic reaction to the ACV that caused this - he had a rough start in life which resulted in him being highly allergic to things - but just in case, I think if you try this maybe just first try a tiny bit on the ear flap or somewhere safer than the ear canal, to make sure there's no reaction.

Edited by spottychick

Go with the Thornit Powder fantastic stuff, Groomers here in Aust have it, just google Groomers, they will post it to you,

Thank you I will try this powder, seems that a few people use it successfully.

I see on the groomers website it says its for mites and hair removal, does it really help with yeast too?

Edited by Masons_mom

Go with the Thornit Powder fantastic stuff, Groomers here in Aust have it, just google Groomers, they will post it to you,

I see on the groomers website it says its for mites and hair removal, does it really help with yeast too?

I use it on my Springers and I have 1 boy who in the past has suffered from both yeast and bacterial infections he was treated at the vets for initially, once the infection cleared I have been using Thornit's Powder as a maintenance treatment no infections for about 2.5 years. My dogs are on a wheat free diet.

Also my daughters dog gets yeast infections and she also uses Thornits and it clears up in a couple of days.

Hope this helps and hope that it helps your dog.

Edited by springdog

I use it on my Springers and I have 1 boy who in the past has suffered from both yeast and bacterial infections he was treated at the vets for initially, once the infection cleared I have been using Thornit's Powder as a maintenance treatment no infections for about 2.5 years. My dogs are on a wheat free diet.

Also my daughters dog gets yeast infections and she also uses Thornits and it clears up in a couple of days.

Hope this helps and hope that it helps your dog.

My dog is eating Eagle Pack at the moment, does anyone know if this is wheat free? What are some good wheat free foods? I cant go Raw as bones and too much raw meat causes an upset stomach in my pup.

My dog is eating Eagle Pack at the moment, does anyone know if this is wheat free? What are some good wheat free foods? I cant go Raw as bones and too much raw meat causes an upset stomach in my pup.

Which Eagle Pack are you feeding?

Artemis foods are gluten free. They use rice as the cereal ingredient.

You can wipe his paws with ACV. That will help break the yeast cycle.

Which Eagle Pack are you feeding?

Artemis foods are gluten free. They use rice as the cereal ingredient.

You can wipe his paws with ACV. That will help break the yeast cycle.

He is on large breed puppy but the next bag will be an adult variety, I use ACV on him quite often and he gets it with his food also as well as in his paddling pool .

Not sure that we get Artemis here in WA I have not seen it??

Edited by Masons_mom

Eaglepack - I've got the small breed formula here and just checked the ingredients - it has wheat germ meal in it.

The only time any dogs have had a reaction to the ACV is when they have had broken skin in their ears - it stings like CRAZY! But as a regular day-to-day ear cleaner is it very good. :cheer: