Dogs Eating Ice?

ILuvAmstaffs

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With regard to a handful of dogs having adverse reactions to ice..... I have heard many stories of dogs choking to death on chicken wings/frames/chunks of meat/various raw bones and so on and so forth... for every thing we enjoy givng our dogs, people will always bring up a negative :banghead: however it is good for people to know the risks so they can make an informed decision.

I agree with Gretel- overheated dogs should not be given ice (Just like an overheated human), but I see nothing wrong with an otherwise healthy dog enjoying an ice cube or licking a frozen block.

Each to their own of course and it should be done with thought and care.

I always thaw their food out throughly though, and sit it out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes before feeding it to them, I don't like serving them an icy meal.

I heartily agree, I think sometimes we get a bit too precious about everything, but keeping informed is good!

Marlin was given ice cubes when she was teething and absolutely loved them she would hold them against her gums before crunching into little bits, she still gets one or two before bed, thinks it is the greatest treat :banghead: but never after a run or when really hot. I do make larger blocks in old butter containers with a few treats frozen in water flavoured with a little stock. Keeps her occupied for ages licking and licking, especially on these hot days. She is especially fond of having her belly rubbed with an ice cube :laugh:

Exactly.

I'd rather be precious than have a dead dog.

Yep, me too. Dead is pretty final.

Avoid all the problematical things. :laugh:

Although many people do it, there are veterinary warnings out there about the danger. The cold ice can send the stomach muscles into spasms, resulting in a very sick, or dead dog. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time. I wouldn't risk it.

Does that happen with frozen bones too? I sometimes give my dogs frozen bones on hot days. Should I thaw it first?

Mine have been given frozen bones daily, for nearly 10 years without a problem.

Edited by RottyLover01