Dogs Eating Ice?

ILuvAmstaffs

I dropped a cube of ice on the kitchen floor tonight & before I had a chance to pick it up, Diesel ran up, grabbed it & ran out to the front yard to eat it. I thought it was a bit odd, so I called him back & handed him another cube which he took with delight & again ran out the front to enjoy in privacy. :)

Does anyone elses dog do this? Clearly they don't get brain freeze like humans do. :thumbsup:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time they hear the freezer they come arunnin'!!! :)

Although many people do it, there are veterinary warnings out there about the danger. The cold ice can send the stomach muscles into spasms, resulting in a very sick, or dead dog. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time. I wouldn't risk it.

"Although many people do it, there are veterinary warnings out there about the danger. The cold ice can send the stomach muscles into spasms, resulting in a very sick, or dead dog. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time. I wouldn't risk it."

Jed, how accurate is this information? My dog will barely touch water but eats several trays of ice cubes each day. He's been doing this for over a year now with no bad moments.

Ah crap. Just another thing to wory about.

Edited by wire

My older boy loves ice. A lot of the sites they work at have ice machines and our boy will pick up his water bowl and sit beside the machine ... sooking until my brother fills his bowl up with ice.

He then crunches it until it is all gone and then take his bowl back to the ice machine for another refill.

He gets very upset when they are on a site without the ice machine ...