Dogs Eating Ice?

ILuvAmstaffs

From what I have read, the extreme coldness of the ice can cause muscle spasms in the dog which can lead to bloat in susceptible breeds - particularly when the dog is hot.

Ive also heard this, I dont do the ice thing anymore just in case. Such a pity, it was nice giving them treats in ice on a hot day!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mine love it too. Puck thinks it's a prize worth growling at the other for. Once when I defrosted the freezer I got a big snowy sheet out and threw it in the yard. They went nuts over it. Mine will also bob for ice cubes in the water.

Yep!

We buy greek yoghurt in the 2ltr containers... So we have heaps of those lying around.. I stick one or two of those in the freezer and drop those outside on hot days. Blue, brandy and Faith all fight to curl around it and lick them.

We found it by accident. I dumped a bag of ice outside after a camping trip. Blue kept on picking up the chunks and eating them.

I also give my bones frozen too. Dogs seem to love them.

Lick, lick, lick

Although many people do it, there are veterinary warnings out there about the danger. The cold ice can send the stomach muscles into spasms, resulting in a very sick, or dead dog. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time. I wouldn't risk it.

Does that happen with frozen bones too? I sometimes give my dogs frozen bones on hot days. Should I thaw it first?

Although many people do it, there are veterinary warnings out there about the danger. The cold ice can send the stomach muscles into spasms, resulting in a very sick, or dead dog. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time. I wouldn't risk it.

Does that happen with frozen bones too? I sometimes give my dogs frozen bones on hot days. Should I thaw it first?

I think at the end of the day, a lot depends on YOUR dog. Likewise with Ice, toys or anything else you give them. (UN)Common sense should always prevail.

My dogs tend to lick the ice cube (as I give it as a big 2ltr ice cube). As with bones. Mine tend to lick the bones and once they are defrosted, they get right into them and chew.

If you have a dog that likes to gulp everything in sight, then supervision is always the key. No matter if the bones are defrosted or frozen. I have seen dogs go hell for leather into defrosted bones and get them stuck, or fail to chew the bones and then parts of it get stuck somewhere along the digestive tract.

"Although many people do it, there are veterinary warnings out there about the danger. The cold ice can send the stomach muscles into spasms, resulting in a very sick, or dead dog. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time. I wouldn't risk it."

Jed, how accurate is this information? My dog will barely touch water but eats several trays of ice cubes each day. He's been doing this for over a year now with no bad moments.

Ah crap. Just another thing to wory about.

Report on a show dog, given ice at a show because it was so hot. He fell in a heap, rushed to the vet, vet said his stomach muscles had spasmed because of the ice. He was ok but it took a while, Vet warned dogs shouldn't be given ice. Said mosr dogs are ok, but a dog which was ok with it yesterday could die today. No idea where I read it, but I discount things I can't verify. And I thought about it ,and it made sense.

Asked my vet (BVSc, MACVS blah blah), and she said "Of course you wouldn't f,,,ing give dogs ice or icy water, their stomachs could spasm, and they weren't meant to f,,,king eat ice either." And a few other choice things which gave the impression she didn't think it was real good

And I never gave mine ice water or ice again. Because mine would be the one which would die!!

Jed - I have read of a sibe who that happened to.

There has also been a report with a dane.

Like you - I can't discount it as a possibility therefore avoid the practice owning a bloat prone breed.

Edited by Danois

Last summer, I gave Heidi lots of homemade ice blocks. She loved them, but then I read about the concerns associated with eating ice, and now, unfortunately, I don't give her them anymore. It's a shame, cause she really loved them.

Jed - I have read of a sibe who that happened to.

There has also been a report with a dane.

Like you - I can't discount it as a possibility therefore avoid the practice owning a bloat prone breed.

I am not sure what the breed was - but one dog is enough, imho.

I've read a few studies on bloat - and couldn't find anything on ice or ice water although it makes sense to me. I wasn't feeding ice anyhow, so it wasn't important. Do you have links to any studies on bloat (with or without ice LOL) as I am always interested?

We just had a big hail storm here, after it was done I let the dogs out and Anna my BC was walking around eating the hail! funny girl.

I don't normally give them ice to eat, but sometimes their food is still a bit frozen, thanks for the warnings, I will make sure food is better defrosted from now on.

With regard to a handful of dogs having adverse reactions to ice..... I have heard many stories of dogs choking to death on chicken wings/frames/chunks of meat/various raw bones and so on and so forth... for every thing we enjoy givng our dogs, people will always bring up a negative :laugh: however it is good for people to know the risks so they can make an informed decision.

I agree with Gretel- overheated dogs should not be given ice (Just like an overheated human), but I see nothing wrong with an otherwise healthy dog enjoying an ice cube or licking a frozen block.

Each to their own of course and it should be done with thought and care.

I always thaw their food out throughly though, and sit it out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes before feeding it to them, I don't like serving them an icy meal.

With regard to a handful of dogs having adverse reactions to ice..... I have heard many stories of dogs choking to death on chicken wings/frames/chunks of meat/various raw bones and so on and so forth... for every thing we enjoy givng our dogs, people will always bring up a negative :thumbsup: however it is good for people to know the risks so they can make an informed decision.

I agree with Gretel- overheated dogs should not be given ice (Just like an overheated human), but I see nothing wrong with an otherwise healthy dog enjoying an ice cube or licking a frozen block.

I always thaw their food out throughly though, and sit it out of the fridge for 10-15 minutes before feeding it to them, I don't like serving them an icy meal.

I heartily agree, I think sometimes we get a bit too precious about everything, but keeping informed is good!

Marlin was given ice cubes when she was teething and absolutely loved them she would hold them against her gums before crunching into little bits, she still gets one or two before bed, thinks it is the greatest treat :thumbsup: but never after a run or when really hot. I do make larger blocks in old butter containers with a few treats frozen in water flavoured with a little stock. Keeps her occupied for ages licking and licking, especially on these hot days. She is especially fond of having her belly rubbed with an ice cube :D

I've often frozen treats inside a milk carton or icecream container of water. It can be a useful trick for a dog that doesn't drink as much as you would like (frozen chicken stock works well too) and is also a slow release boredom buster for a dog which would otherwise demolish a treat in a very fast manner.

With regard to a handful of dogs having adverse reactions to ice..... I have heard many stories of dogs choking to death on chicken wings/frames/chunks of meat/various raw bones and so on and so forth... for every thing we enjoy givng our dogs, people will always bring up a negative :hug: however it is good for people to know the risks so they can make an informed decision.

I heartily agree, I think sometimes we get a bit too precious about everything, but keeping informed is good!

Marlin was given ice cubes when she was teething and absolutely loved them she would hold them against her gums before crunching into little bits, she still gets one or two before bed, thinks it is the greatest treat :hug: but never after a run or when really hot. I do make larger blocks in old butter containers with a few treats frozen in water flavoured with a little stock. Keeps her occupied for ages licking and licking, especially on these hot days. She is especially fond of having her belly rubbed with an ice cube :o

Exactly.

I'd rather be precious than have a dead dog.

When my pups were being vaccinated the other day the vet gave them a good check over and commented Jersey had teeth coming out everywhere :hug: I said she'd been having trouble eating her chicken necks and she asked did I give her ice and that feeding her necks a bit frozen would be good for her gums too.