Collar Ideas

teekay

Hi, I have a dog with a very 'bushy' neck and am finding it increasingly difficult to get a collar on her without getting her fur caught in it.

I was looking at the check chains the other day and thought, how easy it would be to just be able to slip it over her head but I am really not keen on using one, and I guess the fur would get caught in it once it was on anyway

What do other owners of fluffy dogs do, is there a knack to it? It probably doesn't help that, as soon as I go to put her collar on, she lifts her paw up in the way every time and it becomes a bit of a struggle. aarrgghh.

Have you thought about one of the silky type sighthound martingales? Or a regular martingale with soft/smooth edges on the nylon.

Also a good quality rolled leather collar might work.

With my Newf, I used a 'fur saver' correction collar (the ones with the rectangle links rather than round). However he was very obedient and it wasn't used as a CC.

I use rolled collars on my Samoyed when I am not at home, a rolled check when we are walking or training and a snake chain when we show, when I am at home they go nuddie :rofl: .

Is it the buckle that is getting the hair caught in it and causing the problem :laugh:

I use rolled collars on my Samoyed when I am not at home, a rolled check when we are walking or training and a snake chain when we show, when I am at home they go nuddie :rofl: .

Is it the buckle that is getting the hair caught in it and causing the problem :laugh:

Yes. She just has a fabric collar at the moment with a plastic buckle that you snap together iykwim. Every time I try to snap it together her fur is in the way. I try and put my fingers between the buckle and her fur and then snap my bloody fingers in it. :rofl:

I don't think a normal buckle would be any easier though. Well maybe easier on my fingers :rofl:

I will google some of the suggestions and have a look. Cheers

I like the look of the martingale collars, looks like that might be my answer. I presume they just slip over their head like a check chain but it is limited as to how tight it gets when she pulls? Jenna's not a great puller, she walks quite well but does have a tendency to get exited when we pass another dog.

I use rolled collars on my Samoyed when I am not at home, a rolled check when we are walking or training and a snake chain when we show, when I am at home they go nuddie ;) .

Is it the buckle that is getting the hair caught in it and causing the problem :)

Yes. She just has a fabric collar at the moment with a plastic buckle that you snap together iykwim. Every time I try to snap it together her fur is in the way. I try and put my fingers between the buckle and her fur and then snap my bloody fingers in it. :)

I don't think a normal buckle would be any easier though. Well maybe easier on my fingers :)

I will google some of the suggestions and have a look. Cheers

Is the collar adjustable using one of those slider thingys??? If so... try loosening the collar, then buckle it up, slip it over the dog's head and then carefully tighten the collar while on the dog (may still catch hair but will be kinder on your fingers :) ). I did this when I put a clip collar on my Newf (he had a zillion collars for different occasions :) oddly enough I found heaps of giant collars in bargain bins :) you could never see them of course but I knew they were there :p ).

Oh another collar- Fuzzyard has a good buckle snap collar (attached a pic of Caber's)

post-2621-1264733454_thumb.jpg

I like the look of the martingale collars, looks like that might be my answer. I presume they just slip over their head like a check chain but it is limited as to how tight it gets when she pulls?

yes but you still have to adjust it once on.

I like the look of the martingale collars, looks like that might be my answer. I presume they just slip over their head like a check chain but it is limited as to how tight it gets when she pulls?

I'm a little confused, sorry.

Once you have set the size I'm presuming you can slip it over her head. You don't need to adjust it each time do you?

I like the look of the Rogz beach bum limited check collar too. They appear to work on the same principle.

I'm a little confused, sorry.

Once you have set the size I'm presuming you can slip it over her head. You don't need to adjust it each time do you?

I like the look of the Rogz beach bum limited check collar too. They appear to work on the same principle.

Ideally, a martingale collar should sit at the top of the dog's neck & behind the ears. However as I don't use it for corrective purposes often I usually just set it up at a size that is convenient to slip on and off the dog's head. BUT this also depends on the size of the dog's head (for eg: if we didn't adjust it for the narrow-headed collie smooth once it was on, and if she pulled back it would not tighten enough to remain secure and would slip off).

I have also used the limited slip collars (beach bum except called scooter for smaller dogs) with success :) on both Border Terriers and my old Dobe. I find the chain of the martingale works well for a dog conditioned to the sound (ie: the jingle reminds it to behave).