Cornstarch Vs Cornflour For Grooming

Garloch

Hi all,

Can anyone advise me please if cornstarch and cornflour are the same thing in grooming terms? A couple of books I have from the U.S. talk about using cornstarch to assist in removal of matted fur in rescue dogs. One of mine has very fine fur that mats on a windy day! :D Well, almost.

Yes, she is clipped and brushed and she doesn't approve of any of that, so I was thinking, maybe if I sprinkled cornstarch on the areas that mat (hips, underarms, etc) would it help to slow down the matting? Always worth a try. So off to the shops I go, only to find plenty of cornflour, but no cornstarch. Are they the same thing?

Google doesn't bring up much, and what it does, seems to be conflicting.

Thanks in advance.

In Australia, cornflour is mostly made of wheat!

White wings makes one with corn :D

This is the same as US cornstarch, I believe...

Thanks Persephone

Right - so CORN flour can be made from WHEAT flour.

That's got to be confusing to those of us who don't cook often.

I'll make sure I read the labelling carefully then! Thanks.

In Australia, cornflour is mostly made of wheat!

White wings makes one with corn :D

This is the same as US cornstarch, I believe...

I was shocked when I realised my "cornstarch" from COles was made from wheat. I check and re-check the packaging these days :D

I use cornflour to comb out my boy's beard. Not to prevent matting but more to make it look "whiter". I also use cornflour in replacement of ear powder..to assist in pulling out the oily ear hair. I have not heard of cornflour assisting with knots and matted hair. Let me know if that works...thanks!

If you add water to cornflour you can make glue! Cornstarch is available as a lubricant in a tube for chafing from Lanacane!!! No help on the grooming side of things though I'm sorry, so my comments really arent' helpful on that side of things.

I second potato flour. I think it was Rysup with the fluffy Keesies that told me about that. We used it for our Lapphund when he was going through that stupid adolescent coat stage that seemed to matt up overnight.