Easy Care Breeds

Guest bigdogg

Koemi, I think you are spot on.

Even many people I know have felt like giving up on a young dog :) and I ahve been able to persuade them to carry on through the trying times and end up with a wonderful 3 yr old animal.

One part of education that is sadly lacking in the general public is the length of 'puppy hood' in breeds. The majority of breeds (or mongrels) will have a 2 yr hell period (to be on the generous side) and most people think a 'puppy' will be grown up around 6 - 9 months, ie. wont dig, bark, toilet indoors, walk well etc. if they train them. When the puppy has a lapse and chews shoes at 10 months or some other behaviour the owners are shocked. They think the pup should 'know' now that it is grown up. Well, it isnt grown up and training is ongoing for life, not a couple of months of puppyhood.

I'm sure if some owners were made VERY AWARE that PUPPY behaviour is pretty NORMAL for about 2 years, but with consistency you will have a great mature dog for many years, that owners would either reconsider getting a dog, or stick it out and reap the rewards(hopefully)

The amount of people who have complained to me about their dogs and I've said, oh that's pretty normal at that age, and they have been dumbfounded, prooves that this information just isn't getting out there.

I thoroughly agree research is a major tool to prevent dumpings, but even with research, if someone WANTS a certain thing, they will gloss over the negatives sometimes.

when people see Monah (viz) they adore her and ask how to get one, I say well shes' very active, the answer is either Oh, I would walk one a couple of times a week and take it out weekends :rofl: :D because to them , this is exercising the dog, so when they read that a dog is active, they relate this to what they think constitutes 'active'

or

REally? OMG! I would never have the time to do all that (from the realists :) )

All those who breed more unusual/rare breeds are so lucky, because most of the people who ask after their pups will have done their research.

A good point! Tibetan Spaniels would fit into that category....still unusual here in Australia. So still largely in the hands of registered breeders who do their stuff well. OK, I'm biased.....but it's also my experience....purebred tibbies from those good breeders are wonderfully easy to own. In the right home. With fantastic support from the breeders & other tibbie owners, right up to an international level. Where they have an international registry over-seeing any possible genetic problems.

I've also noticed any purereds who turn up in rescue have a human story behind them.

A pox on the houses of any BYBers, puppy farmers or cross-breeders for profit....who 'discover' these lovely dogs. And introduce conditions where their dogs are more likely to be dumped.

I dont know if this is accurate or not, but a BC breeder I was speaking to said that BC and Bc x have a high dump rate, particulary around 10 months.

it horrifes me. sally broke our clothes line this morning and there still is nothing that would make me part from her

I dont know if this is accurate or not, but a BC breeder I was speaking to said that BC and Bc x have a high dump rate, particulary around 10 months.

I would agree with that. Not so much the show lines, but farm bred and byb border collies feature in large numbers in country pounds.

I would agree with that. Not so much the show lines, but farm bred and byb border collies feature in large numbers in country pounds.

Yep I agree as well.... There always seems to be Border Collie/x's in the pound where I live (country pound). I think it is about education, and that people releasing that these are living animals, who aren't perfect and need love/guidence to become a great family member. And there will be up and down times!!! and... I know what you mean about Pet shop workers not knowing much, sometimes it's sooo annoying!!! I tried to 'correct' a girl on a breed once, and she wouldn't accept it!!

A little off topic, but GayleK your Aussie's are GORGEOUS!!!!! :banghead::banghead: Benson is a stunning boy!!!!!!

A little off topic, but GayleK your Aussie's are GORGEOUS!!!!! Benson is a stunning boy!!!!!!

Thank you. He's pretty unique with his dark features, and he's just the best boy ever. He has the nicest temperament of any dog I've ever met, and he's a real character.

A little off topic, but GayleK your Aussie's are GORGEOUS!!!!! Benson is a stunning boy!!!!!!

Thank you. He's pretty unique with his dark features, and he's just the best boy ever. He has the nicest temperament of any dog I've ever met, and he's a real character.

Yeah his dark features are beautiful!!! I can imagine he would be a character - my little Aussie is now 5 months old :rofl: ;) and boy what a funny little thing with the HUGEST personality!!!!!! I'm still yet to find ANYTHING to scare her (not like I go out trying, but you know what I mean, like storms, mowers, loud noises etc etc), she's such a confident pup!!!!. I've never really had anything to do with them before I got Lottie, and I think i'm going to find it hard to get a different breed now :grouphug::laugh:

Sorry to hijack the thread, back to the OT now :rofl:

I read an american website that did a study of people that had gotten rid of their dogs and then acquired another dog. Amazingly (by memory) 85% of them were happy and kept the second dog.

I searched but could not find it again, but it said the reason they got rid of the original dog was they did not research the breed and its requirements, no thought to what will be needed over the next few years. Second time around they must have been more experienced and put more thought in.

Still doesn't help the original dog though, does it?