Terry Ryan Seminar

piper

This came across an email list I am on and I thought there might be people here interested in attending.

19th & 20th June 2010

Coaching People to Train their Dogs

2 day instructors course

featuring Terry Ryan CPDT-KA

Adelaide Shores Function Complex

Coaching People to Train their Dogs

How to Conduct Effective Training Classes

This instructor's course is an excellent foundation for new instructors, whether vet nurses running puppy classes, club instructors (competition or pet), and pet dog trainers.

It is also great for experienced instructors and professional dog trainers as a forum for exchanging ideas, combating instructor burnout, or just seeing what's new or different. Information includes:

People skills and class organisation

Tips to structure classes for the specific needs of your community

A variety of orientation strategies will be discussed. Should dogs attend the first night of class or not?

Instructional formatting — e.g. what are your objectives, how do you measure your success? Should your course be time or goal driven? Should you offer single topic classes? How about "levels" classes?

The art of listening, learning to observe, effective communication, learning styles, lateral and critical thinking exercises, depth and breadth of knowledge, criteria for selecting training techniques & equipment, and what to do about your dropout rate.

Utilising your area to the maximum, traffic control strategies, effective use of assistants and options for last class activities will be covered.

Learn about helpful organisations and networking opportunities.

This seminar is interactive. Students will get an idea of how effective various training techniques are by participating in exercises such as "Pavlov's Dog" and "What Humans Teach/What Canines Learn".

The full information and registration details can be found at: http://www.petagog.net/workshops.htm

I was thinking of going to it but I want to do the Matt Webb working dog school too, gotta think of the $$$$'s, so not sure which one to do.

I know the feeling Dova.

My thoughts on the 2 options you gave would be Terry Ryan first as the other does regular training weekends. Terry Ryan will most likely not do a seminar like this again in SA, or possible even in Australia.

I am hoping to get to the Terry Ryan weekend. A good seminar may get me enthused about trainign again, been ages since I felt like taking classes.

Edited by piper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...