Teaching Puppies To Stack

centitout

Have been doing the food reward for walking into the stack,they arent very good yet but are getting the hang of it.I just have to be patient,not worry about foot placement etc until they have just learnt to just stand still.

Exactly. Foot placement will come with experience. It's more learning the commands and that you want them to stand still.

My old Stafford Reginald was one of the best free baiting, self-stacking dogs that I have had the good fortune to handle. He'd walk into his stack and I just had to look at any foot that was out of place and move my head ever so slightly for him to shuffle it back into place. He'd also bait off a wriggling finger which was handy.

Teaching them to catch bait is a good trick too. If a dog is built correctly, when they move forwards and upwards to catch the bait, they will automatically drop themselves into place.

Editing to add: And Reg was funny with shop windows and mirrors too. We used to live in the centre of Hobart city when he was a youngster and I'd use the black windows of the old Myer shop to train him. Whenever he saw a black window, he'd set himself up and admire himself in the window! And he used to go running up the stairs of our old house in the city (an 1835 convict-built townhouse) and into the front bedroom to set himself up in the wardrobe mirror there. He was so vain.

You have to know Staffords to really appreciate his antics! :D :D

Edited by ellz

Thanks Cassie,

Bella is going to proffessional show people in 2 weeks,they are going to show her for me so i can concentrate on Edward.

Earl is a gorgeous pup,if he had been as nice as Edward though,he would have stayed :( bu ti know he has a fantastic home with Kelpiehoundmum

Ohh he certainly does :( He'll be spoilt rotten with them I think ;) Plus all of us when he comes to the DOL meets :rofl:

I couldn't stop cuddling him and squishing him and pulling his excess skin :o I swear he has more skin to grow into than my Saint pup had at the same age!

After lots of 'mini free stacking" this last week,i think they are getting the hang of it :laugh:,well at least the standing still for a second part! I am using milo cereal,anything else and Edward ends up a raving,slobbery lunatic.A few more months and they should definately be getting the hang of it.Now i just have to work on my handling,which is pretty ordinary :laugh:

As long as we have fun,i am happy,i just want them to enjoy there first show on saturday ,only a small ag show to start though at Crookwell.

Great news Centiout, And to be honest there is always something cute about a puppy that isnt a robot when they start out, ;) if they do the flippy thing, no body cares ,they are babies and babies need to enjoy the fun part of showing, so just have fun.

How often do you see everyone laughing when the babies go in , its not just because they are bouncing around its because we have all been there done that :laugh: And you usually see the judges laughing as well.

Babies have the AAAWW factor and besides I have seen babies stacking perfectly at home every time, but get them to the show and they pull out all the stops to do the wrong thing :rofl:

And vice a versa so dont worry . :laugh:

Wait till you see him run then-its the funniest thing as all the skin on his head rolls back,so his eyes go white and then everything crashes back into place with the next stride :thumbsup:

Yes well that does get a smile on our faces too I have to admit :D

See, he'll look so cute no one will notice if he isnt standing perfectly :D

You will have nothing to worry about LOL