Teaching Puppies To Stack

centitout

post-7731-1264895943_thumb.jpgpost-7731-1264895909_thumb.jpgHas anyone got any tips on how to teach 14 week old bloodhound puppies to stack? These 2 just "arent into" standing with their legs back at all,both roach their backs up until they look like the harbour bridge :)

Or they will consistently pull a hind leg up,or lean sideways.

Going to be fun at their first show in 2 weeks !

And no,no show training classes in my town.

Edited by centitout

:) Top breed you have yourself there I love these guys !!

Let them be babies , try to stack with one word as in Stand only for a few seconds and then reward them with a pat or a treat , make sure the pat or treat is longer than the stack, just try a couple of times a day, if they move a leg keep your hand touching that leg and repeat "Stand"....

Do not try to stack them all the time they will come to it when they are ready, judges understand they are babies have fun with these guys !!! :rofl:

Iv just brought some show stackers also... They work well!

They are just babies.. let them enjoy themselfs.. also use treats if u can lol

oakway.. i didnt start showing my dog till he was 10 months old.. And my bitch i started at 4 months, with knowing nothing about shows/standing.. it can be done

Edited by TeamSnag

Maybe the hands on is what is upsetting them (don't mean 'upset' upsetting). I free stack. Just walk them a few steps, as you are stopping say 'stand' and the very second they do stand give them a treat. No stand, no treat. At this stage don't worry about where their feet are. When they get the 'stand' down then if they aren't standing 'correct' step into them to get them to back a little while saying 'back' then the second they put those feet in the right place say 'stand' and give them a treat. No stand, no treat. Don't forget the high pitched excited 'good dog' when they do well.

Yes there babies but the first thing i would suggest as there large breed & all my large breeds are taught to walk into a stack,ie free stack then adjust .There big dogs with alot of weight behind them & if you dont lift correctly it will be awkward

In the first photo the head isnt in position & the front is out so the dog is unbalanced for the rear legs to be placed.

You need to have control of the head .

Also the way you trying to stack there rear leg will end in failure as you cant extend it correctly but at the same time your encouraging the pup to tuck its tummy up (harbour bridge look) as your arm is pulling the body up/touching

The show stackers work for may but i have never used nor wish to ,i have also handled dogs trained by them & ended up fearful from there experience or terrified to move,so theyhave there good & bad

Edited by showdog

I will try the free stacking,i dont want to place pressure on them as pups,thats why i dont start training as such.4-6 wk bloodhounds just dont have the ability to do anything beyond sit :thumbsup:

I found with the bigger male that is 11 mths ,he was the same,any attempt at stacking was soundly defeated,but as he gets older and more mentally mature,it is now no problem.

I use treats-problem is they drool like crazy!!

My sister is coming up in a few days,she has done a bit of showing with collies and a lab, maybe i can con her into helping me :thumbsup:

Thanks showdog too,i didnt realise i was causing them to tuck up!

Dont worry about the drool.

I too have a dog who until 20 months was turd to stack but like your bloodhounds they grow funny & you need to be patient so i did no stack training at all but did alot of free stack & bait/walk into stack.I needed to still do some work without him realising what i was doing .

If you look at your body position you are holding up with your knee & squashing with your arm putting the dog off balance

The dog looks bored so he would have no desire to stack.I would sooner have a drooler & it be willing & excited (i do have droolers) .

Get the lead up under the chin & ear & have in correct position,hold the lead so you have enough room to bait

:thumbsup: Top breed you have yourself there I love these guys !!

Let them be babies , try to stack with one word as in Stand only for a few seconds and then reward them with a pat or a treat , make sure the pat or treat is longer than the stack, just try a couple of times a day, if they move a leg keep your hand touching that leg and repeat "Stand"....

Do not try to stack them all the time they will come to it when they are ready, judges understand they are babies have fun with these guys !!! :thumbsup:

Yes there babies but the first thing i would suggest as there large breed & all my large breeds are taught to walk into a stack,ie free stack then adjust .There big dogs with alot of weight behind them & if you dont lift correctly it will be awkward

In the first photo the head isnt in position & the front is out so the dog is unbalanced for the rear legs to be placed.

You need to have control of the head .

Also the way you trying to stack there rear leg will end in failure as you cant extend it correctly but at the same time your encouraging the pup to tuck its tummy up (harbour bridge look) as your arm is pullingthe bully up/touching

The show stackers work for may but i have never used nor wish to ,i have also handled dogs trained by them & ended up fearful from there experience or terrified to move,so theyhave there good & bad

Totally agree with both

I think its easier to teach them trailing than show stacking :laugh: probably something that is easier to pick up when shown by a proffessional.Tried Bella with bbq chicken tonight,as she switched off with everything else,just stood there doing the bloodhound thing-head hanging,blind,deaf and dumb-so frustrating.Then with the chicken she got that excited she wouldnt stand still for even a second.

By the end of 10 mins though she is sort of getting there,its the whole head on the ground,you've just viciously beaten me look that is hard to work through,but thats bloodhounds for you :grouphug:

I'm glad you asked this question Centitout as I attempted to stack my Swedish import BH yesterday...with an appauling results. Admittedly, seeing she is still in quarantine she was a bit too excited & a big bucket of worms...but reading the 'free stacking' method sounds ideal for us. She is 18 weeks and comes out of quarantine on Sunday, so I can start working with her soon. Very pleased I read this thread!

Lets hope I see you out and about at some shows during 2010.

Cheers

I think its easier to teach them trailing than show stacking :laugh: probably something that is easier to pick up when shown by a proffessional.Tried Bella with bbq chicken tonight,as she switched off with everything else,just stood there doing the bloodhound thing-head hanging,blind,deaf and dumb-so frustrating.Then with the chicken she got that excited she wouldnt stand still for even a second.

By the end of 10 mins though she is sort of getting there,its the whole head on the ground,you've just viciously beaten me look that is hard to work through,but thats bloodhounds for you :laugh:

Dont worry about the excitement,you will be amazed how quickly they grasp food,walk into a stack.

With my guys even when touching there head i will gently guide them into a self stack without them really realising ,its all about encouraging a natural desire to stack & then you start to adjust & be hands on.

When outside playing with them use food,teach catching & using your "it" word its again all about setting the stack.

Also if it was me i would be buying one of liberty big low tables & teaching dogs to stand on the table.

All my large breeds are constantly stacked on the table & you have greater control as youngsters.

Even at this age weight you can stack on the table.just teach them to put there fronts up & lift

I think its easier to teach them trailing than show stacking :mad probably something that is easier to pick up when shown by a proffessional.Tried Bella with bbq chicken tonight,as she switched off with everything else,just stood there doing the bloodhound thing-head hanging,blind,deaf and dumb-so frustrating.Then with the chicken she got that excited she wouldnt stand still for even a second.

By the end of 10 mins though she is sort of getting there,its the whole head on the ground,you've just viciously beaten me look that is hard to work through,but thats bloodhounds for you :laugh:

Dont worry about the excitement,you will be amazed how quickly they grasp food,walk into a stack.

With my guys even when touching there head i will gently guide them into a self stack without them really realising ,its all about encouraging a natural desire to stack & then you start to adjust & be hands on.

When outside playing with them use food,teach catching & using your "it" word its again all about setting the stack.

Also if it was me i would be buying one of liberty big low tables & teaching dogs to stand on the table.

All my large breeds are constantly stacked on the table & you have greater control as youngsters.

Even at this age weight you can stack on the table.just teach them to put there fronts up & lift

Edward was weighed today and he is 25 kgs :laugh:

I am doing that now,just a quick stack without being a stack,sort of a claytons stack really. Maybe i am too impatient and expect that the judges will want more of them than they are ready for.Already nervous about going back in the ring,i break into a sweat thinking about it!

Edward gets that worked up at the prospect of food,as soon as he smells anything he goes nuts,a little too food driven!

Something I was told Centiout with my GSD's was to actually slide the back feet back instead of lifting and placing, and they tend to not move them straight away.

I have been doing this with my girl since a baby and she hasnt moved her legs anywhere nearly as much as my others have as babies so it has worked with her, so that may be worth a try too :laugh: .

And I also stand every time I have a play with them, I stack just for a second, even if its not a perfect stack, praise heaps and then play, they treat it as fun then and get excited when I do it, cause they get personal attention also,

I use showstackers. Handy but I wish they were better made. I got my father to secure the foot pads with decent bolt screws as the other ones came off to easily (they are made of chip board/craft wood).

I start my babies when they are about 5 weeks or so and make it fun for them. I start slowly and I don't expect them to stand longer than 5 seconds or so to start with, then build up on it. I try to stack as quick as possible and not fart around with foot placement to start with. Pups get sick of you taking to much time to do something (just think of your own impatient children when you think of puppies :laugh: ) .

I start stacking my babies very young. Not physically forcing them into shape but just encouraging them to stand still by themselves and be four square and allow themselves to be touched all over and have their feet and head and tails touched and fiddled with. This doesn't make them sour, it just helps them to avoid the "silly wriggles" that most puppies get into if they aren't accustomed to being asked to stand still.

I also find that by doing this it helps with grooming, nail clipping and vaccinations, worming etc. To me it is just part of the "normal" handling of a very young puppy.

Editing to add an example:

This is a puppy which is 3 weeks and 6 days old. I'm doing the "holding" and taking the photo as well. You can see how calm and relaxed he is.

post-864-1265163371_thumb.jpg

Edited by ellz

Have been doing the food reward for walking into the stack,they arent very good yet but are getting the hang of it.I just have to be patient,not worry about foot placement etc until they have just learnt to just stand still.Am doing it now when they are up the road,inside,just out in the yard etc multiple times a day so they think its a game.

thanks everyone for the advice so far.