Chelsea Hurts Her Leg

skwo2

Chelsea was running around at home and jumping onto the sofa as usual, but today, after running a few rounds, and then jumped onto the sofa, she screamed in pain. Then she was limping on her back right leg, and only walked with her 3 legs afterwards.

I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow, as they are closed now.

Can anyone give me any advise for the time being. Thanks.

That's bad luck. I hope she will be ok.

It could be several things, it's impossible to say without seeing her. The vet will tell you tomorrow when he has examned her.

Keep her quiet, don't allow her to run around (she probably wont want to), keep her a little confined, and give her a soft bed to lie on to protect the leg from the hard ground. If she sleeps on your bed, or the sofa, ensure she doesn't jump down and do more damage.

Let us know how she goes at the vet, please?

Don't want to scare you but it could also be an avulsion fracture. Basically, the ligaments holding the kneecap in place pull away from the bone and take some bone flakes with them. IF that is it, you could be up for some rather large $$$$$ to repair it. It is very common in smaller breeds of dog.

I hope it is something simple and easy to repair.

Whatever it is will probably require at the very least crate rest for a few weeks to avoid aggravating the problem.

I woke up the other day to find Maddy "dragging" her back legs behind her. I freaked and carried her to car to go to the vets thinking it could be a tick. Well by the time we got to the surgery she sort of jumped out of the car and limped into the surgery looking much better.

She had probably strained a muscle and the anti inflammatories worked well. It was harder keeping her quiet for a couple of days.

Hopefully for you it's muscular or something simple.

Just back from the vet and the vet said it is cruciate ligament rupture.

The vet showed me the "drawer sign" and certain that this is the case, no need for x-ray

Chelsea needs to have a surgery to correct this problem

Yes, Chelsea is a small breed, bichon frise, 3.5 years old

Edited by skwo2

Just back from the vet and the vet said it is cruciate ligament rupture.

The vet showed me the "drawer sign" and certain that this is the case, no need for x-ray

Chelsea needs to have a surgery to correct this problem

Yes, Chelsea is a small breed, bichon frise, 3.5 years old

Sorry to hear this Skwo :thumbsup:

Hi Skwo, yes, surgery is the only way to correct a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, and it is very common in dogs. There are a few differnt types of surgery but the one performed most often is the placement of a synthetic ligament structure. The unfortunate thing is, that around 1/2 of dogs will also tear the same ligament on the other leg, we see a lot of this. On the brighter side, your dog will usually recover to be as physically capable as before, although some develop a chronic limp - which is usually a habit (no pain). But don't worry - Chelsea will be running around in a few weeks. Just make sure you follow your vet's instructions on keeping her quiet.