Clippers

winewood

Hi , my old Oster clippers just died and trying to get some research on a new one. I was told avoid Oster they get too hot, Andis or Wahl are the better which is opposite to someone else said avoid Wahl. My Oster might have been the original Oster clipper which I brought second hand more than 15yrs ago has survived two Airedales now 2 Cockers and only recently started to get hot. Last service he said not worth servicing just use till they start gettting hot, but never had a problem with it so now I'm totally confused 15yrs plus, seems pretty good and reliable to me. Help and advise required before I buy .

Many thanks

I like Wahl. Have just replaced my original set that lasted 8 years (actually still running, but I wanted to upgrade) and did many many cocker clips with them.

My new ones are the Wahl KM2 and they are lovely to use. Excellent service from http://www.coastalsharpening.com.au/ this time, and they repair and service as well.

They run very quietly and give a very smooth clip. For pets I would reccommend the single speed.

Edited by Toohey

I like Wahl. Have just replaced my original set that lasted 8 years (actually still running, but I wanted to upgrade) and did many many cocker clips with them.

My new ones are the Wahl KM2 and they are lovely to use. Excellent service from http://www.coastalsharpening.com.au/ this time, and they repair and service as well.

They run very quietly and give a very smooth clip. For pets I would reccommend the single speed.

Why just the single speed and have you tried the wahl steel combs on cockers?

Edited by winewood

I can't see any use for the faster speed unless you have very heavy coats to clip, and you won't have if you have your own clippers and keep on top of it. My original set was single speed and they were more than adequate.

Not tried the steel combs, I pretty much stick to my number ten blades for nearly everything.

Thanks, to be honest I only clip the heads and ears, use mars, furminator and fine tooth comb. Basicaly I have them in a short show cut as I use them for field work and have tried to not clip as curly coats are harder to get the burs and critters out of as they run in and out of tussock grass and blackberry bushes. Overseas are using the combs saying that although clipping using the combs does'nt alter the coat making it go curly, which would make it a lot easier for me if this is true they need the hair to protect their body from the sharp bushes and tree branches but not the length and not curly. I have a blue with a great coat a little thin for showing but great for me and a solid black who is my problem so thick with hair that grows in every direction. A friend did clip him for me before christmas but only the back and sides and has gone a little curly but I've been working on him with the mars and fine tooth comb hoping to get it back again although he looked good I do regret it. Can I get it back or is it too late now ?

Edited by winewood

Hi winewood,if your Osters motor still goes but gets hot,send it to me,most likely the other guy couldn't get it apart,they are fragile at the age,and he most likely never had the parts for it,we do.I only charge $15 for the service only if I get it going,nothing if I don't.

But if it doesn't go at all,these days I would go for the Wahl SS, buy it from Clipperworld, because they will look after you if you have any problems.

Other sellers you will have fun with,which you don't need.

Andis clippers are expensive to start with, and are a very good clipper till they start to play-up, then you are at the mercy of the distributor(KraMar)

KraMar which don't like to part with their parts for the Andis clipper, plus the parts are expensive.

Oster clippers these days are very disappointing, the reason they get hot is they still have brass bush bearings in the motor(old technology), brass bush bearings went out with the world war 2.

The reason I say Wahl SS to buy, is that the motor doesn't work to hard, as in the KM 2 they work twice as hard, and will only last half the time.

All clippers on the market these days nearly every 12 months if the clipper is worked daily, the cord breaks where it goes into the clipper which is easy to fix.

Wahl parts are a good price, they are easy to repair and don't cost a lot to maintain.

Please get back with questions,nicestman77.

I take it your dogs are entire? If so, there is always hope. In my experience it is removing their hormones that causes coats to become overly thick, wayward and wooly.

I have clipped entire dogs and known others who have done so, and been able to put the dogs back in the ring when the coat grows back.

it does depend on the coat though. Have you tried handstripping?

buy it from Clipperworld, because they will look after you if you have any problems.

Other sellers you will have fun with,which you don't need.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there.

Edited by Toohey

I take it your dogs are entire? If so, there is always hope. In my experience it is removing their hormones that causes coats to become overly thick, wayward and wooly.

I have clipped entire dogs and known others who have done so, and been able to put the dogs back in the ring when the coat grows back.

it does depend on the coat though. Have you tried handstripping?

Sorry should have said both desexed black is male, blue female, since being clipped I then tided him up with just the thinning scissors was this also a mistake did it make it worse, and is there hope? Thinking of buy from Feather Edge ??????

Edited by winewood

Why just the single speed and have you tried the wahl steel combs on cockers?

Clipper blades were designed 30 plus years ago to only work at 2100 spm(stokes per minute)

That is the speed they work properly at, f you over revv them they are only cutting on the tips, and then need resharpening more often, more revvs doesn't mean you are cutting quicker, all you are doing is making the blade hotter quickly, and a hot blade is not a good blade.

It is like a lawn mower revving it's guts out trying to cut grass, it chews it up, instead of throwing it out the side, and away from the tynes.

Had not heard of Feather Edge but just had a look and their prices are great!

Am trying to upload a pic of my gold boy to show you his coat, but Photobucket is down. He was desexed at 6 months and his coat changed immensely in the following months. I tried to strip it out with the coat King but it was hopeless - really thick and fluffy, and so now I clip their backs (had two girls go the same after desexing) and leave their feathering, so they still look like Cockers.

Have had two pair of Osters...... over 30 + years..........

Bought a pair of Wahl KM and couldn't wish for a better clipper. Bought from Clipperworld, excellent service too.

Edited by Cala

I think in the older days, Oster was the best at the time, it had not much to compete with.

But it is time to realize that Oster are not going to improve the quality of the clipper, Oster motors are old technology.

Wahl motors are different in which they don't get hot(modern), if Wahl/Andis can make clippers that doesn't get hot Oster should be able to.

I agree with poodle3081 comments.

It all comes down the efficiency of the blade.

Another Wahl fan here, I started with the show pro when I got my first boy, but once I decided I was going to be clipping all of my lot myself, I thought I would upgrade to the km ss, they are fantastic, I have a 10 blade and a set of SS guide combs which I do use as a 10 blade clip would be way to short for my lot, I still like to leave them with at least a 1/2 inch clip which the combs are great for. One thing I will say about the combs is they do leave thier coats a little choppy, but with my lot thier fur is wavy to curly so you don't notice it much and once they have been clipped for a week you don't notice it at all!! I am thinking about getting a longer blade for a smoother clip, but for the time being all good. My lot are clipped about every 8 weeks, and occasionally I have done all 4 in one day and the clippers have never missed a beat. I have not heard of feather edge, must go for a look and check out the blade prices. Good luck, you wont go wrong with Wahl!!

Okay so next question from me...

What blades to get? I think they all come with no. 10 blade already fitted, which will do my poodle's face, feet, tail.

I'm then thinking about no. 30 (to use with combs) and no. 4 (to do over the short bits of the body).

Do I really need the no. 30? That's the one I'm least sure about. Does the no. 10 work well enough with the combs? I have a bichon as well and I might want to do a quick job of his body from time to time, rather than do the scissoring each time, so combs are something I might want to use sometimes.

Okay so next question from me...

What blades to get? I think they all come with no. 10 blade already fitted, which will do my poodle's face, feet, tail.

I'm then thinking about no. 30 (to use with combs) and no. 4 (to do over the short bits of the body).

Do I really need the no. 30? That's the one I'm least sure about. Does the no. 10 work well enough with the combs? I have a bichon as well and I might want to do a quick job of his body from time to time, rather than do the scissoring each time, so combs are something I might want to use sometimes.

I have the No 10 blade and I use it with the SS combs and it works a treat. I am going to get a longer blade 4 or 5 so I don't have to use the combs all the time. I dont think there would be any need for a 30 blade the 10 does a great job. Do you have a Poodle x? How often do you clip?

Yep - a poodle crossed with something and can jump tall buildings... (she came from the pound a long time ago).

I am only just learning to clip her, and haven't got my clippers yet. I think about every 3-4 weeks probably, with touch-ups in between.