Dogs Barking At Each Other When We're Not Home

benita

You could try longer walks in the morning, with some games included. I think the best idea is keeping them indoors. What about setting up a doggie door so they can go in and out?

Alternatively look into puppy day care?? Or even someone to come by during the day to walk them so that it breaks up their day.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Bunnings & buy 4 packs of the compost metal panels (about $25 per pack).

Join 2 packs together with garden ties to make each dog a pen. This will make a pen 6.5 feet long & 3 feet wide for each dog.

Set them up inside your house & pen & seperate them for a day & see what happens.

When you are home the pens can be folded flat & put behind your lounge, or somewhere out of site.

Its not a long term solution to pen them every time you are out but it may solve the problem/break the habit in the short term.

Its one way to find out.

Sounds like your neighbour has little tolerance for noise, this is a normal sibling rivalry puppy thing for many & they do grow out of it when they get pack order sorted. I would not be looking for a behaviourist for this at this age.

Same as 2 children squabbling over the same toy really.

My Border Terriers are crated separately in the house when home alone, my male is a bit of a yapper but in the house it's muffled to anyone outside (and it's not constant, just when he gets excited :heart:

I started doing this because I wasn't 100% confident in the fences however we've since moved to a house with a more secure fence/yard but I still prefer to crate them - it makes it almost impossible for them to bother anyone and they just sleep anyway :laugh:

My boy is in a 48 inch crate (LOL) and my bitch a 36 inch.

JRTs tend to bark at the drop of a hat.

And you know this how?

I've heard them!! :p I have friends with them. A quick google tells me I'm not alone in my opinion.

They are terriers after all. :o

I'd have thought barking would be one of the reasons why JRTs find themselves in the pound. It's not a criticism but failure to understand a dog's nature must be one of the reasons why so many dogs find their way to you. Not a breed to leave in a backyard untrained, unstimulated and unexercised.

Miniature Poodles are no different.

Edited by poodlefan

JRTs tend to bark at the drop of a hat.

And you know this how?

I've heard them!! :D I have friends with them. A quick google tells me I'm not alone in my opinion.

They are terriers after all. :o

I'd have thought barking would be one of the reasons why JRTs find themselves in the pound. It's not a criticism but failure to understand a dog's nature must be one of the reasons why so many dogs find their way to you. Not a breed to leave in a backyard untrained, unstimulated and unexercised.

Miniature Poodles are no different.

So speaking in "general terms", many small dogs and many larger dogs will bark at the drop of a hat.

I have owned 2 JRT's for over 5 years, they do not bark at the drop of a hat. Nor do all others I know. Much of it is down to individual temperament and training.

The don't find their way to me, rather Jill who runs jrtrescue. Reasons for dumping are manifold, mostly lack of committment.

:smashpc:

So speaking in "general terms", many small dogs and many larger dogs will bark at the drop of a hat.

Barking dogs are the leading source of neighbourhood disputes throughout the country. The short answer to your question is YES. Why they will is a combination of breed, environment, stimulation and management.

Looking at your 2007 post below, it seems you agreed at one point.

I have owned 2 JRT's for over 5 years, they do not bark at the drop of a hat. Nor do all others I know. Much of it is down to individual temperament and training

It seems that once you acknowledged that JRTs could have issues with barking:

The thing about JRTs is that they are very determined and persistant, that is in the breeding. So in a good situation, wtih good training they can be wonderful dogs.

But if left to fence run, or out in a yard all day and night without any attention, thier busy little brains will find something to do, and barking is one of those things (digging is another). I think it can a sign of loneliness in a Jack or even being left out all night when it is too cold or something like that, in this case they may well apply thier persistance to sending the message that they are cold and alone, and could bark all night in that situation.

I agree by the way.

Many kinds of dogs, if left alone for long hours in a back yard, will bark and yap. Jrts don't deserve to be singled out especially for this behaviour.

They do need attention and exercise and like any dogs that have developed the habit of nuisance barking need some help and training and adjustments made to their housing to overcome this.

I think they end up in the pounds because people don't learn how to train them, or they escape, or if left in a yard alone all day will probably bark. They love being with people all the time and are not suitable to be left alone for long hours, also they are an energetic working dog and really need their daily exercise and activities.

The OP's dogs are home alone all day in the yard. :o

It seems that once you acknowledged that JRTs could have issues with barking:

The thing about JRTs is that they are very determined and persistant, that is in the breeding. So in a good situation, wtih good training they can be wonderful dogs.

But if left to fence run, or out in a yard all day and night without any attention, thier busy little brains will find something to do, and barking is one of those things (digging is another). I think it can a sign of loneliness in a Jack or even being left out all night when it is too cold or something like that, in this case they may well apply thier persistance to sending the message that they are cold and alone, and could bark all night in that situation.

Very conditional though, - left out all night in the cold, left to fence run, no attention - that post was about JRTs, the same comments would apply to most working dogs, not just terriers, oh and small white fluffys, Mini Pinschers and similar.

A far cry from your "drop of the hat" assertion.

Great to see you going to so much trouble to make your point, well done! :o

Poodlefan, are the JRT's you know from registered ethical breeders? Because the dogs where our puppy is coming from are the opposite of everything you've stated (not just in this thread) about the breed.

Any dog is prone to barking when not stimulated, or when over stimulated!

To the OP- i think you need to do some experimenting- allowing the dogs in, changing the way they behave with toys around when you are there etc. What do they do if you give them a treat ball each?

Poodlefan, are the JRT's you know from registered ethical breeders? Because the dogs where our puppy is coming from are the opposite of everything you've stated (not just in this thread) about the breed.

Any dog is prone to barking when not stimulated, or when over stimulated!

To the OP- i think you need to do some experimenting- allowing the dogs in, changing the way they behave with toys around when you are there etc. What do they do if you give them a treat ball each?

Your dog's breeder lives on acreage doesn't she? Do her JRTs run offlead every day? I've read more than one breeder's view that JRTs are not a good choice for the suburbs.

The one next door definitely wasn't. Owner was (dog didn't last there) a complete tool. At least a few of my acquaintance are pedigreed. They bark when they are excited that's for sure. And they get excited about many things.

I never said they ALL bark. I expect those owned by knowledgeable folk that need their needs wouldn't be that prone. But a lot of websites point to their active natures and tendency to be territorial - and that can produce a real headache if not catered for.

Walking past ring 2 at a dog show tends to produce evidence of the JRT's tendency to bark.

Muttaburra:

Great to see you going to so much trouble to make your point, well done! :D

No trouble at all. I found it difficult to believe that anyone who professes a sound knowledge of the breed would deny that they can be reactive barkers - your posts supported that view :) A few breed reviews I read said that the barking can become obsessive if not managed early and well. :o

It's quite clear this is touching nerves. However if someone told me that they wanted a small dog that didn't tend towards barking, the JRT would not be my recommendation. In a situation suited to their working roots and with owners prepared to cater fully for the dogs needs, things might be different. I don't know many JRT owners who fit that profile. :smashpc:

Edited by poodlefan

Yes the breeder is on acreage. She also runs a boarding kennel though so its not like the dogs have access to the acreage all the time and her dogs are very quiet- even with the comings and goings of boarding dogs and owners and other reactive dogs around. I know they're not the 'norm' but i also don't think most 'JRT's' that i see (who usually have issues) are from registered breeders.

I am always mindful that the dogs i see are not always representative of entire breeds, particularly those that are not common or those i don't get to see as puppies- as i often see the 'naughty' ones as adults.

"Not a breed to leave in a backyard untrained, unstimulated and unexercised"- What breed is? :o

I've read more than one breeder's view that JRTs are not a good choice for the suburbs.

To be honest, I have read more crap on breed pages about Jack Russell Terriers on the internet than I could poke a stick at.

Jack Russells are excellent companion dogs, quite suited to the suburbs and some even being quiet and settled enough for apartments. Their main requirement is a certain level of human companionship, and guidance and training from that human, a moderate amount of exercise and some mental stimulation.

All easy things to provide in the suburbs.

I've read more than one breeder's view that JRTs are not a good choice for the suburbs.

To be honest, I have read more crap on breed pages about Jack Russell Terriers on the internet than I could poke a stick at.

Jack Russells are excellent companion dogs, quite suited to the suburbs and some even being quiet and settled enough for apartments. Their main requirement is a certain level of human companionship, and guidance and training from that human, a moderate amount of exercise and some mental stimulation.

So how do you propose the OP provide what's needed to keep these pups quiet?

Edited by poodlefan

"Not a breed to leave in a backyard untrained, unstimulated and unexercised"- What breed is? :laugh:

That description describes the life of a hell of a lot of dogs, not all of whom drive the neighbourhood beserk. I'd wouldn't recommend any dog for such an environment but I'd NEVER recommend any dog with working roots and a high level of activity.

Strangely I've just described a lot of 'purebred' pound inhabitants. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

So how do you propose the OP provide what's needed to keep these pups quiet?

Suggestions have already been made as to what could be tried.

Since the noise seems to derive from a habit of a certain game, where one barks at the other when it has a toy or something, separation and housing indoors certainly would be worth a try. Not rocket science eh? :laugh: Each could be given (also already suggested on this thread) a Kong with frozen treats to keep them occupied.

Jack Russells are over-represented in the pounds, certainly, they are a favourite of Backyard Breeders (of the non-registered kind), they are also sold at pet-shops with little advice given, they are escape artists and can dig or climb their way out of a yard, this also adds to the unplanned pregnancy issues, since they are more likely to be out and about to procreate.

As to the ratio of JRT's born to the dumping/escape/lost rate, I don't know, statistically it might not much greater than other breeds.

I am surrounded by 3 JRTS in seperate homes and the little ***'ers all bark too much for my liking.

Great little dogs but I too think they tend to bark more than some other breeds.

When I book them in I always make sure the owner is to come back within one hour as I don't want them here longer than necessary. :laugh:

Muttaburra:

Since the noise seems to derive from a habit of a certain game, where one barks at the other when it has a toy or something, separation and housing indoors certainly would be worth a try. Not rocket science eh? Each could be given (also already suggested on this thread) a Kong with frozen treats to keep them occupied.

So you'd be happy to see 4 month old pups kept inside alone for 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week? :laugh: Sorry but I fail to see how an active pup is expected to achieve any form of toilet training or any sort of decent muscle development in such a situation. They'd have to be crated or penned in separate rooms.

A pretty sad future for an active little working terrier IMO. I'm no great fan of debarking but I think that would be kinder than life in a crate. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

Join 2 packs together with garden ties to make each dog a pen. This will make a pen 6.5 feet long & 3 feet wide for each dog.

Set them up inside your house & pen & seperate them for a day & see what happens.

When you are home the pens can be folded flat & put behind your lounge, or somewhere out of site.

Its not a long term solution to pen them every time you are out but it may solve the problem/break the habit in the short term.

Its one way to find out.

Sounds like your neighbour has little tolerance for noise, this is a normal sibling rivalry puppy thing for many & they do grow out of it when they get pack order sorted. I would not be looking for a behaviourist for this at this age.

I like this idea too.

Its one way to find out.

I like this idea too.

Unless a pup catches a leg trying to climb out :laugh: If the pups are to be penned, only a roofed pen would be safe to leave them in unsupervised.

Edited by poodlefan