Dogs Barking At Each Other When We're Not Home

benita

We have brother and sister Jack Russells who are 4 months old.

We're currently having a problem - or more to the point the neighbours are - with the boy - Oscar - barking at his sister Lucy. The most common situation is that Lucy has found a leaf/stone/toy and is laying next to it, keeping it from her brother and he yelps his lungs out.

Sometimes she won't even have anything but he'll bark at her for attention. This happens during the day as we both work.

We never have a problem when we're home and they don't seem to bark at other dogs, noises or people etc. This makes it hard to correct them or 'ignore' them because he isn't barking for our attention.

We try to walk them for 30-40 minutes every morning and play with them at night to tire them out and stimulate them.

Can anyone suggest the best course of action here? On the rare occasion it happens while we're home we quickly correct his behaviour but neighbours have made complaints that he goes on during the day. I'm willing to put in the work but I don't know what to do?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edited by benita

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, can anyone help?

Like I said it happens when we're out so I don't know how to correct his behaviour. Ive considered keeping them inside during the day to see if that makes a difference?

Hi Benita. Are the dogs allowed to be inside while you're out? i.e. do you have a doggy door (or can you get one) so they can go inside? Our dogs seem to prefer to be inside and even though we leave toys out for them, they just sleep the whole day, which is bliss.

First off, separate the dogs when you leave them so it doesn't aggravate the neighbours further and doesn't become such an ingrained habit that it's almost impossible to break. It's a very self rewarding behaviour so easily established as a habit.

As for stopping it, I wouldn't have any idea where to start, my dogs are never left alone together so I've never thought about this problem. Hope someone can help you out.

Another idea is perhaps a citronella or similar collar that you use for Oscar. I would use this as a last resort though, and perhaps try what others recommend.

ETA: just re-read your post and saw the age of the pups. I don't think I would be using one of these collars on dogs so young.

Edited by poochmad

First off, separate the dogs when you leave them so it doesn't aggravate the neighbours further and doesn't become such an ingrained habit that it's almost impossible to break. It's a very self rewarding behaviour so easily established as a habit.

As for stopping it, I wouldn't have any idea where to start, my dogs are never left alone together so I've never thought about this problem. Hope someone can help you out.

I don't think separating them would be off much help. So many times I've heard people suggest company for the lone dog who barks?? I had a similar problem many years ago. Our elderly neighbour complained that one of my dogs barked insecently when I was at work. Turned out it barked at him while he stood one the decking of his two story home overlooking our yard. What did he expect? Of course my dog would bark at what she considered an intrusion into our property. I had to keep them indoors during the day, fortunately they were small dogs and they preferred to be indoors anyway. Hmmm perhaps the dogs had set this up with the neighbour?? :laugh:

At the risk of being shot down, my jack russell and two of my three poodles are debarked. They dont bother anyone and get to live a happy life at our house instead of being rehomed.

I would nver have done it in the past but one of my dogs breeders does it and I saw it was no worse then a child having there tonsils out.

I fully understand that a lot of people wont agree with me even my husband didnt but now he says he is glad we did it.

I was going to ask you, if they have access inside the house?

Do you train them separately? Or, are they always together? Can you leave them apart during the day?

During the day they're outside with a doggy door through to the garage. When we're home they're let into the house. It never seems as though he's barking to come inside though, only at her.

Unfortunately we don't really have the space or means to seperate them.

I don't think separating them would be off much help. So many times I've heard people suggest company for the lone dog who barks??

I don't subscribe to this "cure" - you usually end up with two barking dogs. These are puppies, no doubt Oscar is being a brat as dog puppies do and his sister is treating him with contempt as bitch puppies do :( Another good reason for not buying siblings.

Separating them will stop Oscar yapping at everything his sister does (or doesn't do as the case may be) until OP can work out a way to keep him amused or until he gets a bit older, mind you being a JRT he's programmed to get easily excited and tell everyone all about it.

Hmmm perhaps the dogs had set this up with the neighbour?? :rofl:

Wouldn't surprise me at all :laugh:

The first thing i would do is take a day off work .

Pretend to leave & see exactly how long they bark,if there is any particular time there worse.

May be boring but it gives you an idea of how annoying your dogs are or whether its an over kill by the neighbours.Although some JR can be vocal monsters.

Even better if you have a video camera or can borrow one & set it up to see what he does whilst your not there.

I gather you go out at other times than just work so do they complain then about noise or has it just been work hrs??

You may need to create a different environment that will suit his needs whilst outside so he doesnt rely on her for playing

I was going to ask you, if they have access inside the house?

Do you train them separately? Or, are they always together? Can you leave them apart during the day?

During the day they're outside with a doggy door through to the garage. When we're home they're let into the house. It never seems as though he's barking to come inside though, only at her.

Unfortunately we don't really have the space or means to seperate them.

If they are inside, when he barks at her, the neighbours won't be bothered as much.. LOL

Maybe you could take him out longer on the walk without her. He might have a higher energy level then her? so you have to work on him more. After the walk, have a quick training session with him alone before you leave. Basically, just tire him out more.

I don't think separating them would be off much help. So many times I've heard people suggest company for the lone dog who barks?? I had a similar problem many years ago. Our elderly neighbour complained that one of my dogs barked insecently when I was at work. Turned out it barked at him while he stood one the decking of his two story home overlooking our yard. What did he expect? Of course my dog would bark at what she considered an intrusion into our property. I had to keep them indoors during the day, fortunately they were small dogs and they preferred to be indoors anyway. Hmmm perhaps the dogs had set this up with the neighbour?? :laugh:

It is worth a try though.

To the OP - make sure they can't see eachother.

It is worth a try though.

To the OP - make sure they can't see eachother.

Hmm. I'd be surprised if there wasn't more noise if the pups were separated, especially since they are used to each other, can't see each other, but can smell. You might end up with two dogs upset - both barking/howling.

Others have suggested this I know, but I do think keeping them inside in a pen with toys blankets etc would work. Maybe a couple of 'kongs' with their favourite treats inside to keep them amused would be good. My papillons are all inside when we're out and they don't bark at all. They would if I left them outside, because they often do bark at any noise, when we're home and they're outside. Anyway it's worth a try. If you are limited for space or you think they might get out of a pen without a roof, get one of those collapsible galvanised ones that have a roof . I have one pap that can get out of any other kind of pen but not this one. Good luck.

We have brother and sister Jack Russells who are 4 months old.

We're currently having a problem - or more to the point the neighbours are - with the boy - Oscar - barking at his sister Lucy. The most common situation is that Lucy has found a leaf/stone/toy and is laying next to it, keeping it from her brother and he yelps his lungs out.

Given what you have reported as the cause of barking, surely a trial separation is logically the most sensible thing you can do? Rather than speculate about what might happen, it won't do any harm to try.

I don't want to cause alarm, but JRT housemates have a higher probability of fighting each other than the average across all breeds. This is not so much of a concern on it's own (there are lots of JRTs who live together and don't fight), but they are also littermates which increases the probability again. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get them used to the idea of being separated while you are out, if not every day then at least with some regularity. Just a safeguard so that if there is any tension between them in future you aren't changing the picture too drastically if you need to separate them for any period.

If my dogs were playing this sort of "control game" with each other I would be teaching them to defer to each other and to me. Things like having one play tug while the other waits politely, tethered or crated if necessary, then swap - that sort of thing. If you came to me I would be looking at things like politeness around food treats ("doggy zen") and little things like that.

I work for a local government and it is a very long process before they can take you dogs away.. Try not to give them any reason to pick on you, eg make sure that regos are up to date, fenced property etc, basically all the responsible pet things.

If you PM me i can forward a copy of the Dog Laws for WA if you want. What state are you in? Have the neighbours been issued with a bark diary?

Basically what that is is 2 people form the same household and 1 other resident from surrounding area must complete a diary on when the dogs bark, they then submit them to the shire/city for comparision. The ranger will then contact you, you get given a certrain amount of time to recitfy the problem, neighbours are then given another diary for completion. If dogs are still barking then you can get fined. I t has to go through the courts before they can remove the dogs from the premises. The only way they can do that is if they ATTACK some one and being they are 4 months old i doubt anyone will get anything other then puppy breath and drool on them.

If you want the Local Laws, let me know. Im assuming most states would be the same on this issue. :laugh:

If the trouble is that one is taking possession of the toy and the other wants it, it might be worth hanging the toy from the ceiling, slightly off the ground. This makes it quite hard for either dog to take possession. Might make things worse . . . but I think you're going to find yourself trying various things.

As far as I can see there's no question. Get two large stable crates, separate the dogs in a crate in separate rooms during the day and do intensive work with each dog individually. Walk them separately, train them separately and only have them together, supervised, until they are both happy and quiet. If they bark when they see each other then split them up and if need be go through some quick obedience.

If the council is involved because your neighbours are upset, there's no way I'd be leaving the dogs outside when away from the house.

Good luck!

For a long term solution, summon a good trainer.

You might also rehome one dog.

However, you bought a very vocal breed. You bought littermates - something most trainers and breeders would not recommned.

JRTs tend to bark at the drop of a hat. They are too young to tire out with exercise, too young for aversive collars and you're only other option to try is keeping them inside. I find the idea of crating baby puppies all day unpalatable.

How does anyone know which one of the two is barking? :o