Labrador Losing Weight

*Avanti*

Please update us when you get the bloods report. I don't want to comment before info is complete . . . other than to say that loosing weight isn't a common problem with Labbies. I would be worried that pancreatitis was a sign of pancreatic cancer (horrendous, incurable disease that progresses rapidly . . . common in dogs .. . my mother died of it) . . . not sure if bloods would show that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please update us when you get the bloods report. I don't want to comment before info is complete . . . other than to say that loosing weight isn't a common problem with Labbies. I would be worried that pancreatitis was a sign of pancreatic cancer (horrendous, incurable disease that progresses rapidly . . . common in dogs .. . my mother died of it) . . . not sure if bloods would show that.

Thanks for all your well wishes.

My only update tonight is I'll know more tomorrow now. After days of waiting and calling to be told a vet had to call me back I was in a situation where I had to turn my mobile off for two hours this arvo. I then got home to a message on the answering machine saying "We do need to speak with you about Heidi's blood test results" but it was too late to call back. The 'do' means something has shown I presume.

She's being seen at an Animal Hospital which is where she was a patient. A wonderful hospital but they are extremely busy. It'll be a long night now, all a bit worried here.

(Edited for typo and remove names [out of etiquette])

Edited by WhiteEagle

:)

Thinking of you.

Thank you persephone. :(

I just got the results and this is what I know so far:

(I don't know how to interpret these results but asked for the detailed info so I hope I have correct spelling etc)

Apparently the kidney enzymes are showing to be high but were not last July when she had the same test:

urea 10 (I was told normal is 3.6 - 8.9)

creatine 203 ( " normal is 62 - 150)

The better news:

thyroid normal

liver enzymes normal

white cell count not high

not diabetic

They said the next step is for a urine test.

Waiting bites! Hope you hear back soon :hugs:

Thanks zayda_asher, we obviously cross-posted. :thumbsup:

ETA

Edited by WhiteEagle

Thanks zayda_asher, we obviously cross-posted. :(

ETA

Whoops, we must have! :)

Well at least you are able to start narrowing down the field on what it might be... that's a good start at least, even if its not a definitive answer yet! Its still progress :thumbsup:

Remeber tests quite often rule things out as opposed to telling you what it is.

So even though you don't know for sure what is going on, you know there are lots of things it isn't - which is a good thing!

Yes there was some relief in hearing the info. There's worry in just not knowing what the kidney enzymes reading means. They said her problem still could be EPI.

I've just managed to collect a urine sample from her (boy was that a challenge with a girl who likes her privacy! :eek:) so am heading off to take that in to the hospital now.

Remeber tests quite often rule things out as opposed to telling you what it is.

So even though you don't know for sure what is going on, you know there are lots of things it isn't - which is a good thing!

Yes there was some relief in hearing the info. There's worry in just not knowing what the kidney enzymes reading means. They said her problem still could be EPI.

I've just managed to collect a urine sample from her (boy was that a challenge with a girl who likes her privacy! :laugh: ) so am heading off to take that in to the hospital now.

Congrads on getting a urine sample. I've always dreaded that some vet is going to tell me to provide one.

If you're worried about EPI, you might find the following link useful

http://canineepi.yuku.com/directory

Bump. Any news? Fingers crossed for your girl.

Thanks sandgrubber, I was going to post tonight. It is nice to know some others are thinking of Heidi.

I got the urine test results and they said that early signs of kidney disease are showing. The specific gravity reading was 10.8 (whatever that means as I am new to these terms). So the plan now is a special kidney diet and she has blood and urine tests again in 5 weeks (unless there is no improvement).

The only symptom showing has been the weight loss. She has not been drinking excessively, generally seems pretty alert and happy and has the usual keen Labrador appetite. Her stools are normal.

I can start her off on Hills KD but I may prefer to eventually prepare her meals. I also have to consider the pancreatitis and low fat issues etc so there's some research to do.

A few questions and some I didn't get to ask the vet today:

If anyone has some info on kidney diet it would be appreciated and/or does anyone know good suppliers of the Hills KD or Royal Canine renal support if I go that way (I am in Preston, Melbourne)?

The "canine renal failure diet" recipe I have is beef based so I am not sure if that will be the best. She has not had beef for many months. Are other meats such as chicken breast ok? Are any other supplements/herbal teas recommended?

I will also see about naturopath remedies/advice but it will all take time as funds are tight. I'd spend my last cent on her though if it would help her.

ETA Here is a recent photo of her, I hope in a month she will be looking much better.

post-14871-1265885854_thumb.jpg

Edited by WhiteEagle

Do you mean 1.008 for the urine specific gravity (or maybe 1.018)? (It will usually be a number between 1.001 and 1.050)

Are they running a urine culture and sensitivity test?

Edited by Rappie

Do you mean 1.008 for the urine specific gravity (or maybe 1.018)? (It will usually be a number between 1.001 and 1.050)

Sorry I'm a bit ignorant here. The test was called specific gravity and when I asked 10.8 was a figure I was given and told she was not concentrating her urine. I was hoping I could research it a bit but it's not much help not knowing what it is :thumbsup: .

I can probably get a print-out next week. (As it happened the first urine test got lost in the system and I had to take another one in.) I am also not sure of the other tests you mentioned but I know they tested for glucose and said she is not diabetic.

Sorry I'm a bit ignorant here. The test was called specific gravity and when I asked 10.8 was a figure I was given and told she was not concentrating her urine. I was hoping I could research it a bit but it's not much help not knowing what it is :thumbsup: .

I can probably get a print-out next week. (As it happened the first urine test got lost in the system and I had to take another one in.) I am also not sure of the other tests you mentioned but I know they tested for glucose and said she is not diabetic.

What a bummer! Taking one sample is bad enough!

Sounds like a decimal place has gotten misplaced along with the sample. Specific gravity essentially measures whether something is heavier or lighter than water. A specific gravity of 10 would mean that a litre of the substance weighed 10 times more than a litre of water. Urine is generally a tiny bit heavier than water. The more concentrated urine is, the higher the SG. A dog with a reading of 1.008 would be having trouble concentrating. If the dog isn't passing a lot of water, this probably means that stuff that should be cleaned out with the wee is being retained.

My concern would be that a dog with a USG of 1.008 is not concentrating their urine at all, and I would expect the urea and creatinine to be higher if that were the case. You might be asked to get a few different urine samples to compare the USG and see whether it is different on different days.

I would measure her water intake over a few 24 hour periods to get a handle on how much water she is drinking and whether it falls in 'normal' range or not.

Ok - I've only had two dogs that I have had to do this with, but I do say that I've not had a problem in doing it with either. One was my avatar girl, the other my current boy. So I've done it with both sexes as well.

I find the exercise quite easy. Wait for a stream to start and then hold the 'pan' component of a brush and pan, under the stream. I clean the pan properly first, so there is no contamination of the urine it collects. Handle makes it easy and I don't get splashed. It has a broad base, so too much precision in your aim isn't required. Can hold a good amount and it is easy to pour/transfer to a suitable container. Whilst I'm waiting for the 'stream' I act quite nonchalant and don't make a big deal about anything. Job's done before dog can say "what the ...?" :D.

For the females, come in from behind with the pan. With the boys, come in from the side/front.

Edited by Erny

Ok - I've only had two dogs that I have had to do this with, .....

Looks like we're weirder than I thought. For my girl I put on a disposable glove and collect directly into a sterile specimen jar. Generally on the nature strip along from my house first thing in the morning. I seldom get a splash on my hand and it provides entertainment for the office workers heading for the bus. Easy peasy.

Same for the boy - although getting the jar in the right spot is a little trickier :-)

I've had quite a bit of practice though :-(

I hope your girl is soon improving WE.