When Pigs Fly.

tez

I'm reading 'When Pigs Fly...training sucess with impossible dogs' by Jane Killion.

Even though I have just started reading it, it has me really excited about clicker training. Can't wait to get some clickers tomorrow and start! Suddenly it all makes sense!!!

Has anyone else read this book...if so...what did you think about it???

Lucky you, Tassie!

I started reading the first few pages of this book and Jane ticked all the boxes as an 'impossible' dog...but then I already sort of knew that!

At least now I can get a handle on how to better train her! Having only had Kelpie x's before, she has really spun me out training wise as she is soooo not a Kelpie/ BC!!!

The book was cheap too...$12 approx from U.S.A!

Fantastic book :laugh: Not biased because I have a Bull Terrier and have met Jane :) It's one of the best dog training books that I've read. Pele, my Bull Terrier has a CD title and we are aiming towards CDX :drink: It works :rofl:

Guest belgian.blue

It is a book only suited to naughty/hard to train dogs? Or just overall a great training book?

I want to learn clicker with my new pup but don't know where to start. Even though Belgians are very eager to please their owner.

It is a book only suited to naughty/hard to train dogs? Or just overall a great training book?

I'm pretty sure anyone, regardless of their dogs biddability, would find this book good for clicker training.

Even though I have read and heard about clicker training before, this book has really explained the process very well( at least to me). The author also explains why it works so well for dogs who really DON'T want to please their owners and I am really looking forward to seeing how well Jane and I do with the exercises she outlines.

Don't get me wrong, Jane has done very well with her training so far (at nearly 12 months old) but I have never really been able to grab her attention and she is definetly a 'why should I do that" sort of dog.

Hi - this book is brilliant - very easy to read and commonsense.

I've used these methods on some very stubborn bullies and they do work. I think it's a winner because it's all about making training enjoyable for your dog.

Have loaned it to friends who have also found it useful - the good part about it is the methods are very adaptable and there can be variations depending on individual circumstances.

I'm reading 'When Pigs Fly...training sucess with impossible dogs' by Jane Killion.

Even though I have just started reading it, it has me really excited about clicker training. Can't wait to get some clickers tomorrow and start! Suddenly it all makes sense!!!

Has anyone else read this book...if so...what did you think about it???

I've got it - and two Border Terriers who do agility, earthdog etc. It's a fabulous book for all dog training, not just for flying pigs!!

Clicker training is good.....i hate the clicker, personal thing, so i just say "yes" instead....works for us and no irritating click to annoy me or anyone else :)

I hate clicker training too, also a personal thing. When Im teaching my girl something new and she gets it, a "yes" works well for us and Ive always got it with me, just like a pat. My dog is easy to train and wants to please me as I am fun to be with from a doggy point of view, I reckon anyway.

I love the concept of marker training and have been getting more and more into shaping, but I am another one who uses 'yes' instead of a clicker. I'm really unco, so it's just one less thing for me to carry.

I am still able to shape behaviours quite easily with the yes marker as the concept is the same as clicker training.

I haven't read the book in the OP but I've been dying to for ages - must get a copy!