Wetting The Bed

Hey everyone

Looks like my little girl seems to be wetting the bed on a regular basis now. At first it was only rare and I put it down to not being aware she needed to go to the toilet before sleep time. Now that I make sure shes been to the toilet before bed, I still get instances where there is a small wet patch in the morning. But this morning there was a fairly big wet patch in her bed.

I have no idea if she notices it or not, or if shes doing it on purpose as I'm normally asleep when it happens. I do notice she seems to occasionally lick her self throughout the day and I can smell a bit of urine on her breath.

The only time I've noticed that shes wet the bed and not known herself, is when she was sleeping in my bed one morning and I felt a wet patch suddenly form on my leg.

Two other people I know from the dog park who I see almost every morning have said they use to have a similar issue until they had their dog put on hormone tablets and it fixed the problem. I was hoping to avoid that, but if ti works then I'll use it.

What other options are there?

The first thing I would do is to get a urine sample checked by a vet - it can rule out a lot of things like kidney issues and diabetes and may indicate whether a low grade or chronic infection is the cause of incontinence. If there are any abnormalities there, they can be followed up, otherwise you could trial the medication if it is indicated.

You need to go to the vet. I have had this issue with one of my older girls, she'd always been very clean - always had access to get in the garden and this then started. It seemed to be mainly when she'd been sleeping for a while.

Had some tests done, it wasn't a urinary tract infection, it was an age thing. Vet put her on some meds, I think we adjusted the dose and that was it, problem sorted.

Edited by dogmad