Haaaaiiiirrrrr!

Dame Aussie

:):laugh::o Sorry, I Knew it had to be an Aussie as soon as I read your message. You get use to living with furballs and clogged vacumn cleaners. You could just about make a new dog with the hair you get of them with one grooming during their moult and some are worse than others. A really powerful dog blower helps abit tp get rid of some of the excess but be prepared to inhale a few hairballs. :D

They are well and truely worth the inconvinience though, gives new meaning to "Hair today, gone tomorrow"

Buy a box of latex gloves and keep them near the front door, great for going over your clothes and getting rid of the hair before you go out.

Buy a cheap dog rake (the type that looks like a hacksaw blade, looped or straight) great for raking dog hair on the carpet so that it can be vacumned, the gloves work too. This is also good for stripping out the dead hair as long as your dog is not a show dog as they look somewhat bald afterwards.

Get rid of as much carpet as you can, tiles, wood or lino are all easier to vacumn dog hair from and much easier to keep smelling fresh. Also dogs seem to always head for any carpet when they want to be sick, at least mine do and half my home is tiled.

I can relate!!!! I'm a groomer and I own an Aussie, BC and 2 cats who all seem to shed at the same time!!!! I love the furminator for short undercoats but really haven't found it to be much good for the longer coated dogs. My method of choice is to hydrobath the dog, blow dry with a force dryer and use a metal comb or rake and go through the entire dog section by section. I have the dog on a grooming table and start on the pants by lifting the coat with one hand and combing down small sections until you can run a fine tooth comb through the entire coat. Some dogs it looks like the 'stuffings coming out' when they blow coat (corgies, huskies, GSD's and the like) and you can pluck large chunks out with your fingers to start the process.

A good groomer should be able to have your dog looking fabulous and it may be a ton easier for you to have it done professionally, otherwise get a glass of wine and set aside a few hours :laugh:

She's an Australian Shepherd....

May have to give the furminator a go!

GayleK -that's exactly what happened to me last night :)

I just saw the video after I posted...this is exactly what I'm talking about by plucking with your fingers!!!! Great clip, I wish everyone who wants a spitz type dog would have a look at that before they get one and then find out they can't live with the hair! :laugh:

Did someone say hair?

Sonnyandhairagain3.jpg

Yep, the only other breed I can imagine that sheds more than a Siberian is a Malamute! :)

ETA: Sonny looks grey in that pic!

I just saw the video after I posted...this is exactly what I'm talking about by plucking with your fingers!!!! Great clip, I wish everyone who wants a spitz type dog would have a look at that before they get one and then find out they can't live with the hair! :o

Thanks, you won't believe the number of comments I get from people saying "OMG you're dog is sick!" because they don't realise just how excessive the shedding is for double coated breeds like Sibes, or people saying that it's cruel and I'm hurting them because they don't realise the fur I'm pulling out isn't actually attached to him :)

I adore Sibes but honestly could not own more than one at a time :D the hair is just too much! My beagle sheds a lot but nothing like Micha does!

ETA: Sonny looks grey in that pic!

Yeah he goes through a light coffee colour stage which is probably what he was in that pic, at the moment he is a light/tan auburn colour, he has some very interesting colour changes :laugh:

He definitely does! He was quite red when I saw him at the DOL meet you bought him to.

Bull Terriers only shed twice a year :) From January to June, then July to December :laugh: Bull Terrier fur is like little needles and it sticks into everything. I find that the Zoom Groom works best for Pele. I did buy a copy of a Furminator but the Zoom Groom works best on Pele.

IMO the latex gloves are the best for wiping dog hair from clothes, car seats etc. The side of a rubber thong works well too :o

One day years ago I was walking Mishko, a friend's Siberian Husky along the beach with Jessie, my Bull Terrier. I'd stopped to chat and at the same time was plucking Sibe fluff from Mishko's hindquarters. On the way back someone commented to me that they thought that a dog had caught one of the many rabbits in the dunes. They didn't believe me when I said that it was from Mishko, until I plucked a few more handfuls :)

Oh Yeah!!! and they don't head for a corner either.....right smack bang in the middle of the lounge room floor!!!!! :laugh:

Get rid of as much carpet as you can, tiles, wood or lino are all easier to vacumn dog hair from and much easier to keep smelling fresh. Also dogs seem to always head for any carpet when they want to be sick, at least mine do and half my home is tiled.