Haaaaiiiirrrrr!

Dame Aussie

OMG, it's in my eyes, my mouth, the bed, the couch....

Lili is shedding like there's no tomorrow and we're at our wits end :laugh:

I'm brushing her as often as possible and am going to get her down to the groomers to try and get more of it out but my god :laugh:

Any tips on how to deal with a hair explosion????? :confused:

I am about to try a furminator that I can use on both my Lab and my 5 cats. I hear they are really good. It seems you can get them cheaper on Ebay than elsewhere but I have no idea how to tell if it's a real furminator a fake!?

Depending on the breed of your dog maybe look into a furminator?

Invest in a good force dryer. I recommend the Oldfield Dryers. With a good dryer you can literally blow all the dead coat out after a bath. Dry the dog outside and you carpet the yard with hair but is better than having it in the house.

Dusty goes through that twice a year. She's dropping coat now. She sleeps on my bed and one night last week I had to get up and brush the hair off my pillow cos I kept breathing it in. Gross!

I have an Oster undercoat rake, and I take her outside and strip as much as possible out. There's still a lot of hair inside though.

Hair is just a part of life here.. I vacumn every second day (it needs to be done every day), we have one of those rolly things in the car that I get the children to use before they get out at school to get some of the hair off their school clothes, and everyone who comes here knows that there will always be a hair or two in the coffee.. :)

Go with it Aussie3 it is so much easier.... :laugh:

The Furminator won't get ALL the hair out, but it does get the bulk out at once so you can dispose of it and not have to find big chunks of hair everywhere!

It's been great for Sasha and Chloe... I got grocery bags full of hair out of them in one go... that's grocery bags full that I no longer have to vacuum up :)

Did someone say hair?

Sonnyandhairagain3.jpg

:laugh: Oh yeah, I can relate to that.

I use a furminator and hydrobath when required, but i still find the Rotty hair, you will go to the fridge and think how the hell did rott hair get stuck to the butter!

I'm thinking this hydrobath idea is a great one. My girl had just been done when I picked her up and her coat's been a lot quicker to strip out. Acteon's still going after a bath and going through his coat with a rake every day :) I'm going to bath him again today and try and blow it out with the dryer.

*sigh* i had this wonderful image of some kind of wonderful mechanic contraption called the furminator

you know- 'strips hair in a single bound kind' of thing... and then i googled it. is it really just a brush?!

thank dog i have a schnauzer!

Bahahaha - you definitely haven't seen hair until you've seen a sibe or a mal when they're blowing coat.

Zero's at 2 months and counting. My house looks like thredbo.

And yes mackiemad - it really is just a brush. I prefer the comb and pin brush on Zero to the furminator. Zero's furminator gives him terrible static electricity - both of us have to get sprayed down with anti static spray!

A Furminator isn't suitable for an Australian Shepherds coat so don't waste your money. It skims the surface of their topcoat and doesn't even touch the undercoat. An Oster rake or a Mars Coat King is what will work, or just an undercoat rake from Kmart. I have an old one I was using for our Maine Coon, just a cheapie I picked up a couple of years ago, and I tried it on Dusty and it got loads out.

The Furminator is more suited to dogs with thick, even-length shortish coats such as a husky, smooth collie etc. The Aussie coat is all different lengths and very different textures from extremely fine and soft behind the ears to coarse and fuzzy on their pants.

Edited by GayleK

Welcome to my world!

I carded some more Jedi fur yesterday. I've washed about a quarter of what you sent me and I'm only about half way through what I've washed. I was thinking to myself, it's lucky he's got lovely fur because HOLY CRAP he must shed like anything! :o:laugh:

eta: Huski, I adore that video! It's so very well done :)

Edited by Longclaw