Which Car?

Tiggy

At the moment I have a Ford sedan and want to trade it in for a station wagon or ute with a canopy. I do like the idea of a ute but then I think with the station wagon the dogs can be in the airconditioning so I'm not sure what to get. Just wondering what most people have as there 'doggy mobiles' :laugh: .

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same boat- want to change my car but not sure what to get. I've decided to sell my Mercedes A class which I got when I bought my dog as it has plenty of room in there for him when I took out the seats. But now I've moved to the city and drive about once a fortnight so have decided to downgrade to something cheap (so I've got less depreciation costs, insurance etc etc). Also I was thinking it'd be nice to have something my Newf would be able to fit in without having to take the seats out. I was looking today at some old Jeeps which seem dirt cheap but I'm a bit wary of getting stuck with repair costs.

If I were you I'd go for a station wagon mainly because of the Air Conditioning, but also because there's more of them around so you can probably pick one up for a good price.

I currently have a 2007 Holden Berlina Wagon, does the job fine, has brilliant boot space, we managed to fit 3 people, a standard poodle loose, a westie in a crate and all associated gear in it and go to albany, the table and trolley for the show went on the roof rack.

I have just been looking at possibly upgrading, but I havent been able to find a wagon with so much boot space.

The Triton newer utes, have their window from the back open by a button, therefore if you had a canopy, you could open that to let the aircon in

The Caddies are very popular with dog people. They are economical and have a huge back area for crates and gear. I do a lot of country driving and I also needed back seats so opted for the Hyundai Santa Fe. Love it!!! Particularly the rear window can be opened without having to open the tail gate. Very convenient for the dogs.

At the moment I have a Ford sedan and want to trade it in for a station wagon or ute with a canopy. I do like the idea of a ute but then I think with the station wagon the dogs can be in the airconditioning so I'm not sure what to get. Just wondering what most people have as there 'doggy mobiles' :laugh: .

I currently have a 2007 Holden Berlina Wagon, does the job fine, has brilliant boot space, we managed to fit 3 people, a standard poodle loose, a westie in a crate and all associated gear in it and go to albany, the table and trolley for the show went on the roof rack.

I have just been looking at possibly upgrading, but I havent been able to find a wagon with so much boot space.

The Triton newer utes, have their window from the back open by a button, therefore if you had a canopy, you could open that to let the aircon in

The Holden Commodore/Berlina Wagons 2000 - 2007 are the only ones that fit two standard size crates in the back. The newer ones are useless.

I have an X-trail but had different plans for it (false floor etc.) when I bought it.

I think my false floor is 200mm off the main floor and I can slide in crates or folding camp chairs and those flat plastic click containers (the underbed ones) for dog equipment. I have a manufactured 200mm space in my cargo barrier so technically can carry extra long items with the back seats folded flat.

I love that there is enough room for everything and the back seats stay pristine, although now I have holes drilled in the ?ceiling for the puppy bars gate I won't be selling it anytime soon! :laugh:

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I have a dedicated gas Ford Wagon which I find pretty good - I'd love to set it up with the false floor and gates but I can't justify it given I get a new car every two years (it's a work car) and there is no guarantee that the set up will fit in the next one.

I do find the spare tyre takes up a heap of space in the back but I pretty much leave that space to the dogs and they still have room to stretch out without sitting on top each other. I can still fit an almost double bed mattress in the back if I lay the seats flat and take out the barrier for overnighter trials though - dunno whether I'll manage that with now I have two dogs. :laugh:

I have a Holden rodeo with canopy, I have a wirly bird and crate fan in there and there are big windows so the dogs stay cool, it does chew through petrol very very quickly though, I think I might go for a diesel next. I have a false floor in my tray which is great for crates etc. My dad has also built cages in the back.

Edited by nikivds

I have a 4wd with a canopy, but i still can't take the dogs out in the middle of summer. The canopy still gets too hot even with the windows open.

A wagon with A/C is a good idea. Would be easier to get the dogs in and out too if they're a large breed.

I have a Commador wagon... Not sure on model, but its fairly new, maybe 2007 or 2008. :laugh:

It easily fits my 3 Pointers in the back... I have the cage set up so no Pointers can jump onto the back seat, or give me kisses while driving. ;)

I have a 2008 Holden Calais Sportwagon, very handy for the two Staffy's, I need to get the windows tinted though as one hates the sun shining on her.

It is a bit lower than your average SUV which is handy for them jumping in by themselves, although Queen Zena still likes to be lifted in.

I have a Rav 4, 96 model and carry 2 Bullmastiffs with the back seats folded up, but am in the process of updating to a newer model which the seats are removable in. I do like the idea of the back window opening on the Hyundai Santa Fe, however I'm a sucker for the Toyota and it's been working for us thus far. Nice and low for the dogs to climb in to without any jumping.

I had a 4WD Nissan which fitted everything but ate a lot of fuel. With the horses gone it was too $$. Like you I considered the stationwagon or duel cab. I decided against a the cab as my dogs like being closer to me and they would like A/C. Besides the cab was slightly more expensive.

Their crate is the about same size as yours. I didn't want a gas guzzler so wanted the smallest station wagon I could get. I was buying a house so the car needed to downscale. Toyota Corolla wagons are smaller now but I brought a 1.8 L wagon. It is very cheap to run and cheaper to buy compared to some other cars I looked at.

The crate is set in the back. I took the back seats out and I doubt they will be put in again. No good if you have kids? I was going to get a fake floor but with roof racks I haven't needed to. I went to Macksville for 4 days camping at last years GP agility and I took everything but the sink. It did all fit with the cage and 3 puppy fences on the roof. My only rule is that there is a clear path from A/C to the crate.

For a smaller car it can do a lot. I love it. Althou I still treat my car like a large handbag and it is always filled with "stuff". Happy shopping.

I have a Ford Fairmont station wagon and a Territory.

Much prefer to use the Fairmont station wagon to cart my dog around in because it's a lot lower to the ground and easier for her to jump up into.

I also fold the back seat down so she can 'ride up front'! so to speak.