Getting A Dog From Roma

jipsi01

I have seen a puppy that i am in absolute love with (you know that instant connection?)

I am in Adelaide and have called to find out how much it would cost to get down here. I have been quoted over $1000

Does anyone have any ideas how to do it cheaper?

Thanks

Look at Dogtainers. Unfortunately flying from Roma, they can only do Qantas being a regional area. They charge like a wounded bull.

Road Transport to Brisbane using Dogsaremoving then Fly Adelaide?

I got my Dane puppy (12kg at 8 weeks) from Taree NSW to perth which was only 350.00 that was with a comfort stop aswell..

I used dogtainers. They were fantastic. My puppy showed little to no stress after the 12 hour ordeal (inlcuding 5hr stop over in sydney)

I think i was more stressed then she was :)

I got my BC pup less than 10kg for $145 via dogtainers and Virgin Blue direct flight Perth to Brisbane.

I had quotes using Qantas, dogtainers/Qantas and they were at least double. Qantas cube as well as weight animals. Virgin still do only do weight.

If you can get it roaded to Brisbane, then transferred to a flight, it may work out cheaper.

It cost me $350 to send a BC puppy from Brisbane to Charlaville using Qantas, as they were the only airline flying into regional Qld.

It cost me $350 to fly TWO bc puppies Brisbane to Darwin using Virgin Blue.

Alternative idea, many of the horse movers do a weekly run out to Roma and back to Brisbane. You might be able to get them to pick the puppy up for you if you ask. We have used Idaho horse transport to get mares from Miles, three days run back into Brisbane with two stops, one in Dalby and one in Greenbank in Brisbane.

I lived in this area of Darling downs most of my life and the people are very flexible with helping you out.

Recently brought my Collie pup total weight 13kg (including PP40 crate) Syd/Mel (Airport to airport) $66.00

similar size pup and crate 13kg Per/Mel (Airport to airport) $155.00

Unfortunately Roma is about 6.5 hours drive from either Rockhampton or Brisbane and pet transport companies will charge you for their time and petrol to do a 13 hour round trip.

If you could get someone to do the drive (maybe offer the owner, or a DOL'er in the area, if they are willing, some extra $$$ for petrol money and time for this service for you) additionally it may only cost you around $150 for flights plus crate. A cheaper alternative.

I agree with PF - things can and do go wrong. What happens if this dog doesn't get along with your current dog - it's an awfully long way to bring them?

If it were me, I'd wait until I found something closer that the entire family could go and meet (dog included), to make sure it meets all your requirements and lifestyle, is good with your littlies and can get on with your dog (you mentioned she does not always get along with all dogs, so I'd prefer to test first). If it is a rescue, with your OH not being overly convinced about going the rescue route again, perhaps it will be better for him to also meet the new family member before making the commitment.

Just my opinion though :laugh:

Where did a rescue pup come in? I did not see it mentioned by the OP?? I believe the question was about transport alternatives from Roma to SA.

Dog Movers do a monthly service to Roma hooking into their Fortnightly Cairns run. Dog Movers Link

Getting a pup from anywhere not local you run the risk of it not agreeing with your current household. You are heavily relying on information supplied by the breeder/current owner.

Even getting a local pup and seeing it at the breeders is no guarantee that it will work out. Granted, the breeder is closer to take the pup back if need be. But there are a few breeders out there who will not do that and are happy for the person to rehome the dog.

I have used Dog Movers and their sister company in NSW a number of times now and cannot fault their service. Top recommendation from me.

Where did a rescue pup come in? I did not see it mentioned by the OP?? I believe the question was about transport alternatives from Roma to SA.

The OP was looking specifically for a rescue dog in another thread... Just going off the information already supplied. Yes I guess it was an assumption, but one made from past posts.

It's a shame the pup is gone - it happens. When we were looking at rescues we missed out on a number of dogs that we were simply too late for, or was more suitable to another family. However, I'm a big believer that everything happens for a good reason - and it wasn't the dog for you. If I'd been successful with another dog, I'd never have had the privilege of having Sasha come bounding into our lives :laugh:

Stay patient, be realistic (so you don't get too disappointed if you miss out on a pup you want) and don't give up. I looked everyday for a few months. But you will find her (or she will find you) :laugh:

Keep at it... you WILL find a dog that's right for you and your family.

I'm guessing there are hundreds of pups available thru rescues- one is bound to suit, and be MUCH closer to home for you :rasberry:

Spending all that money for something completely an unknown quantity may not be the wisest move ....perhaps it's for the best that it found another home :provoke: