Dog Name

W Sibs

I rarely say Jedi's name in training. Maybe once in a whole training session right at the beginning - similar to Leopuppy.

I use Ahsoka's name more, but never before giving her cues. It's usually just to get her attention before heeling off.

I rarely say Jedi's name in training. Maybe once in a whole training session right at the beginning - similar to Leopuppy.

I use Ahsoka's name more, but never before giving her cues. It's usually just to get her attention before heeling off.

Was doing some training practice with Honey this morning and noticed this is what I do too.

Once we are heeling I expect to have her attention on me so I dont need to say her name.

Trying to think of what I do

When we go for walks he has an automatic sit at the roads - when there are no cars I would say "Pete, watch" then "ok" when watching, then "yes" as a release to cross the road (if he didn't watch the first time, I would say 'watch' again, but not 'pete' again - I think)

When calling him from somewhere I would say "Pete, Come"

In just general training I dont think I use his name at all, unless its calling him over to start training, so I guess I use it as an attention thing.

Ive been using Esky's name a lot. Probably too much. But I'm teaching her to focus on me. I want the word "Esky" to make my dog look at me.

Do you give him a reward/praise each time you looks at you?

Do you get bored of saying her name? :rolleyes:

Sorry about all the question, but I do find all this interesting.

When i train Charlie.. i find that the less I talk, the more focus he is on me. because he has to watch me to see what the next command is.

Yep

At the moment Esky= focus

So i say Esky a LOT

Many of the "old school" trainers used to teach calling the dogs name then a command like "Bob sit", "Bob come", "Bob heel" etc. When I began training in the 70's, calling the dogs name with a command was rather common. Funnily I remember my old Golden Retriever boy trained like this years ago ended up working out what I wanted just calling his name in various situations. When you stopped walking and called his name, he would sit automatically and calling his name walking he would heel :) I can't recall if it was a good thing back then or not, but simply calling his name seemed to cover a range of commands???. Nowday's I don't generally use their names very much in training.

Not generally.

My focus word is watch, not their name.

Can sometimes be used in desperation if said Whippet has decided a zoomie is in order.

Sometimes I call them each others names or the kids names - in the end I go 'Hey you, yep you are the one I'm talking to'

Amazingly the usually do know who I am talking to!

I have used their name then come in a paniced tone when a snake was close by - snapped them to attention.