To Chip Or Not To Chip

PoppyDog

Hi Everyone,

My 9 week old CKCS is not micro-chipped. I spoke to my vet this morning and she said there is a $5 discount if you do it when you de-sex them. BUT females have to be 5 or 6 months before they get de-sexed...so my question is...

Would you chip now? Or chip later? I'm not sure I'm ok with having her not micro-chipped for the next 6 months. ESPECIALLY after reading the thread about Ipswich council pound (we live in that area).

So what do you all think?

Thanks everyone! I think I will get her chipped when we go to have her 2nd vac.

Poodlefan - Sorry...she is a crossbreed...but very Cav so thats how I think of her :laugh:

Just make sure that you call her what she is PD. When you're posting in the CKCS thread, people who don't read more widely would conclude from your posts there that she's a purebred. No reason to cringe about it now but grooming advice etc is very breed and coat specific.

If you need a shorthand version she's a CKCS X or Cavalier X. :o

Edited by poodlefan

Some local councils offer a microchipping day, it is not free mind you ($25) but I see it as a wonderful initiative to let people know that microchipping is out there and one of the best forms of identification for your pet. If anyone is within the City of Casey (south east of Melbourne) here is a link below...

City of Casey - Microchipping Day

Thanks Everyone! I agree $5 is not worth it! She is being chipped tomorrow! I hope she doesnt yelp to loudly or I might tear up! Lucky my fiance will be there to be the strong one! :laugh:

FD26 - I haven't notified the council...I wasn't sure it was worth it. I haven't even asked the seller to pay for the micro-chipping. What do you think I should do? When I rang my vet to ask about it they asked straight away if I had got my puppy from a pet shop as if to say that if I had she should of been chipped already.

Having had the microchip needle go straight into the fleshy part of my thumb I can tell you it is so sharp it doesnt hurt

most dogs having a whinge are either sooking or the microchipper is being too rough/not knowing what theyre doing

Thanks Everyone! I agree $5 is not worth it! She is being chipped tomorrow! I hope she doesnt yelp to loudly or I might tear up! Lucky my fiance will be there to be the strong one! :laugh:

FD26 - I haven't notified the council...I wasn't sure it was worth it. I haven't even asked the seller to pay for the micro-chipping. What do you think I should do? When I rang my vet to ask about it they asked straight away if I had got my puppy from a pet shop as if to say that if I had she should of been chipped already.

Well the crossbreed definetly "explains" a lot.

Chip immediately. IMO any breeder who does not chip before they sell is unethical.

Thanks Everyone! I agree $5 is not worth it! She is being chipped tomorrow! I hope she doesnt yelp to loudly or I might tear up! Lucky my fiance will be there to be the strong one! :thumbsup:

I would notify the council for sure. Don't expect her to pay to get the microchip, but at least let them know all that's happened. :)

Thanks Everyone! I agree $5 is not worth it! She is being chipped tomorrow! I hope she doesnt yelp to loudly or I might tear up! Lucky my fiance will be there to be the strong one! :thumbsup:

I would notify the council for sure. Don't expect her to pay to get the microchip, but at least let them know all that's happened. :)

Thanks...should I be notifying the council that I bought her in? Not the one I live in?

I would notify the council for sure. Don't expect her to pay to get the microchip, but at least let them know all that's happened. :laugh:

Thanks...should I be notifying the council that I bought her in? Not the one I live in?

Hmm, I guess I'd be contacting the one where she lives.

I need to get Tagnan (14 month old CKCS) chipped, I don't believe he's chipped already - at least the breeder didn't state that he was and I didn't ask at the time. Can the vet check to see if he's chipped already when we take him in for chipping? That way if he is, we can get the details changed over. We have our receipt of purchase for him from the Breeder.

When we get our puppy in 3 weeks time, we shall be getting him chipped ASAP. Least it means that as well as the shire tags, that they have a means of identification, should their collars be removed.

Susan

Edited by Elsha_UK_AU