Teaching Kids How To Approach Strange Dogs

lillim

Hi,

a work colleague is wanting to teach her sons the correct way to approach a strange dog, I remember reading a really good pamphlet about this ages ago, but now cannot find it. Can anyone suggest any articles, Pamphlets, children books, websites articles or anything else?

Have a look at the DPI website for their Responsible Pet Ownership program - linky

ETA: The schools program is probably a good start - just click on the middle icon.

thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

I'd be teaching my kids NOT to approach strange dogs.

Yeah I was going to say that too.

I disagree, The work colleague herself is wary of dogs, but her sons show an interest in them, instead of teaching her children to stay away from dogs implying that they are something to be fearful of, she wants to teach her sons how it is appropriate to approach a dog.

I figure this is a better alternative than subconsciously teaching the children to be afraid of dogs or the kids not knowing any better and running up to a strange dog squealing with excitement then hugging it.

I email this pdf hand book to whippy buyers who have kids. This would also suit safety around other peoples dogs.

HERE

The one I downloaded a year back is more detailed but the one above is o.k as well. Published by the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne. Any puppy buyer with kids should get this.

Edited by whippets

It all depends on what you mean by "strange dogs" and the context.

Hopefully she isn't teaching them that there's ever a right way for kids to approach a dog they don't know while it's owner isn't there, or when they haven't been given permission to approach the dog.

Edited by Baby Dragon

I disagree, The work colleague herself is wary of dogs, but her sons show an interest in them, instead of teaching her children to stay away from dogs implying that they are something to be fearful of, she wants to teach her sons how it is appropriate to approach a dog.

I figure this is a better alternative than subconsciously teaching the children to be afraid of dogs or the kids not knowing any better and running up to a strange dog squealing with excitement then hugging it.

If the dog is not in the company of its owner, they should never approach.

If the dog IS in the company of the owner, they should ask permission first and follow the owner's directions.

If she wants her sons to get to know dogs, safe dogs owned by savvy acquaintances are the best bet. :)

It all depends on what you mean by "strange dogs" and the context.

"strange dogs" as in any dog, i chose strange as my adjective as I figured this implied an unknown dog, not how for the children to approach a dog that has been introduced into the family.

Hopefully she isn't teaching them that there's ever a right way for kids to approach a dog they don't know while it's owner isn't there, or when they haven't been given permission to approach the dog.

no, this is why I wanted to give her some literature instead of verbally telling her,in case I was forgetful in mentioning something to her and so that not only did she know what to do but also what not to do and had a written reference and guide.

I hope that clears things up.

Ok, so she wants to learn how to teach her kids the correct way to approach a dog they've never met before, while the dog is with the owner and they've been given permission to approach the dog?

That's a good thing for the kids to learn.

The first post in the thread didn't really sound like that was the situation, so that's why I queried it. :)

Edited by Baby Dragon

Kind of like the lady with her two young girls in my puppy preschool class who, to get rid of the kids for abit so we could all HEAR what was being said by the instructor, told her daughters to 'go and pat those dogs that are tied up over there because they look a bit sad'. The instructor nearly went into conniptions but it's a good thing that she was there and was able to be educated I suppose.

I think it's great to teach kids not only how to approach dogs that they are allowed to approach, but when NOT to approach as well :)

I email this pdf hand book to whippy buyers who have kids. This would also suit safety around other peoples dogs.

HERE

The one I downloaded a year back is more detailed but the one above is o.k as well. Published by the Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne. Any puppy buyer with kids should get this.

Good brochure Whippets! :)

If the dog is not in the company of its owner, they should never approach.

If the dog IS in the company of the owner, they should ask permission first and follow the owner's directions.

This is all in the literature I have just passed to her, at the moment she does not let her sons approach dogs, as she did not know how to go about it.

Ok, so she wants to learn how to teach her kids the correct way to approach a dog they've never met before, while the dog is with the owner and they've been given permission to approach the dog?

That's a good thing for the kids to learn.

The first post in the thread didn't really sound like that was the situation, so that's why I queried it. :)

yes exactly, I'm not the best at clear and concise queries

Have a look at the DPI website for their Responsible Pet Ownership program - linky

ETA: The schools program is probably a good start - just click on the middle icon.

Yep Isiss I do the Responsible Pet Ownership program with Baylee, but Zephyr is in training to take over the role from the old girl.

The link that is posted above is a great place to start and depending on the age of the children the kinder or primary school information will be best.

The program teaches children when to approach a dog and when not to approach, for example when the dog has no owner, is tied up, is eating, sleeping etc.

I wish your friend luck. If her children are in kinder or primary school maybe she could ask the school to organise a visit from the program.

I have printed almost everything off the DPI website and given it the work colleague, she is going to read over everything and read it to her sons, like a story since it has pictures.

thanks for everyone's suggestions.