Parvo

After seeing a recent throw up and then my 6mth dog not looking too good got hubby to take her to the vet to be told she has parvo. They have her on fluids, antibiotics and something to stop her throwing up, as of this morning there wasn't any change.

Can they survive parvo? How long does it take to possibly see improvements? My poor lil girl, just want to see her and my lil boy rolling around the yard again.

Can they survive parvo? How long does it take to possibly see improvements? My poor lil girl, just want to see her and my lil boy rolling around the yard again.

Absolutely they can survive. My boy was at the vet on a drip for 3 days (he was 5 months when he got Parvo), he then came home and was thin/quiet for a while. It took him about 6 months to get back into condition and in the ring again. He is a fit, healthy dog now.

They said to my hubby that they are hopeful as it would appear we've picked it up pretty early as tuesday she was eating and playing and showing no signs of being sick but today their just it's all a waiting game that there's been no change and will just have to wait.

Just so worried about her, she's my little boys best friend, We just got her a new kennel yesterday and kept trying to call her to try it out.

Yes, they can survive parvo. Especially if early treatment takes place.

It isn't readily understood that the parvo itself isn't the problem with young or old dogs....it is the associated dangerous dehydration that is usually the killer. Fluid replacement is absolutely essential.

They apprently told dh if she didn't get any worse that she'd be able to come home on a drip............ That sound normal?

They did say she was urinating alot over night, which she said means she's not too dehydrated

Edited by CheekyMonkey

They apprently told dh if she didn't get any worse that she'd be able to come home on a drip............ That sound normal?

Absolutely not. What if the drip comes out? My boy spent days on a drip and I went in each day several times and hand fed him KFC nuggets (the only thing he would eat). Once he was eating and drinking he came home to recover.

Best wishes for a quick recovery for your baby. Was she fully vaccinated and was her final vaccination given AFTER she was 12 weeks old ? Do you know which vaccine she had ?

The clinic where I work has had a couple of Parvo puppies lately and yes they have all recovered, one a tiny Jack Russel was on a drip for 5 days, he did recover and is now doing very well 2 weeks on.

As long as she is on the drip do not bring her home ----- not only do they require rest and quiet but the drip line could block or she might get too much fluids and that is not good either.

Edited by Fordogs

Why do dogs over 14 weeks get Parvo if they are fully vaccinated?

Vaccination does not give a 100% guarantee.

There can be many reasons why a dog may not have sufficient immunity, the timing of vaccination for that particular animal, issues with the animals immune system etc.

can anyone tell me how parvo is spread? as she doesnt go out has no other contact with dogs, my next doors dogs who arent vaccinated apprently are fine (or so they say)

The virus is shed in Faecal matter, so you can literally walk it in to your home, drive it in on your cars tyres.

can anyone tell me how parvo is spread? as she doesnt go out has no other contact with dogs, my next doors dogs who arent vaccinated apprently are fine (or so they say)

The virus is shed in Faecal matter, so you can literally walk it in to your home, drive it in on your cars tyres.

Or dried stuff can simply blow into your yard on the wind or be dropped there by birds which have walked in it.....and you won't know it is there unless your dog shows symptoms.

Yes. If they've walked somewhere that is harbouring the disease.

Now....this leads me to a question. You say that the cats have been eating the dogs food....does that mean you leave food down all the time?

If so, if it were me, I wouldn't be doing that any more. Your vet says your puppy has parvo and they have obviously done the necessary testing to diagnosis it so I'm not disputing it in the slightest, but there are also many other diseases that a dog can pick up from eating contaminated food. If the cats can get to it, then so can rodents, flies and all manner of other not-so-pleasant dining partners.

I wish your little one all the very best, and I hope she makes a full recovery and shows improvement soon.

Are you required to wash down the areas she has been/infected in your house and yard? If not, can a dog that has survived parvo be re-infected from it's own yard again?

Sorry I'm a little parvo-ignorant (thankfully I've never had a brush with it... touching wood)