Wandering Dew

Nevafollo

Hey guys,

We have a wandering dew...jew..hmm :eek: problem. I want to know a safe way to get rid off it. Obviously the safest way is to pull it all out by hand but the yard is MASSIVE and there is alot of it and I dont want to miss any so am thinking some sort of weed killer but am worried about hurting the dogs.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated! :crossfingers:

Mine seemed to die off all on its own but I've noticed some coming back now and I'm currently deciding on the best course of action...none of the dogs have ever reacted to it but you never know.

I'm reading things like RoundUp (but painting it on each leaf :crossfingers: ) but most seem to think that manually pulling it out is the only 'green' way to remove it.

Edited by Aziah

Mix round up with detergent and spray it. Detergent so that it sticks to the waxy leaves. Keep the dogs off for the rest of the day. You might have to do this a few times to kill it.

I am in the same boat as we just moved house. :crossfingers:

I asked about this a long time ago and what is in my memory is that as long as you let weed and feed completely dry it is safe. So spray weed and feed on a sunny day in the morning and keep the woofa's inside all day!

Anyone - please correct me if my memory is incorrect though!

Ps - do not use weed and feed if turf is buffalo!

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Mine seemed to die off all on its own but I've noticed some coming back now and I'm currently deciding on the best course of action...none of the dogs have ever reacted to it but you never know.

I'm reading things like RoundUp (but painting it on each leaf :mad ) but most seem to think that manually pulling it out is the only 'green' way to remove it.

:eek: I was just reading about paint brushes and leaves :) these people clearly dont live on 1000sqm blocks and if they do they clearly have way too much time on their hands!

Only reasons I want to get rid of it as Kite is starting to have a reaction!

Mix round up with detergent and spray it. Detergent so that it sticks to the waxy leaves. Keep the dogs off for the rest of the day. You might have to do this a few times to kill it.

I am in the same boat as we just moved house. :o

yep we moved in before christmas and it hasnt been a problem until now. Thanx for the advise!

I asked about this a long time ago and what is in my memory is that as long as you let weed and feed completely dry it is safe. So spray weed and feed on a sunny day in the morning and keep the woofa's inside all day!

Anyone - please correct me if my memory is incorrect though!

Ps - do not use weed and feed if turf is buffalo!

:o i dont know if its buffalo...dont think so thou its pretty shitty lawn! Lots of weeds so a good weed and feed might do it some good in general! :crossfingers:

I just spent an afternoon reclaiming my back yard from every noxious weed known to man (possibly I am exaggerating :crossfingers: ) and this wandering dew sucker was the easiest to remove. It is easy to pick up and pull out. Sure it will just grow back from its little pieces but I liked it better than the ivy and the blackberries :eek: . This thread is timely because I want to know is spraying bad for the dogs and is there better sprays to use around them or what other precautions should I be taking?

:eek: i dont know if its buffalo...dont think so thou its pretty shitty lawn! Lots of weeds so a good weed and feed might do it some good in general! :crossfingers:

Can you post a photo?

Here are what different types of grass look like - which one is most like yours??? http://www.jimboombaturf.com.au/turf_varieties

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

We have a 1000 sqm + block and we had a MASSIVE wandering jew problem when we moved in.

First step is to pull out as much as you can. Our job was 3 solid, 12 hours days of hard labour and an 8m skip. Remove all the main stuff and scrape up as much of the pinkish root material as you can. If you don't do this, you will never eliminate it, only slow it down.

Have a drink, a shower and wait about 4 to 6 weeks.

When you start seeing vigorous new growth (and you will), spray. You can use roundup made to double strentgh with a dash of detergent in it. Be very thorough and generous with the spray.

Then every 6 weeks of so, do the rounds with the roundup again - you will miss bits.

We have sprayed twice now, and have not seen any regrowth for about 3 months. So we seem to be winning.

Ok just looked up wandering dew - found this

Wandering Jew

Wandering Jew is a waxy trailing succulent that can easily take over and choke a whole garden. It does not respond very well to herbicide. The best strategy is to remove as much of the weed as possible and then mulch the area deeply. When the plant shoots it will be blanched as it pushes its way up through the mulch. It is then much more susceptible to the herbicide.

Seeing as you can't really mulch a turf - you have only two options in my opinion pull it all out and then top dress the turf or cut the grass/wandering dew priod to weeding and feeding in the hopes that cause it is cut that the herbiciside will kill it!

I opened this topic few months ago, so far the best advice I got was to get chickens.

I researched this topic on the internet and everybody raves about chickens fighting wandering jew.

I haven't bought chicks yet as can't find a breeder in Melbourne (breeders are far in the country) but apparently this is the only method that works.Wandering Jew is harmful to dogs and stop plants from growing. Chicken not only lay eggs but also fertilise the ground.

So far I raked all wandering jew and put on a compost hip - apparently it is excellent for compost.

(I am planning to buy chickens but some people scare me that chickens get worms an diseases).

This is slightly OT but in regards to weed killer... we recently used Buffalo Master on some lawn weeds in the backyard but the container didn't say anything about pets, just not to feed clippings to sheep n stuff. I emailed the manufacturer and got this response...

In response to your enquiry, I can advise that we recommend that pets be kept off lawns that have been chemically treated for at least 7 days. It is a good idea to water the lawn after this period to ensure the chemical has been dispersed within the lawn/ground.

I was a bit :( because we've never done this before, just kept them off the lawn for a day or 2. Needless to say there were many walks out the front for toileting for the week. :thumbsup: