Food Advice Please...

Mynewbestfriend

Re my pup (about 5 months) I'm having some problems with his rear end output. Very very soft serve like (sorry peoples) ....and I'm trying desperately to fatten him up too so don't want to cut back on too much too quickly. I was advised by the lady who sold him to me that she was feeding half a cup of Supercoat alongside 400gms raw beef mince three times a day. This seemed a huge amount of raw to me and straight off he was doing the most vile no. 2s when we got him home. I made a decision to switch him gradually to a premium dry which is working really well (proplan puppy for large breed); he has the most beautiful shiny coat and his no.2's when just eating dry are sooooo much better. He's not so enthusiastic about the taste of the dry so to entice I had been giving him chicken necks (four of a morning and four at night combined each with a cup of the proplan). The problem is the chicken necks are making him ridiculously loose! So, back to the drawing board....

I've got my other older dog on (dare I say it) the VIP supermarket rolls combined with Purina Optimum and he's never had a problem with loose stools. Different dogs though and different ages....

I realise it's a case of trial and error....Does anyone find chicken necks procur the same result? I'm thinking maybe chicken wings would give him the taste he LOVES without bolting straight through his system...

Any advice greatly appreciated?

Cheers

Re my pup (about 5 months) I'm having some problems with his rear end output. Very very soft serve like (sorry peoples) ....and I'm trying desperately to fatten him up too so don't want to cut back on too much too quickly. I was advised by the lady who sold him to me that she was feeding half a cup of Supercoat alongside 400gms raw beef mince three times a day. This seemed a huge amount of raw to me and straight off he was doing the most vile no. 2s when we got him home. I made a decision to switch him gradually to a premium dry which is working really well (proplan puppy for large breed); he has the most beautiful shiny coat and his no.2's when just eating dry are sooooo much better. He's not so enthusiastic about the taste of the dry so to entice I had been giving him chicken necks (four of a morning and four at night combined each with a cup of the proplan). The problem is the chicken necks are making him ridiculously loose! So, back to the drawing board....

I've got my other older dog on (dare I say it) the VIP supermarket rolls combined with Purina Optimum and he's never had a problem with loose stools. Different dogs though and different ages....

I realise it's a case of trial and error....Does anyone find chicken necks procur the same result? I'm thinking maybe chicken wings would give him the taste he LOVES without bolting straight through his system...

Any advice greatly appreciated?

Cheers

Have you tried adding a little water to his dry kibble and possibly heating it up a little to make it more "fragrant"? This has helped with some of my bubs in the past. Sometimes I also add in a couple of spoons of minced beef and stir it into the kibble to give it that yummy fresh meaty smell. :laugh:

How about just getting some chicken mince and mixing a LITTLE bit in with the food to give it the taste. 8 chicken necks in total per day seems to be alot to me abnd is probably too rich for his belly. What sort of dog is it??

He's a basset hound. I'm concerned chicken mince will do the same (if anything its fattier isn't it?). I gave him just ONE chicken neck last night as an enticement to eat the dry and still it procurred the same results this morning! Lots of little (big) surprises around the garden that are most uncooperative in wanting to be picked up. :laugh: He might just be a bit sensitive but I certainly don't want to condemn the poor darling to dry food indefinitely. How utterly boring! In saying that, I have to get it worked out because I'm the one on poopey duty each day and I ain't picking these babies up too much longer!

I'm trying too to get weight on him as he seems very sunken around the flanks and is quite ribby although weight is going on slowly (I've only had him a month).

Thanks Simsim for your reply. Are we talking human grade mince that you use as an enticement or dog mince -- and cooked or uncooked??? I was even thinking a bit of gravy might do the trick! We tried puppy mince too a couple of weeks ago with disasterous results so maybe we hit that a bit hard a bit too quickly....

I doubt it's the chicken loosening him.

Time to experiment. Feed him the kibble on its own for a day or two and the same with chicken necks (wings are good too) on its own. Observe the results in the back yard.

You'll soon figure out what's making his poo runny - and my money is on the kibble.

This is a dog forum - we can talk about poo all day... even eating lunch which is what I'm doing. :laugh:

If you feel he needs more condition then feed a higher fat food (dogs get their energy mainly from fat not carbs), feed him more and/or feed him more often.

How many meals a day is he getting?

I've got a ridgeback pup, she's 18wks old today :laugh: no probs with runny no2's so far she eats 1cup proplan large breed puppy 3xday mixed with either 200g of pet or chicken mince, raw meaty bones, 3-4 chick necks, smashed and cut into pieces, 1/2 tin of sardines.

plus -1 capsule of dairy free inner health plus (human variety!) sprinkled over her food (shared over the 3 meals), she used to get her kibble softened with vegemite gravy but we've stopped that now and she's ok with it dry. She also gets a large spoonful of full fat yoghurt with her breakfast, which she loves.

She is growing well, not too fast, weighs about 20kg now and eats her meals at lightening speed with 3x poops day.

Edited by Daydreamer

The Supercoat probably wouldn't be helping matters much either.

Get him off that and onto a better quality dry and you will probably find things to be rather different.

Yes I got him off the Supercoat a couple of weeks ago and he's been on Proplan which definitely seems to keep him firm(er). At his age I had put it down to 'poopy puppy' stage (having not had a pup live with us for 7 years) but I don't see that he should be sooooo regular and soooo runny with it all the time. It's not much fun picking up 10 softserves a day!

So thanks for the recommendations everyone; I'll try seperating the dry and raw (how this makes a difference I don't know but I'm willing to try anything!). He had yesterday one chicken neck for dinner with his cup of proplan and earlier in the day a reasonably meaty bone and it wasn't much fun this morning during pickup. :laugh:

Time to experiment. Feed him the kibble on its own for a day or two and the same with chicken necks (wings are good too) on its own. Observe the results in the back yard.

You'll soon figure out what's making his poo runny - and my money is on the kibble.

This is a dog forum - we can talk about poo all day... even eating lunch which is what I'm doing. :laugh:

If you feel he needs more condition then feed a higher fat food (dogs get their energy mainly from fat not carbs), feed him more and/or feed him more often.

Sorry, yes he's getting two meals a day -- a cup of proplan with four chicken necks both morning and night but as I say, roll on effect is not good. Um, curious reading the posts....? Should I be adding yoghurt or an inner health plus capsule too???? Makes sense that his bowel may need some good strains of bacteria....

Sorry, yes he's getting two meals a day -- a cup of proplan with four chicken necks both morning and night but as I say, roll on effect is not good. Um, curious reading the posts....? Should I be adding yoghurt or an inner health plus capsule too???? Makes sense that his bowel may need some good strains of bacteria....

I can only go off what I know as a new puppy owner and what was recommended by our breeder, it seems to be working for us but i'm sure someone with more experience may come and give you better/alternative advice. If all else fails maybe a trip to the vet just to rule out any health problems :laugh:

I feed supercoat to puppies with brilliant results- little 'logs' from day one always :laugh:

Maybe give him some probiotic supplement, and alternate raw & dry (altho I don't think it matters)..but perhaps all the chiopping and changing isn't helping?

I tend to agree with PF-

pick a food- eg: the premium dry, and stick with it! Moisten it with warm water, offer it twice a day, remove any uneaten.... and that's that. See how he goes .His tummy will then just have the one thing to digest ,and he will know that there is nothing more attractive on offer, so if he's hungry- he eats what's in his bowl.

Or. just offer chicken mince/necks for a few days and see what happens.

NO other foods/treats table scraps additives.

see how his poo is after 3 or so days...

and gradually work back to whatever suits him, and has what he needs.

Why dont you try a different dry - I find pro plan a bit rich in fillers for my liking as with Hills. Royal Canin, Nutro, Nutrience, Eagle Pack, they all have money back guarentees anyway.

As for the tummy thing inner health plus or natural yoghurt with the food. And yes I would be feeding raw separate from dry food, his stomach seems to be sensitive enough as it is.

I have a new cavoodle pup (8 weeks) and his poos are sooo disgustingly runny! He is on Supercoat Puppy - which is what I was told he was on before we got him. I have also been giving him some of the tinned puppy food (Nature's Gift & Pedigree Puppy) which seem to be making the situation even worse. He was going really well with house training but now he's crapping all over the place. I am happy to put him on a premium dog food, but there are so many different choices that I'm not sure which is the best??? Any advice would be great.

I have a new cavoodle pup (8 weeks) and his poos are sooo disgustingly runny! He is on Supercoat Puppy - which is what I was told he was on before we got him. I have also been giving him some of the tinned puppy food (Nature's Gift & Pedigree Puppy) which seem to be making the situation even worse. He was going really well with house training but now he's crapping all over the place. I am happy to put him on a premium dog food, but there are so many different choices that I'm not sure which is the best??? Any advice would be great.

Has your pup been wormed?

Has he had a vet checkup? Pups can pick up bacterial infections like coccodia that can give them the runs.

Most folk around here seem to like Artemis, Royal Canin or Eaglepack in the premium kibbles. The canned food is mostly water which might be keeping him loose.

But I'd be starting with a vet trip.

Thanks for the advice. I have already taken him to the vet for his shots & they wormed him then. They said that he was very underweight (2 kilos) and that he most likely had a belly full of worms as his belly was really distended. He was also very lethargic when we got him, but since worming he has picked up heaps & is a very bouncy happy boy now. I just want to start him off on the right food but don't want to chop & change too much & upset his little tummy.