Okay...panicking!

Mynewbestfriend

Howdy all,

I just went out and did poopey duty this morning and have found in one out of three of the poos collected there were these visible little white specks. Now, my first thought is worm larvae...in which case I'm totally panicking with kids around this pup as young as one. I have followed the recommended worming schedule to the tee. I even spoke with my vet about this at length as I stress a lot about worms and children and she really reassured me and I relaxed considerably after that conversation. When you read about blindness in children due to parasites, it's kind of hard to feel happy when pup is happy to lick everyone and everywhere!

I guess I'll have to re-worm today (he wasn't due for another week)...I mean, seriously, I grew up around dogs and I don't think my parents ever (rarely!) wormed our little fella. I'm healthy enough ...(I think... :( )

Here I am, very diligent with it all and STILL worrying myself mad about worm transmission to humans.

Any advice? Perhaps I should take a sample to the vet to get to the bottom of it. (BTW, pup is 5 and a half months).

Thanks folks for listening...I add I am a worrier by nature.

If I wasn't sure then I would take it the sample to the vet for them to look at (only because I wouldn't know what I was looking at).

If it is worms ... then worm the whole family (skin and fur) just to be on the safe side.

Our boys managed to destroy 2 stable tables when they were pups - they were pooing little polystyrene balls for weeks! I'd hedge on teh side of he's eaten something.

:)

Thanks folks, you've put my mind at ease. Funnily enough, he's ALWAYS chewing on things he shouldn't be. Yesterday it was a small silicon bake mould that the kids had been playing with in the splashy pool & he's had a big bone more recently that he's been knawing away on. He destroyed the bake mould rather quickly (I retrieved what I could) but perhaps some of this made its way through his system. It was bright green in colour so I would expect to see green rather than white but these flecks are soooo distinct (in saying that, I'm definitely LOOKING for something & I'm no expert on parasitology :( ). The vet put it down to chicken neck pieces previously (as I'd mentioned I'd seen them before) but as he's not getting chicken necks anymore (hasn't for three days), I panicked this morning on pick-up!

As mentioned he has been regularly wormed to the letter as recommended on the back of the Drontal pack, the vet has assured me he is in great health with no signs of worms, he has never scooted on the ground which you would think typical behaviour of a dog with worms ...So, I'll wait another week and keep an eye on no.2's in the meantime. As for two legged members of the family, I can worm the older members but not the one year old (I think they have to be a minimum of two years). The one year old is the one I'm most concerned about as EVERYTHING ends up in the mouth!

Howdy all,

I just went out and did poopey duty this morning and have found in one out of three of the poos collected there were these visible little white specks. Now, my first thought is worm larvae...in which case I'm totally panicking with kids around this pup as young as one. I have followed the recommended worming schedule to the tee. I even spoke with my vet about this at length as I stress a lot about worms and children and she really reassured me and I relaxed considerably after that conversation. When you read about blindness in children due to parasites, it's kind of hard to feel happy when pup is happy to lick everyone and everywhere!

I guess I'll have to re-worm today (he wasn't due for another week)...I mean, seriously, I grew up around dogs and I don't think my parents ever (rarely!) wormed our little fella. I'm healthy enough ...(I think... :( )

Here I am, very diligent with it all and STILL worrying myself mad about worm transmission to humans.

Any advice? Perhaps I should take a sample to the vet to get to the bottom of it. (BTW, pup is 5 and a half months).

Thanks folks for listening...I add I am a worrier by nature.

The worms you are most likely to find in puppy poo are round worms. They look more like small bean sprouts . . . not white flecks. I am not aware of any worms that look like white specks. Hard for anyone to say without seeing it. If you are seriously worried, you might want to take a sample and have the vet look at it.

Adding, I would say of the observation that these WHITE THINGS appear to sit seperate to the poo instead of within the poo (they were right on top this morning). If it were something he'd eaten, I'd think it would be all mushed up and digested within...

I've never seen anything like it with my poodle when I pick his up (but he don't chew things the way the Hound does!)

Thanks again.

You haven't lived until you picked up sparkly poo! :(

Oh I've done that too - their first Christmas the beloved boys managed to destroy our christmas tree, the tinsel, open all the pressies, put bite marks on all the baubels AND they bit the head off the angel. They were little shites of puppies :) Gotta love em :happydance2:

Just checked my combantrin packet can use it from 1 year old!!

Okay, that makes me feel a little better... :laugh: Thanks so much.

Re 'age' of poo -- picking up daily so as fresh as they get. Still seeing these little white specks (as of this morning). I'll reworm and if it doesn't disappear I'll take a specimen to the vet. He's an inbetween weight at present so I did one and half Drontal chews last time. Perhaps though the chews aren't as effective as tablets? On the subject of worming, this discussion should probably be in a different thread (I think...)

Thanks folks, you've put my mind at ease. Funnily enough, he's ALWAYS chewing on things he shouldn't be. Yesterday it was a small silicon bake mould that the kids had been playing with in the splashy pool & he's had a big bone more recently that he's been knawing away on. He destroyed the bake mould rather quickly (I retrieved what I could) but perhaps some of this made its way through his system. It was bright green in colour so I would expect to see green rather than white but these flecks are soooo distinct (in saying that, I'm definitely LOOKING for something & I'm no expert on parasitology ;) ). The vet put it down to chicken neck pieces previously (as I'd mentioned I'd seen them before) but as he's not getting chicken necks anymore (hasn't for three days), I panicked this morning on pick-up!

As mentioned he has been regularly wormed to the letter as recommended on the back of the Drontal pack, the vet has assured me he is in great health with no signs of worms, he has never scooted on the ground which you would think typical behaviour of a dog with worms ...So, I'll wait another week and keep an eye on no.2's in the meantime. As for two legged members of the family, I can worm the older members but not the one year old (I think they have to be a minimum of two years). The one year old is the one I'm most concerned about as EVERYTHING ends up in the mouth!

Rice or grains?????

Mmmmm...waaaaaaay too small to be rice / grain & like tiny, tiny sharp white dots...

My guess would be tiny bit of bone fragments from the big bone he has been chewing :laugh:

I almost always see white speckles in Kei's poo when he has been chewing on a nice big bone. Eggshells tend to do exactly the same thing as well.

And when he eats chicken frames the whole poop is white and crumbly :welcome: