Great Dane X Irish Wolfhound

nixy

I recently got a beautiful merle great dane x irish wolfhound puppy who is now 10 weeks old. I have been monitoring her weight and height and was wondering if anyone knows approximately how big she will grow?

Her father was a great dane x irish wolfhound (short haired), and her mother was an irish wolfhound x staghound (wirey haired).

She turned 10 weeks last Thursday and at that time she weighed in at 7.8kg and was 15" high at her shoulders.

I'm hoping she will grow to a similar size of the dane or wolfhound as 3 quarters of her are large. This was the mummy and daddy's first litter together. I met the mum and she looks identical to a wolfhound beautiful scruffy black girl :o but I don't think she is as tall as a wolfhound.

I'll upload pictures when I can.

Any suggestions advise?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mother has been sold interstate so yes this is the last litter from them and as to them being desexed, I don't know if they will be or not.

I know this forum is based on pure bred dog breeds, but I am still a strong believer in cross bred dogs. Yes, pure bred dogs are very nice and very saught after, but with my experience I have found that all the cross bred dogs I've owned have lasted till at least they were 15 years old and have never had any serious medical problems. Whether that means I'm just lucky or not I can't say but I think cross bred dogs make just as nice pets as pure bred dogs :o

The mother has been sold interstate so yes this is the last litter from them and as to them being desexed, I don't know if they will be or not.

I know this forum is based on pure bred dog breeds, but I am still a strong believer in cross bred dogs. Yes, pure bred dogs are very nice and very saught after, but with my experience I have found that all the cross bred dogs I've owned have lasted till at least they were 15 years old and have never had any serious medical problems. Whether that means I'm just lucky or not I can't say but I think cross bred dogs make just as nice pets as pure bred dogs :o

Yes, they do.

But I do suggest you familiarise yourself with the forum rules.

It is easy to find medical problems when there is a number of dogs that can be tested... I would like to see the research done on say *insert large number of* or more cavalier x pugs (or any cross bred) and see how many of those have serious medical issues..

I get so annoyed when people start saying x breeds are healther and live longer then purebreds, where is the data for all these healthly cross breds??

Edited by MissMolly

Yes, they do.

Which makes it sound snob-ish.. but it's not like that, it's nothing to do with that. It's about the health, and on going health of dogs. Your question (nixy) and the fact that it can't actually be easily answered is just one of the *many* reasons this forum's users promote purebreds.

Dogs are often dumped at pounds etc because they grow too big, people buy a cross bred assuming/hoping it will turn out one way, but it turns out differently.

It is not the owning of the cross bred that is the problem, gorgeous cross bred dogs can be adopted from shelters and rescue programs. The problem it is the breeding of them (puppy farms, BYBs) - and supporting (which you have done by purchasing your puppy)

I'm not suggesting you are going to dump your dog, but don't just fob off the fact that this a purebred forum like that... there are good and ethical reasons for it!

Edited by Bindii

Yes, they do.

i have familiarised myself with the forum rules and I am not posting in a breeders topic so I believe that I am allowed to write this in here as it didn't seem to fit in any other topic.

hiya,

here is a link to a height and weight chart for great dane pups. It is in lbs and inches so you may need to google search to convert it to cms and kilograms

height and weight chart

that may be a clue to how big she'll be :o

yes you have to be careful with what you say about muttlies :(

there are plenty of people here who own muttlies; and everyone here loves and values dogs whether they are muttlies or pure :laugh:

don't forget to say Hi to us on the M & M thread (mutts and mongrels thread). have a look in the "breed sub forum" which you can find at the top of the general section.

ETA the link for the muttlies thread:

M&Ms

Edited by raineth

Yes, they do.

i have familiarised myself with the forum rules and I am not posting in a breeders topic so I believe that I am allowed to write this in here as it didn't seem to fit in any other topic.

ohh!!! thank you so much, I was trying to find an appropriate area to type this and couldn't find anywhere, I didn't mean to insult anyone :o

You are more than welcome in the Mutts and Mongrel thread Nixy.....where the posters there own both pure breds and cross breds and we all get along fine. I have a Dane and my sons own Wolfhound crosses. The Wolfy crosses are not as tall as the purebreds of course as smaller breeds were in the mix. Given the mix of tall breeds in your pup Id say it will not be small...come on over to the M@Ms and let us see some pics... :o

I don't think she'll be small either, but to me this:

She turned 10 weeks last Thursday and at that time she weighed in at 7.8kg

doesn't sound particularly big for a cross of giant breeds? Granted, I am used to heavier-set giant breeds so happy to be corrected.