What The Flick Is This ? Update On Treatment Results P4, 51

Erny

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just as well he didn't fart on the camera click!!! :cry: Poor Mandela, we shouldn't laugh at his sore bum. Any news from the vet visit yet?

I haven't taken him. The 'blisters' and lumps that were under the blisters, have all but disappeared. I spoke via email with his naturopath (and gifted her with the photo's too .... she was quite amused :)). She thought from the first photo that the blisters near his butt hole was from him scraping his butt and causing abrasion. I know that others have suggested this too, but I still don't think that's the case. But hey .... I confess to being wrong now and again :rofl::o . She's taken into account the boil type lumps that are coming up and going down between his toes - she's away at the moment, but when she gets back she wants to run a "heavy metal" test on him, just in case.

The new lump that I found between two of his other toes has also receded - in fact I'm surprised at how much. It was quite bulbous when I saw it this morning. I bathed it in a bowl of Calendula tea and whilst there is still some redness it has gone down so much I'm wondering if I really saw what I saw.

So ......................... I dunno :love: .

Gotta say though, that between the hair analysis treatment (ie Barry Templeton) and the Naturopath (Jacqueline), Mandela's coat is looking really healthy, shiney and rich and sleek to the touch, and he seems to be holding weight a bit better even if he's not completely reliable in his eating patterns. *Touch Wood*.

Edited by Erny

Oh - and meant to add ...............

:) at all the "butt" comments. Funny. Poor Mandela. The butt of everyone's jokes (:love:). No ........... really, he knows you care deeply, from the bottom of your ...............

:o

I promise you, there is no danger of my lips meeting his butt!!!!

Although I'm sure if the neighbours saw me from the rear decking checking his butt hole out where there is better light, they would be wondering "what the ....??".

<sigh> ..... for the past 13 months I have spent a good part of my life inspecting and worrying over what goes in the front end and then how it comes out the other. Add insult to injury, now I'm becoming an expert in the actual orifice it comes out of :).

If anyone has a life, could I borrow it for a while?

Edited by Erny

If it turns up again or spreads, I'd be thinking some kind of pemphigus disorder.. especially if he gets matching sores on his nose/mouth.

A friend of mine's dog has pemphigus vulgaris and gets the pustules on his face, feet and anus. :)

Edited by poodlefan

Oh yuck, PF. I am preferring to think Mandela does not have this condition - especially because any of the hives (erupted or not) he has had have always responded well and quickly to the Calendula Tea bathes I have applied. Saying that though, there are a number of similarities of his symptoms that prescribe to the symptoms of Pemphigus Disorder that scare me somewhat.

I'm searching to see if I can find information as to whether the skin pustules disappear for periods at a time without major treatment. If they don't, then that doesn't fit Mandela's profile. But I need to take the lad out for a walk and run, so will keep researching when I return.

Oh yuck, PF. I am preferring to think Mandela does not have this condition - especially because any of the hives (erupted or not) he has had have always responded well and quickly to the Calendula Tea bathes I have applied. Saying that though, there are a number of similarities of his symptoms that prescribe to the symptoms of Pemphigus Disorder that scare me somewhat.

I'm searching to see if I can find information as to whether the skin pustules disappear for periods at a time without major treatment. If they don't, then that doesn't fit Mandela's profile. But I need to take the lad out for a walk and run, so will keep researching when I return.

I gather from my limited googling that there are degrees of the various types of Pemphigus disorder, and not all are serious. Fingers crossed he just had an itchy bum. :)

Fingers crossed he just had an itchy bum. :birthday:

:) gosh, I hope so.

I was thinking about it also whilst we were out having a lark down the park .... A Vet has seen the pustulous rash that invaded his body, as well as the hives. As has a Naturopath. I've had bloods done, including a full panel Thyroid and Auto-immune. I've had hair sample analysed. I'm not going to bury my head in the sand, but all results via bloods have turned up trumps, with "excellent" levels reported for Thyroid and negative for Auto-immune disease. That, coupled with the fact that his body rashes/hives have always responded quite quickly to the Calendula AND that it has affected mainly body as opposed to lips/eyes/mouth area, is making me think what Mandela has/has gone through is not what you raised as a possible.

So, I'm going to remain positive and keep working on detoxification, liver support, gut support and adrenal support. :o. But PF - I do appreciate your thought so please don't get me wrong. And I will print out some info on it so that yes, if symptoms reocurr (wherever they might be) I can put it in front of the Vet/Naturopath and ask - and if necessary, have a needle biopsy done to check, if there is any doubt.

In the meantime I'll keep watching for the lumps/bumps as they appear. I was hoping that those that are throwing out are towards the end of the detox. Not sure if it works like that. BUT - his coat does look great for the most part, and the weight is holding a bit more steady (still on lean side), so I'm fingers crossed we are already on the right track and dealing with things correctly.

Edited by Erny

Thanks PF. I'm thinking it is not it and I do believe I'm being a realist about it. His bottom looks fine now with no evidence that I can detect of the lumps and blisters. I'm now focussed on the lumps that seem to be persisting around his toes and pads at the moment. Just sprayed them with purple spray - that seems to help to a degree. Waiting for naturopath to return so I can show them to her. One of the lumps that's under the pad/inbetween the toes is looking a bit weepy but I think the spray is helping with that. Anyway - that's a different story to his bum blisters :thumbsup:. His coat is looking very good at the moment, although I still do have issues with his irratic eating patterns.

I named him "Mandela" after "Nelson Mandela", who came through and lived long even in the face of life difficulties. Seems he is living up to his name-sake after all. Although I didn't mean it to attract all these issues.

Never mind ..... we WILL get there :thumbsup:.

Edited by Erny

If you want to use a spray that does the same job as the purple stuff without staining, get some Ottoderm Erny. Horse vets hate trying to evaluate skin conditions and wounds that have been stained purple - I imagine dog vets feel the same.

If you want to use a spray that does the same job as the purple stuff without staining, get some Ottoderm Erny. Horse vets hate trying to evaluate skin conditions and wounds that have been stained purple - I imagine dog vets feel the same.

Thanks PF. Yes - I hesitated to spray the purple stuff on it for that very reason - hard to see exactly how 'angry' the skin is, colouration of the lump. Will go source some Ottoderm. It will help save staining elsewhere as well.

Cheers

Judi

Have seen something similar before, yeast infection....

Are you talking about the bump/blisters on his bottom, or the lump/boils between his toes ?

Erny, your going to have to back off on all those curries you keep feeding him :laugh:

LOL .... naturally I wouldn't feed curries (heavens knows what THEY would do to his already obviously sensitive stomach, not to mention the farts ..... I can imagine them now as much worse than they at times already are :laugh:) but honestly, the highlight of my day is when he will eat ANYTHING with enthusiasm. His favourite (read : most likely to eat) meal over the last couple of days has been beef mince. He's gone off ANYTHING chicken now (chicken frame mince; chicken breast strips; chicken wings; chicken mince as what we humans buy). Not into chewing bones (regardless of type) at all at the moment, although hovers over them and returns to them as though he wishes he was or could be. Won't touch lamb. Gone off turkey to a big degree. Pork is a no-no for him. Only occasionally will eat a small portion of BARF Rabbit. Won't even so much as lick Roo Mince or his old time favourite "VAN Allerblend". I'm certain he would enjoy the meats more if they were cooked, but that would work his digestive system harder (not to mention deplete the nutrition) and potentially he'd go off that after a while due to stomach pains.

This is all somewhat frustrating, although we're continuing to work through it. Hopefully there will be a light at the end of the tunnel soonish. This last bout of haphazard eating has been going on since last October. I can't believe I've been working hard on this side of things for 5 months almost consistently. But the silver lining that I'm holding on to at the moment is that his skin and coat has improved so much, and that he is holding his weight a bit better. That's got to be telling of something and I'm hoping that it is a sign of other things getting better to the point of being resolved.

Edited by Erny