Lucky 1 May - 16 Feb 2010

jackie_a1

On the 16th of Feb I sat with my best friend as he departed this world. I made the decision to have him euthanised due to a chronic and painful dermatitis that was a secondary condition to skin cancer.

He was my best friend and guardian and I made him a promise to never let him suffer. I adopted him from Blacktown pound nine years ago. A frightened emaciated twelve month old bag of bones. He was scared of his own shadow. But it was love at first sight the minute I laid eyes on him I put him on hold and picked him up the next morning. The name registered on his chip was 'Harley.' He had a new life and a new name, we renamed him 'Lucky.' The breed registered was great dane cross. We never really did find out his exact breed. It didn't matter from the minute he came home with us he made it his duty to serve the family loyally and without question.

I used to wonder why God puts such beautiful creatures on the earth to live such torment. Then I met Lucky. God puts them here for you. There is a dog out there for every good person. To teach them how to grow, how to love, and more importantly how to nurture something greater than yourself.

I saved his life and he completed mine.

Travel well my big boy. It saddens me to know that you are not at the rainbow bridge. For as loyal as you are you will wait for me at the gates till I return.

post-6962-1267374945_thumb.jpg