Stranger Test Behaviour Study

KismetKat

The other week my two dogs participated in the 'amicability study' that has been much talked about on these forums. I think I remember saying I would happily bet the PhD student as to how my dogs would react.

Well I'm glad I didn't.

Ended up (particularly once we left the room - me with dog 1 and OH with dog 2) they behaved quite differently from what I expected.

It was fascinating watching them on the computer video monitor.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I should explain what you do first.

You enter a room with the dog on lead. There is a 'stranger' sitting on a chair at the end of the room. You stand near another chair that is by the door. For the whole test you don't interact with your dog or give it commands - just be perfectly neutral.

After a while the 'stranger' aproaches you and you talk together. Then the 'stranger' tries to say hello to the dog. The stranger then goes back and sits down and you let the dog off lead and sit down with hands on lap.

A bit later the 'stranger' calls the dog to him.

A bit later you leave the room.

While you are out of the room the stranger then a) calls the dog to him and then b) tries to approach the dog.

You then go back into the room and sit down (but still ignore the dog).

Then the test is over.

What do you think your dog would do yellow girl?

Edited by KismetKat

Oh I am so glad this test was finally done - I am fascinated as to the results! Lately I have realised that my dog is not as predictable as I had thought previously so please do tell us all. How many people and dogs took part? What breeds and ages etc?

To answer questions - my dogs were numbers 76 and 77 (I think) - she needs 200 dogs overall. As to types of dogs - I think she's had all sorts (purebreds, mutts, DDs), but could not say how many of which sort.

As to what my dogs did...

I'll start with dog '2' - our collie from collie rescue. He did the test with my OH who is NOT a prime caregiver - so I do wonder if this affected how he behaved. However this sort of variable is covered by the 4 fullsome questionaires you complete before doing the test.

Now our collie is typical of the breed. Lovely dog, good with people and other animals. When I have him at the off-leash park he's prone to gauging other walkers trajectory, standing about 20 foot in front of them in direct line with where they are walking, and then cadging a pat. :laugh:

I expected him to maybe be a little unsure in this strange situation, but happy to greet the 'stranger' and cope reasonable well.

Oh dear :(

He showed mild signs of distress from the start (panting). He did not like the 'stranger' touching him. He did not approach the 'stranger' when off-lead and called. Once the OH left the room he started a high pitched yip and yap. He totally ignored any and all overtures by the 'stranger'.

I felt awful :(

He did calm down immediately OH returned and stood very close to him (even tho he was still being ignored) and just panted a bit.

Now the other dog (the mutt with me) - this is a dog totally sutured to me. My expectation was that she would be fine until I left the room

where I suspected she would fling herself against the doorway and try and snort be back via any crack she could find under the doorway. As to her reaction to the 'stranger' while I was in the room, I figured it all depended on if she thought he was a 'dog' person or not (she does have the occasional left-wing-separatist-lesbian moment with blokes :laugh: )

While on-lead she was very sniffy - SO sniffy she couldn't be bothered with the 'stranger' trying to say 'hello'. Once off-lead she was still sniffy, but did run up tail wagging to say a brief 'hello' when the 'stranger' called her.

But it was what she did once I left that was so surprising. Not what I expected (see above) and the researcher did tap herself on the head and whisper 'smart dog'. Apparently very few dogs, so far, have exhibited this behaviour.

OK - any guesses what she did?

Edited by KismetKat

She started taking notes????

Do you think being in a room (ie enclosed space with no escape) changed your Collie's behaviour? My fearful girl will now get a pat by a stranger at the park, but never when there is no escape route.