Stranger Test Behaviour Study

KismetKat

Well, it will be interesting to see the results. Were you given a likely time-frame for the study outcomes?

No - it's a PhD so they take a little while don't they?. As to 'results" I think the main point of the study is to see if a scientifically valid test is actually possible (she concedes it might not be) - but am sure some interesting data may become apparant. Perhaps she will publish some preliminary findings/theories/observations?

Smoothiegirl - getting our rescue collie was the best thing we ever did. He's a gorgeous cuddlebunny :laugh: and a great mate for ort little mutt. Here's my favourite

KismetKat, your dogs are lovely. Isn't Dany beautiful. My god, he is such a Collie, they have a really particularity to their play don't they, especially the use of their front paws and the pouncing. Bronte has always been very expressive with her paws. I watched the other vid of them at the retreat and I think I was as excited as you were to see Dany follow Rosie through the tyre, so cute. There are many many reasons I want another Collie, but I really want Bronte to have buddy that plays on Collie terms.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did the test today :) Very easy to follow and was interesting to watch Zig's response to the 'strange situation'.

He sniffed around a bit when we first entered the room and then just stood next to me when I sat down. I think he was waiting for an instruction and he couldn't work why I wasn't interacting with him at all. He wasn't really interested in the stranger apart from giving his shoes a really good sniff! Was quite friendly when patted but just didn't care all that much.

When I took the lead off he stood next to me still...I suspect he was waiting for a release command as I have trained that quite strongly. Eventually he wandered off and explored, walked past the stranger, wagged his tail when patted but came back to me.

When I left the room, he whined as I expected him to do and paid absolutely NO attention to the stranger which is very normal for him. He didn't get too anxious, though, which is good. When I returned he just stayed close by again and was very pleased to get outside and pee and scrape until his heart was content - clearly he regarded that room as an "indoor" room like our decking and house as he didn't even look like lifting his leg.

Tammie is still looking for more participants so please PM me and I would be happy to pass on the details :rofl:

so no real surprises to you what zig did?

Not at all - which makes me think it might be an accurate way to measure response to a novel situation/someone . He behaved exactly as he normally would if I left him with someone. I must get Kirty (DOLer) to give her opinion as she has held his lead for me whilst I went for coffee.

Well I took my two along today and it was really interesting. Tammie was extremely professional and I think the study will prove worthwhile. My GSD behaved exactly as I expected once I left the room ie whining constantly, frantically pacing and totally ignored the *stranger*. My little Cocker however was less laid-back about my absence than I had expected. Once I left the room, she did go and sit in front of the stranger (with her back towards him) and then resumed whining and howling and trying to open the door. Interestingly, Tammie said that some dogs were far more likely to go and sit with the *stranger* than others and that I thought was very curious.

Anyway, she still needs more dogs (and their humans!) and if anyone is interested then it is well worth contacting her. It only took about ten minutes and the drive out and back was really pleasant too!

don't leave us hanging KismetKat.......................

See post #22 on page 2 :thumbsup:

Brooke - I wonder at the end if any broad conclusions could be drawn. Eg/ rescue/had since puppy - is one of other more likely to not like being left? I know that's not what the study is about, but I just wonder what other info may come out of it.

If the conclusions could be predicted in advance there's no point to doing the research. "It's complicated and there's no simple answer" is a valid and useful conclusion.

It sounds to me like the direction of the research asks questions that are crucial to the initial stages of a rescue dog's adoption. It may turn out that dogs that don't greet the stranger will often cosey up to the stranger after a few days of the owner's absence. I don't see the study leading to full conclusions or unambiguous conclusions . . . but if the data are sorted out, I think they could provide a good first step in predicting which rescue dogs will thrive and which present problems . . . .and perhaps insight into how to prepare the adopting family to deal with the problems that come up (eg, 'give it a week . . . be friendly . .. the initial 'coolness' is likely to go away')"". Sounds like some interesting observations are being collected. Sorry I'm in WA or I'd be happy to flood the study with Labradors."

Edited by sandgrubber

I agree KismetKat - I think that any research that can help dogs and people live together more harmoniously is a good thing! This study may well be only a first step but at the very least it is actually a First Step!

Well, I'm going along, to 'blindly' participate at the end of April. :thumbsup:

I'm looking forward to it, even if only to see if Dakota reacts as I expect her to.

I agree with some in the notion that even a 'small step' might help. And, if it is concluded that it is not possible to gauge 'amicability' via a simple experiment, then that is still a result.

This is interesting. Do you think the personality of the 'stranger' also matters? My dogs would greet some strangers with great enthusiasm, but with others they would be withdrawn.

Also, do you think the results would be different if the test was done at the dog's home?

Definitely! I'd say that's why the study is being carried out on neutral ground, and always the same location, to remove territorial behaviour from the equation. With any such study you need to control as many factors as possible, with the dog being the only variable if possible. I know my Ella would behave completely differently at home to how she would if in that situation. (not that I could begin to predict what she might do in this study, but at least I know she wouldn't bark at them non stop for the first minute like she does at home :thumbsup:)

If I was in Vic, I'd be happy to blindly participate.

ETA: Oh and KK, loved the vids of your two playing, pissing myself at all the yodeling your collie does! :cry:

And I loved it when he followed Rosie through the tyre too!

Edited by hortfurball

ETA: Oh and KK, loved the vids of your two playing, pissing myself at all the yodeling your collie does! :thumbsup:

And I loved it when he followed Rosie through the tyre too!

So happy to share - I love those two rascals to bits! :cry:

PS: I actually considered we should change the collie's name to "Chewie" (short for Chewbacca) with all the weird and wonderful noises he's capable of making.

I just watched the videos of Tammie's presentation and the dogs' reactions. I think, but I don't know for sure, that Kuges would be like the first dog (greyhound?) and just stand placidly then when I left the room would be like the lab and go and sit with the stranger. Ella - I'm not sure what she'd be like while I was there, probably try to sniff them, but when I left the room I'm pretty sure she would be like the deerhound and try to climb into their lap. :cry::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

I drove over to Wonga Park this morning to participate in this study.

As someone else already said, Tammie conducts herself very professionally, and is very nice about everything.

Dakota was fairly indifferent towards the stranger, spending most of her time sniffing around and whining. When I left the testing area, she spent a lot of time near the door waiting for me, whereas I thought she might seek affection from the stranger. She wasn't afraid of the stranger, just more interested in what I was doing.

Tammie is still looking for more volunteers to participate, so If you're in Melbourne and willing to travel to Wonga Park, please feel free to contact her at [email protected]

:)

If a test is being constructed which would have validity & reliability when testing humans, the cohort for study has to be very large.

I find it difficult to figure out what this researcher believes she's testing.

If it's sociability traits in a dog, then a sociable context is required.

As the intent of producing the test appears to be sorting out which dogs will make good pets....then removing that context is removing the variables which are relevant to stimulating those kinds of behaviours.

If it's just....how does this dog react to a particular stranger in a particular location that is strange to the dog at this particular point in time....aren't there already 'assessments' which do that?

It'd be interesting to read the literature review which supports the hypothesis for this piece of research.

If the test gets to the production stage, that rationale should appear in the manual. So I'll wait...

Edited by mita

So many variables.

All she's finding out is how the dog reacts in that room with that stranger.

Frosty has different reactions depending on context and the stranger and the sex of the stranger.

At the vet she'd make friends with anyone that would let her including the cats, if I let her.

But at the park she only greets some people and I can't tell who. And some people she will greet today, she will actively avoid the next day. She does try it on with anyone who has treats though. Have to work on that one.

Maybe this will help people understand where the study is heading:

Tammie King, Linda C. Marston, Pauleen C. Bennett

Applied Animal Behaviour Science

Breeding animals able to tolerate the stresses and demands of today’s requirements, training them to behave appropriately, and educating pet dog owners about the characteristics of different dogs and the need for realistic expectations about dog behaviour is likely to help reduce the incidence of problem behaviours, such as separation anxiety, destructiveness and aggression. It is also likely to increase owner satisfaction and reduce the number of dogs relinquished to shelters.