Entire Dog Peeing

I have a young handsome pointer here who is 18 months old and has just started cocking his leg. I am happy for him to do this on trees but have been a bit cranky that he's been lifting his leg on our outdoor setting (which I can never catch him doing!!). Last night I find that he's peed on a rubbish bin inside. He doesn't spend a lot of time inside unsupervised as I usually crate him because he's so silly. As he gets older I want to be able to leave him inside unsupervised and not have to rely on a crate - as I've done with my other dogs as they've become more sensible. I would also like to stop him peeing on the outdoor setting. He does react beautifully to being told off - I just have to catch him in the act which is tough with the outdoor stuff.

Firstly is there anything I can do about preventing him wanting to pee on things? Behavioural stuff?

Secondly what is best to clean it with to DETER him (not just to remove the pee and smell). Biozet/vinegar etc isn't a deterrent.

A picture of the culprit... it's difficult to get angry with a face like this. :happydance2:

post-3856-1267917851_thumb.jpg

I would use Urine Off to get rid of the smell.

Zig is a prolific marker but I just treated him like a puppy being toilet trained when I caught him trying it inside! Back to being with me ALL the time or crated and outside every 30 min to pee on command. When we moved here I treated the large deck & furniture as an indoor room. Allowed to run around under supervision and removed to "outside" to pee every few minutes. He's not allowed to pee close to the door either or on the herb garden. Unfortunately supervision is all I can suggest. Zig is inside unsupervised a lot now and he is fantastic.

I would go urine off too, and spray it on any area you don't want him to toilet.

Does it deter them?

I will certainly get some if it does! I've never had this problem before but I'm worried enough to consider nutting the little bugger if I can't solve it. I cannot STAND the smell of entire dog pee in the house - it's just not on! I know the behaviour is difficult to break but I'm thinking it will be easier sans ginger nuts. :thumbsup:

Pointees I shall have to get my camera out and capture his beauty more often. I'm afraid I don't have any new ones of him at the moment. He is such a beautiful dog. :happydance2: There needs to be more solids around! They are so lovely :grimace:

I would go urine off too, and spray it on any area you don't want him to toilet.

Pointees I shall have to get my camera out and capture his beauty more often. I'm afraid I don't have any new ones of him at the moment. He is such a beautiful dog. :happydance2: There needs to be more solids around! They are so lovely :heart:

There do need to be more around, but I guess because they don't do to well in the ring, they aren't going to breed too often. :laugh:

I would personally love a solid orange or solid liver. :thumbsup::grimace:

Blab, I know many people who have used UO with success. It's been ages since I've used it and even then it was for a cat. I am actually considering getting some to stop Micha pissing on this one spot on the back deck. From memory it's not overly exxy, definitely worth a shot!

Edited by huski

Blab, I know many people who have used UO with success. It's been ages since I've used it and even then it was for a cat. I am actually considering getting some to stop Micha pissing on this one spot on the back deck. From memory it's not overly exxy, definitely worth a shot!

I am going to buy some today!

Spotted Devil I will definitely go back to 100% supervision while inside and hope that the UO encourages him to pee elsewhere in the yard outside. The little bugger pees on all four legs of the outside table and then lays under it like some sort of royalty. It's his man-cave - all marked out and smelling like him. :happydance2:

There do need to be more around, but I guess because they don't do to well in the ring, they aren't going to breed too often. :grimace:

I would personally love a solid orange or solid liver. :happydance2::thumbsup:

I don't know many who are in the ring so we need to get more out there. Like chocolate labs - the quality is improving and judges are starting to take notice.

I can sympathise! Boo does not go in the house - he would not dare and he only tried it with the potted plant out the front once and learnt quick!

However, I live in a tree lined street and every single tree has to be watered. I tend to keep walking so he can't stop and then every often stop and give the toilet command.

He lost the privilege of going into Petbarn some months back.

I had read that once they have learnt the behaviour then desexing does not really help.

I can sympathise! Boo does not go in the house - he would not dare and he only tried it with the potted plant out the front once and learnt quick!

However, I live in a tree lined street and every single tree has to be watered. I tend to keep walking so he can't stop and then every often stop and give the toilet command.

Mish likes to pee on everything to when we are out on walks, but I just keep walking now after he does his first couple of big wees - I have no patience for marking, although he does sometimes pee and walk at the same time :happydance2:

It all comes down to training. You make the rules and make him learn them. Constant supervision of him, inside and anywhere else you don't want him to pee, would help. If he goes to lift his leg in the areas you don't want him you tell him off. Keep him on a lead if you have to.

It's not really entire dogs that mark, it's basically untrained dogs that mark which can also include females.

Edited by puggy_puggy

We dont allow marking on walks & as your making it acceptable behaviour.

Walks for us arent about peeing & if it is a toilet break walk at shows the they are told the word .

Agree entire or not doesnt make alot of difference but it all comes down to what you make acceptable.

Although i think you may find you have answered your own question "its his man cave"

We dont allow marking on walks & as your making it acceptable behaviour.

Walks for us arent about peeing & if it is a toilet break walk at shows the they are told the word .

Agree entire or not doesnt make alot of difference but it all comes down to what you make acceptable.

Although i think you may find you have answered your own question "its his man cave"

Well done for taking everything I've said out of context.

He is peeing on the outdoor furniture when I am not there. He spends all day outside and I cannot possibly supervise his every waking moment. The outdoor setting is also (surprise surprise) outside and I cannot stop him peeing on it because I am not there all day.

Just because I put it into an amusing context does not mean that I am allowing it or condoning it.

He has peed inside twice now - once in my presence when I caught him in the act and suitably disciplined him, and another time last night when I was out of the room. As you would well know, Showdog, there is no point doing or saying anything after the deed has been done. I've made it clear to him that it's not acceptable yet he went ahead and did it. How in your humble opinion am I making it okay for him to do this? He had one small opportunity and he took it. He won't be getting another until the problem is solved.

Undesexed dogs do not have the same motivation to mark their territory. I have an entire bitch here who marks nothing but the lawn - never had a problem, never had to train her beyond toilet training. Same with a desexed male.

I have bought Urine Off which seems to just be a cleaner and not a deterrent. Does anybody know of a deterrent which might work?

When I had a pissing competition going on inside between my bitch and dog, I clean everything very well (shampoo'd carpets, cleaned walls etc) then I sprayed liberally with UO so they are less likley to smell it and re -mark.

After that I got Bosito's Eucalyptus spray in a can and sprayed it liberally (open your windows it is quite strong!) in the areas the had pee'd. They haven't done it again, also had VERY close supervision) but as they generally sniff before peeing, I worked on the theory the don't like the smell of eucalyptus so would be less likley to.

So I would probably give the outdoor setting a good scrub, use UO then spray Citronella - Get of My Garden is one - and re-apply regualrly. Same inside but I prefer the Eucalyptus so I used that.

Good luck

When I had a pissing competition going on inside between my bitch and dog, I clean everything very well (shampoo'd carpets, cleaned walls etc) then I sprayed liberally with UO so they are less likley to smell it and re -mark.

After that I got Bosito's Eucalyptus spray in a can and sprayed it liberally (open your windows it is quite strong!) in the areas the had pee'd. They haven't done it again, also had VERY close supervision) but as they generally sniff before peeing, I worked on the theory the don't like the smell of eucalyptus so would be less likley to.

So I would probably give the outdoor setting a good scrub, use UO then spray Citronella - Get of My Garden is one - and re-apply regualrly. Same inside but I prefer the Eucalyptus so I used that.

Good luck

Actually that's a good idea - I was thinking essential oils but Eucalyptus or Tea Tree is probably a good solution as a deterrent post cleaning with UO. I don't mind the smell too much - it's a helluva lot better than entire male dog pee!!

I had read that once they have learnt the behaviour then desexing does not really help.

I've found the opposite with my boy. He was a real pain. He'd pee on anything and everything. Every fence gate, door, post, washing machine....

After i had him desexed a few months back, there has been a big improvement in this.

No doubt it's not an option for BL, but it did make a big improvement in my dogs case.