Bloat

barly

Hi all,

Mt 3yr saint male yesterday had surgery for bloat (gastropexy). Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this. My first concern is his health no question about that, But just wondering if anyone knew of any dog that had gone on after having bloat to show or to be bred with.

Years ago I know of a boxer bitch that had bloat, had surgety and later had 12 pups by caesarian. There was a reasonable time between the bloat and the caesar but I cant recall how much. The boxer was registered but I dont think she was ever shown, it was a pedigree litter though.

No reason why not. Although some authorities suggest that bloat does run in families, and if you have a dog related to one who has had bloat, take extra care. However, it is the deep chest which seems to be the problem, not a hereditary condition.

If your dog makes a full recovery, there is no reason why not. My old dog had GDV and gastroplexy 5 years ago now, he carries a scar but unless the judge is going to tip your boy completely upside down, they will never see it.

As to breeding - there is research out there indicating a familial link. I have since found out that both my boys parents bloated. But, my personal experience suggests it is related to depth of chest, stress and even weather related (know of several dogs, mine included, who have bloated when the weather changes suddenly from really hot to cold, or vice versa). My boy sired 2 litters himself and I am not aware of any of his progeny having suffered from bloat and they are all getting on in age now.

I'd personally just be making sure you don't do any breedings to bitches with a family history or relative with bloat, just to be on the safe side really.

Hi all,

Mt 3yr saint male yesterday had surgery for bloat (gastropexy). Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this. My first concern is his health no question about that, But just wondering if anyone knew of any dog that had gone on after having bloat to show or to be bred with.

Thankyou so much everyone for your replies. As he is my first case of bloat I was unsure if he would be able to get back into the ring or to be bred with. But again his health is my number 1 concern.

Thanks again

I hope he has a good recovery for you - they can take a while, depending on internal damage etc. Ask your vet about his diet as well as my boy couldn't handle bones for at least 12 months after his surgery but he also had some stomach necrosis and other damage which we think contributed. So just be aware there could be some issues afterwards, so check with your vet about diet.

Good luck!

Thankyou so much everyone for your replies. As he is my first case of bloat I was unsure if he would be able to get back into the ring or to be bred with. But again his health is my number 1 concern.

Thanks again

As bloat is not a hereditary genetic condition if the dog makes a good recovery I don't see why it shouldn't be able to breed or compete (obedience/show/etc).

We don't actually know that.

There are actually good signs that point towards it being so.

Bloat is a mystery....that's as scientific as people can be.

Barly - sorry to hear that, we know how traumatic bloat is.

A high profile Saint breeder had a bitch that bloated then went on to have litters and be shown again.

As my experience with bloat was one of close relatives (mind you, going back many years), I would need to research rather thoroughly prior to making any decisions about whether to breed with an individual or not. But mine were girls so your considerations might need to be different.

Hope the recovery is quick with no long term effects.

Sags

:thumbsup:

One of my males bloated, due to a bone being stuck in his throat. A week at the vets, two surgeries, one to fix his stomach and the other a week later to remove the bone. He went on to sire litters a few months later with no problems.

I would not buy a puppy of a bloat-prone breed from a dog or bitch who had bloated. I lost my Dane girl to bloat at 2.5 years and found out later that her father had died from it too. I think bloat in a young, otherwise healthy dog is cause for concern. I know not everyone will agree here, but speaking from a puppy buyers perspective, I wouldn't do it.

I would not buy a puppy of a bloat-prone breed from a dog or bitch who had bloated. I lost my Dane girl to bloat at 2.5 years and found out later that her father had died from it too. I think bloat in a young, otherwise healthy dog is cause for concern. I know not everyone will agree here, but speaking from a puppy buyers perspective, I wouldn't do it.

Danes are a bloat prone BREED regardless of whether the Mother or Father have bloated - the same with any other deep chested Breed.

That's not to say I don't think there is a family link but I just wanted to make a mention about the breed being prone as a whole.

Edited by sas

Hi all,

How is your boy doing? Bloat is horrible my old dane bloated after the age of 10 resolved well without surgery but exactly one month later bloated again, the only sign was the look on her face and a drop of saliva on her mouth because I new my dog I new something was wrong she had surgery and made a good recovery dying from a different cause. My new dane had a gastropexy done when I had her spayed as a precaution, a recommendation from a breeder in America.

It needs to be remembered that just because your dog has had a gastropexy it can still bloat, the gastropexy helps to prevent the torsion of the stomach which causes the death of the dog. As a non breeder but pet owner I would like to know about bloat in my dogs family especially at such a young age, given there is no real cause and lots of theories about bloat I think I would be reluctant to buy a puppy with a family link to bloat.

Good luck with your dog and I hope he makes a full recovery.

I would not buy a puppy of a bloat-prone breed

I know that, which is why I said the above. :laugh: But my dog died from drinking water on a hot day (thats what the vets suspect anyway). It would seem that some dogs are more predisposed to getting bloat than others within the same breed. As I said, after my experience, I would not do it. Dogs that bloat later in life don't concern me so much because who knows what the body is doing at that stage. But young, healthy dogs who bloat easily (like my girl did) would concern me.

There are studies that show close relatives of a dog that has bloated have a 60% chance of bloating too.Bloat tends to occur in older dogs in alot of cases,but if i had a bitch/dog that bloated young,i would not breed on with it .There is no problem showing it though.

My breed is bloat prone too,which is one of the reasons i take several precautions when feeding/travelling and in hot weather.Stress has also been found to be a contributing factor in bloat.

Well everyone, I do have some good news at least Buzz is coming home today :laugh: I know its going to be long recovery but he is a tough cookie :( So as I said before my 1st priority is his health and anything after that is a bonus. He is a beautiful dog and we were only just getting back in the ring after 16 mths due to me having a baby. So fingers crossed

There are many dogs shown that have bloated ,some do choice to breed with them but many of the people i deal with dont.

In my experience those who have bloated there has been a major family history .

As for bloat prone any breed can bloat & many dont consider small dogs as being in the same boat but they can,precautions should be taken irrespective of size

As bloat is not a hereditary genetic condition if the dog makes a good recovery I don't see why it shouldn't be able to breed or compete (obedience/show/etc).

We don't actually know that.

There are actually good signs that point towards it being so.

Bloat is a mystery....that's as scientific as people can be.

I stand corrected. Everything I'd read about it had said there is no link, body shape and sometimes conditions (being fed straight before/after excercise, etc) had more to do with it. I can't say I've done much research in recent years, though.

That B word is a baaaad word here :mad It strikes fear in my heart :rofl:

I hope you dog is making a good recovery.

Out of 5 Std Poodles I have owned 2 suffer bloat, both needed surgery, both had gastropexy, they were 9 & 10yrs respective....and they were mother & daughter.

The are a number of factors mosr have been mentioned in this thread,

• deep chested dogs
  • genetically predisposed
  • eating or drinking immediately before of after exercise
  • kennel management if numbers of dogs

I'm sure there are plenty of dogs in the ring that have suffered from bloat.

My bitch here is still going very strong & will be 12yrs in Sept! I am a VN & I try to do everything right....but sometimes sh!t just happens :rofl: