Where Will Your Next Dog Come From

poodlefan

Where will your next dog come from?  

287 members have voted

1. 1. I will get my next dog from

• DOL listed registered breeder
    • Other Registered Breeder (ANKC or other register)
    • Rescue Organisation
    • Shelter
    • Pound
    • RSPCA
    • Non registered Breeder
    • Pet Shop
    • Other
  2. 2. My next dog will be

• A pup
    • A mature dog
    • A senior dog
  3. 3. DOL Forum Membership has influenced this decision

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DOL has definately influenced my decision on where my next dog will come from.

It is a long way off but when we add another Poodle (my eldest daugher wants a Ridgeback and she has already picked the breeder LOL) I am undecided wether it will be a rescue (of any age) or a mature dog from a Reg Breeder or even a Pup from a reg breeder but these are the only option (no pet shops or BYBer). It also depends on my family situation at the time and what dogs are available since we have small children and will already have older dogs

I will definately ask discretely on the forums next time for breeder recomendations though and I wouldnt influence me either way if they advertise on DOL or not.

Edited by shells

Definitely from a registered breeder, not necessarily one listed on DOL though. Won't ever go the rescue route, it's just not for me. My next puppy will almost certainly be a girl. And hopefully within the next year.

I'm so undecided. I think fate will have it's way - we were planning on buying from a registered breeder when Sophie fell out of the Sky and into our lives, hehe - life just figures this stuff out. If I was to have to make a decision right now, we'd purhase another GSD from Sophie's breeder because she is just amazing. Although if a purebred long-haired GSD ends up in the shelter i volunteer at, that could all go out the window and he/she may well come home with me. Not that that's altogether likely. Or lets aim for the sky here - if a Leonberger end up in the shelter, again - all mine. hehe.

I voted but it was a bit airy fairy. If I was going to get a pup, I am still tossing up on breeds, it would be from a registered breeder and not necessarily one on DOL. I have a senior here though (16 and going strong) and once he passes would be happy to take in another oldie through a rescue organisation. We have always had a rescue or two and a dog of a chosen breed.

PS would be more than happy to take on another senior GSP at some stage. I have been bitten by the GSP bug but don't think I could handle a puppy one.

Edited by BJ.

I have learned a lot about dog ownership and the right kind of dog for me from DOL. :laugh:

My next dogs (which I won't get until my current dog passes hopefully a good few years away) will be on current plans one from an ethical registered breeder on limited register and a rescue friend if I can find a good match for dog one in terms of temperament etc, once dog one has been settled in. For preference I would go for a rescue in foster care as IMO you have a better idea of how a dog would behave in a home situation.

I have been very lucky with my current rescue who is the all round love of my life but I have gained a lot of knowledge from being on this forum with regards to what to look for in future dogs.

Not sure about age, probably young but not necessarily a pup given that I work full time.

Next dog will be a pup from a registered breeder but not ANKC registered (WKC reg Kelpie).

Unfortunately my experience with Zoe means I am not comfortable going through rescue for my next performance dog. I would like to try rescue again at some point, would like to foster Kelpies, need a lot of work on OH though - he says maybe when we are rich :laugh: Should have seen him when I told him about stunning West Wyalong girl ;)

Any new pup I get will be from a registered breeder and probably from a breeder listed on DOL - though it may be one bred by me OR imported and only time will tell on that front.

I won't discount falling madly in love with a special senior in rescue and keeping it - I've only had one foster failure in 6 years of rescue and that was dear old Grandma.

I voted with getting a registered pup but mine is a one day thing and doesn't exactly reflect what has happened within the last year. That is I adopted a 2 yr old Golden through the GR Club of Queensland as it suited my situation at the time (had Benson already from a registered breeder from a pup and am now single thus couldn't take on another pup) but once my boys depart I know it will be another registered pup and then probably another rescue :laugh:

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

My next dog will most likely be from a breeder listed on DOL, but only because I have been eyeing off her dogs for ages (not just because she's DOL listed). I won't be for a looooong time though and the breed I'm interested in (Bostons) tend to have a pretty long wait anyway.

DOL has definitely influenced my decision.

Depending on weather I want a certain breed or not will influence my decision. I want to do good and rescue a pup. However OH & I have been talking about getting certain breeds and if we go ahead with this it will be a registered pup, Not necissaryly on here.

DOL has influenced me. Before I was a member I had no idea of puppy farms etc

Edited by jettyjet

My first dog (old boy now) was from a petshop ;) I was only young & didn't know any better but don't worry I will never ever buy any pet from one again.

My other 2, both older rescues and the most gorgeous dogs, one a foster failure :laugh: ;)

When I get another dog which hopefully won't be for a long time, it will be a rescue, I will always rescue now, too many beautiful souls out there that need a good home.

I will probably only ever have deeries or deerie x's in the future as they are the most wonderful dogs but it depends on the dog that finds me ;)

DOL has been a wealth of information & has probably influenced some of my decisions about dogs from lots of information I have read.

My next pup will come from my boy's breeder in about 12 to 18 months time. We have already spoken about it and she is keen for us to have another one of her pups (even if she is wanting us to take one before I want to.)

I want to get her as early as possible (8 weeks) and will be taking a month off work to settle her in and start bonding rather than letting her run with my other dogs and have to sort out the problems I have already been through with the two I have now. (Problems from a performance POV, not from a pet dog POV.)

DOL is a great source of info, but it has not influenced by decision.

One from column A and one from column B :laugh:

I would one day like a pup from a registered breeder (DOL or not makes no difference, though DOL recommended does.), but only after my kids are in their teens.

But... Only months ago, I would never have thought I'd consider a rescue dog again, however, Honey has been such a blessing that when the time comes I dont know if I could go past another adult rescue goldie. Maybe I'll do both. :)

DOL hasnt influenced my (in)decision, but has educated me on the pros of going with a purebred dog. Even if I get another (non GR) rescue it will be from a breed rescue that comes recommended.

Must add, even though I never considered a Border Collie - my freind is a registered breeder and has had the first litter of BC's, 4 black and white and 2 blue merle girls. They're 7wks and heart melting! I wanna puppy!!!!!!! Gorgeous parents and they've had a great family home start to life, I would take one in a heartbeat if I thought i had a patience for a puppy just now! hehe.