My 15 Year Old Toy Poodle Had A Seizure This Morning & Is At The E

Pepi

I have an update :mad:):mad

I just called the vet and he said he is continuing to make good and steady progress. He is responding well to treatment and running another lot of bloods tomorrow. He is still unstable on his feet but the vet said this is due to all the sedation that was given to him and with time will wear off. But he is able to sit and stand for short periods and take a few steps here and there before he falls over.

He has made so much progress the vets are confident to send him home for the weekend unless something happens between now and Saturday morning.

Ive been asked to give them a call tomorrow lunch time and we're going to go from there!!

That's great news about Pepi :mad Hope that he continues to improve and comes home for the weekend.

BTW what vet surgery are you going to? I'm in Adelaide and just wondering :o

:mad to you both, and :)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like a kid on Xmas day waiting on his return, there's no words to describe how i truely feel.

I do remember that feeling everytime Chloe comes home from a hospital stay... and of course, the day Sasha arrived to me :)

I'm very happy that things are going so well... and I agree, it's VERY hard to find a good vet that you trust. Hold onto that one!

I sure will hold onto him and wont let go lol

I have an update :mad:):mad

I just called the vet and he said he is continuing to make good and steady progress. He is responding well to treatment and running another lot of bloods tomorrow. He is still unstable on his feet but the vet said this is due to all the sedation that was given to him and with time will wear off. But he is able to sit and stand for short periods and take a few steps here and there before he falls over.

He has made so much progress the vets are confident to send him home for the weekend unless something happens between now and Saturday morning.

Ive been asked to give them a call tomorrow lunch time and we're going to go from there!!

That's great news about Pepi :mad Hope that he continues to improve and comes home for the weekend.

BTW what vet surgery are you going to? I'm in Adelaide and just wondering :o

:mad to you both, and :)

Thanks, I just sent you a PM with the vets details :D:)

I missed a call from the vet nurse this morning, called back and she was busy but waiting on a call back from her now.

The message that was left on my answering service was "Pepi is doing really really well and his kidneys are stabalized and he is ready to come home tomorrow"

Yipee!!! I am just waiting on her to call me back and we can go from there.

Tomorrow 11am is going to be exactly one week since he had the seizure and hasnt been home. It feels like forever. Cant wait to have him in my arms again. Partner will be driving tomorrow so i can cuddle my little pooch all the way home :rainbowbridge::):hug:

Wow I just read this roller coaster of a thread. I am so glad he is coming home. :rainbowbridge: so relieved for you.

It sure has been one roller coaster ride. Dont know how i made it through the week. Even the vets are suprised how well he has responded to fluid therapy!

I am over the moon right now, we're going to have a little welcome home get together for him when he arrives. I am picking him up at 8am :hug:

One week without our fur babies IS forever :hug:

So glad he will be back home tomorrow. Will there be any special care instructions or new medication that he will be on to keep him stabilised now?

I bet you just can't wait for a cuddle. I know one little man who will be very spoilt indeed :rainbowbridge: And it sounds like he could use a bit of spoiling after all the trauma he's been through, and been so brave through it all. He's a real trooper.

ETA - try to keep his home coming a little low key (lots of love and cuddles of course but not too much excitement)... he's been through alot in the past week, and although he's doing so much better, he will be weakened and needs to build up his strength again! Too much excitement might knock the stuffing out of him :hug:

Edited by Kelly_Louise

One week without our fur babies IS forever ;)

So glad he will be back home tomorrow. Will there be any special care instructions or new medication that he will be on to keep him stabilised now?

I bet you just can't wait for a cuddle. I know one little man who will be very spoilt indeed :laugh: And it sounds like he could use a bit of spoiling after all the trauma he's been through, and been so brave through it all. He's a real trooper.

ETA - try to keep his home coming a little low key (lots of love and cuddles of course but not too much excitement)... he's been through alot in the past week, and although he's doing so much better, he will be weakened and needs to build up his strength again! Too much excitement might knock the stuffing out of him :o

A week sure is forever without our little furballs.

He will need special care from now on and this does include diet and medication. However the vet said he wanted to go through all that with me tomorrow morning when i pick my little angel eyes up.

The fluid therapy has helped stabilise his kidneys and we will need to continue oral meds at home for it to stay that way. If he crashes then he will need to go back for more fluid therapy but we need to play that by ear, some dogs need it monthly, some every second month and others not at all.

Its still a little early to tell but it looks the future might not be as grim as we first thought, he might have quite a few more months left in him, possibly a year.

We willl try to keep everything as low key for now, but we wont be able to help all the cuddles LOL there's me, my mother, my father and partner all hanging out to get our hands on him. I am just glad i will have him in my arms for the hour and a half drive home and no one can touch him as partner needs to keep his hands on the wheel to drive us safely home. Might even sit in the back seat with him so i can be assured of having him all to myself. :rofl:

Might even sit in the back seat with him so i can be assured of having him all to myself. :rofl:

That's what I do when I pick my baby up too :o

Cuddles with people he is familiar with and used to won't hurt him, I'm sure he'll love it. Just be sure not to over exert him - I'm also sure he will be very excited to be home - and they don't understand when they are overdoing it, so we need to make sure we help keep them in check so he can recuperate as well as possible.

Sounds like he has a very loving support crew waiting for him :laugh:

Honey we're home!!!!! :o:confused:

I have never been happier in my life.

The vet was so good he doesnt normally work personally on Saturdays and he came in just for us. Pepi is looking great, the nurses were so great they even bathed him for me.

His meds havent changed to much he is going to be staying on the fortekor, frusimide and aminyllin, they've added another one for his kidneys cant remember the name now and a powder supplement to add to his food.

We have to go back next Tuesday for another blood test just to monitor his kidneys and adjust meds accordingly.

The vet told me not to mess to much with his diet, a kidney one would be ideal but not always possible, he gave me some hills can food and told me to very gradually wean him onto it.

I cant say good enough things about this awesome vet, they didnt even charge me for the meds and coming in on a day he doesnt normally work just for us is just unreal.

Pepi is still wobbling on his feet but he can walk a little, i just get nervous so i follow him around lol to make sure he is ok. He came home and ate 2 sausages lol and now he is sitting next to me as i type this.

Mum went out and bought him a new pet bed as well :D:):laugh:

Will try to get pics during the day of my little angel eyes, mummy's little fighter.

I still cant get over how excited i am having my boy home today. I feel so much better in myself. I am actually able to sit and eat a meal myself knowing he is by my side. He has been following me closely. He had a nap in my arms before and now he is in my mothers room sleeping on one of her best mink blankets :dunce:

I have taken a few pics of him throughout the day i will post here to share.

He has lost a fair amount of weight through this ordeal but the vets expect him to put it back on pretty quickly at home :( And he has shaved bald spots all over him from where they took blood, but he is still gorgeous as ever. In the second pic u can actually see his back leg where they shaved him and the side of his neck.

The first three are of him sitting under my computer table with me earlier on this afternoon. He is looking a little scruffy and due for a clip but dont want to stress him out to much with all he has been through, so will wait a couple more weeks till he is feeling better to send him off to be pampered.

Picture779.jpg

Picture778.jpg

Picture772.jpg

The next couple are of him in the lounge room showing off his new bed his grandmother :) bought for him. Of couse he cant be without his favourite little brown blanket, so had to put that in there to make him even remotely interested in his new bed.

Picture777.jpg

Picture776.jpg

Edited by Pepi

He looks so happy to be home Pepi !! :(

Good to hear you are feeling better too :dunce:

He seems to be enjoying all the cuddles :) Its been forever since i held him in my arms. I was holding him before and he just 'flopped' and had a nap so i had to lay down on the lounge in a really uncomfortable position while he lay on top of me in the most comfortable position of course, i didnt want to disturb him so had to wait until he woke LOL I am a bit stiff now, but its all worth it for the little man.

I watch out for his every step my mother calls me 'mother hawk' lol