"the Sooner The Better" What Sort Of A Comment Is That?

Pepi

Going through this tough time i am reminded of a comment a very nasty woman made to me about my little man a few months ago.

We were at a xmas fair and this animal rescue team was there with a few animals asking for donations for their care, they were a small unknown place and relied heavily on donations. Me being the animal lover that i am walked up to them and put a generous note donation into their tin (i am always one to give generously to animal charities and have several i support on a regular basis). One lady was over whelmed and couldnt stop thanking me enough and she told another woman about the donation i had made. Then we began chatting and i proceeded to tell her how much i love animals and then we got onto the subject of my little pooch who has a heart condition, so i call him my heart dog and she seemed a bit weirded out that i spend so much time, money and effort on him. Then she came up with a comment and said "the sooner the better" for him passing on.

How rude is that coming from an animal rescuer? And the tone she said it in and the way she laughed made me sick.

Makes me think she was in it for the money and not genuinely caring for the animals. Just something that crossed my mind today that i wanted to share.

Edited by Pepi

I can never understand people who profess to be animal lovers/carers who can not understand our love and devotion to our animals wellbeing.

they make me sad when they seem to think that our dogs are a disposible commodity and if it is broken, then repalce it. :)

I hope the tough times get easier for you. :laugh:

Are you sure you didn't mis-interpret the comment?

The sooner the better is often meant that the dog doesn't suffer long term with illness so it's not actually a horrible thing to say.

Rescue people aren't in for the money....get involved in rescue and you'll see there is no money in it at all...most rescuers live on the bones on the ass to help these dogs.

Believe me this woman was a nasty piece of work and would never donate to that charity again. Her comments of "why spend so much time and money on him? really got me thinknig what she was on about.

Sometimes people who are involved in rescue, or rehoming dogs, or animal control officers deal with suffering, dying, and euthanasing animals for so long, they become hardened.

That's when they begin to make comments like that. Doesn't happen to all those involved, but it does to some. I have seen people involved become more and more callous.

The remark was made to you by someone whose usefullness to rescue has passed. Take no notice.

Don't say who it is, but I bet I know who you are talking about. I know of one rescue run by a person who is a real nasty pasty when they can't get anything out of you.

lol i cant even remember the name of the organization, i do have thier flyer somewhere. She's at all the craft shows every year. I am planning on going to the easter one this year and if she is there she sure as hell wont be getting any donations from me.

Would have asked for her to open the tin and give your money back for those comments.

Believe me i felt like doing that!

As they were leaving she was pushing everyone out so she could go home early and the other lady said the wallabies need their bottle when she gets in and she said not till i watch my show first.

I'm sorry you had to hear something like that about your beloved boy. :(

I remember visiting my boyfriend's place the weekend after my heart dog, my Border Collie Tobie, had died (way before his time at 23 months old). His dad was there and when my mother told him the story and said she'd better drop me off and go before she burst into tears, once she left he said,

'So.. this was some sort of a calamity, was it?' in a kind of 'why is it such a big deal?' tone.

I could barely control my anger and managed a tight, 'Yes, as a matter of fact, it was,' when what I really wanted to do was slap him, hard.

He certainly isn't a dog person and I think was chased by one as a child, but even so I believe if you're a human being with a working heart, you should have the sense to realise that even though you don't share another person's grief, you can at least hold back such a comment if you can't fathom comforting them.

Thought I'd share my story so that we can relate to each other's... anger, sadness, maybe? :)

Fancy that, donating to them and then getting such a heartless comment. I think I also would have done what Nekhbet described.

Everyone has different ideas of how long they will let their pet live for with various illnesses when the pet is a senior, and also how much money they are prepared to spend on them when old and ill.

Sometime people do it to lengthen the life of the pet for the sake of the pet, and others do it for their own sake - never wanting to let go of their pet.

Everyone is different and perhaps the person that made that comment to you Pepi was voicing their own opinion but in a less than diplomatic way :)