Breeder Websites

ellz

My pet peeve is breeder sites that don't have their location. How do i know where in NSW you are located if you don't tell

Some breeders (like myself) prefer it that way -

its called privacy :laugh:

If you want to know personal details you can always email/phone the breeder and ask :eek:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My pet peeve is breeder sites that don't have their location. How do i know where in NSW you are located if you don't tell

Some breeders (like myself) prefer it that way -

its called privacy :)

If you want to know personal details you can always email/phone the breeder and ask :rolleyes:

I'm not after an address but its nice to know if you are on the north coast, sydney area, far south coast or country before the phone call. I've also seen some websites that don't even tell you the state of residence.

One other thing I have come across on breeders websites is the demand in how contact is made. NO EMAILS or NO CALLS Retuned to mobiles is bound to turn me off. I prefer email as initial contact and only have a mobile phone.

I prefer email contact initially and I don't reply to mobile numbers because I can't. If somebody contacts me via my website, doesn't leave an email address or landline number and only leaves a mobile, they don't get a return call.

The 'I don't call mobile phone numbers back" thing from breeders really put me off as well. It gave me the impression that the breeder was rude and demanding and cheap. Sorry, but that's how it comes across, especially when it's typed IN BOLD on the website contact page.

It kind of shocked me just how many breeders have it on their websites though. I guess it might cost more from a country number to call a mobile? Perhaps an explanation of this may be more polite as I don't have a landline either anymore and I felt a bit scared even leaving a message...Skype anyone?

I have to laugh

My breeder of Cruise, has a website, but it shows her 2 other breeds.. nothing about Westies

My breeder of Hemi, only has his dogs on DOL... I find DOL a very good tool for finding out info as it usually has pedigrees and photos on it.

However back to the question, I HATE sparkly things that follow your cursor and silly music!

Design

Simple,clear (no dancing around), no sound, no music

Web color used and web friendly font used

Maximum 3 fonts per page

Maximum 3 colors on a page

Pictures need to be optimized

Never put more then 8 pics on a page (IE limitation of 8 connections at once)

Do not use frames

Please test on different resolution, different browsers (at least two)

For business page I do not recommend intro page but in this case i can agree

Navigation

Maximum 3 clicks to any info.

Not more then one scroll to get to the bottom page.

Main navigation on top going horizontally (More and more users use wide screen)

You can have second tier links vertically

Please have navigation links at the bottom screen.

Other

Contact page ( Lately we recommend not to have the email address because of spammers) more contact form

if you are not designer please do not pretend to be. get a template from the web or just simple copy someone with the design :)

Please if you can afford register a domain ( i hate to visit a website where i need to type breedername.somethingelse.breedname.freexxxx.com.xxxx.someth

ing)

it costs around $30-$50 for two years.

If you can squeeze hosting better. Nothing worse than someone that visits your page but is force to get adds for xxxx enlargement or dating sites.

Content

To be continued ( I am at work)

The 'I don't call mobile phone numbers back" thing from breeders really put me off as well. It gave me the impression that the breeder was rude and demanding and cheap. Sorry, but that's how it comes across, especially when it's typed IN BOLD on the website contact page.

It kind of shocked me just how many breeders have it on their websites though. I guess it might cost more from a country number to call a mobile? Perhaps an explanation of this may be more polite as I don't have a landline either anymore and I felt a bit scared even leaving a message...Skype anyone?

Yes, I was surprised by how many I came across too. Which is why I mention it here. I can understand someone not wanting to call mobiles (they aren't more expensive from the country, they are the same everywhere) but if a breeder has a webpage, then I would expect they have email and that should be acceptable for contact, at least initially. Then arrangements can be made for further contact.

It was the outright rudeness that shocked me. One breeder had something like "I DON"T REPLY TO EMAILS AND I"M NOT RINGING MOBILES SO DON"T EVEN BOTHER!"

Another went to great lengths to explain that buyers were not welcome at their home and arrangements would be made to meet them elsewhere and no one would ever know where they lived etc. etc. Now that's fair enough, but that's something you explain politely to a potential buyer after they've made enquiries and you've ascertained their interest. It's not something you plaster all over your website.

Websites are your public face. It's nice if your face is friendly and welcoming as well as informative and easy to read.

One other thing I have come across on breeders websites is the demand in how contact is made. NO EMAILS or NO CALLS Retuned to mobiles is bound to turn me off. I prefer email as initial contact and only have a mobile phone.

I prefer email contact initially and I don't reply to mobile numbers because I can't. If somebody contacts me via my website, doesn't leave an email address or landline number and only leaves a mobile, they don't get a return call.

Not everybody is in a position to use all of the latest technology and as a breeder who fields MANY contacts each week via email and telephone, there is simply no way I could AFFORD to reply to every single message I get with a mobile as the only form of contact.

You may not understand it, but the "average" conversation about a breed can take upwards of 30 minutes. If I had 20 cents for every call I've had which has taken well over an hour I'd be very wealthy. I'm just glad that I'm not paying for them. It's amazing how many red herrings a caller can throw into a conversation and how many "Ol' Yella" stories you have to hear about their long-deceased dog that was the best thing on four legs and they want one just like it. Why should that come out of my pocket?

Sorry if I sound glib and sarcastic but I don't make money out of this, so I don't see why I should have to lose even more money returning mobile phone calls. If I lose potential puppy sales because of the shallow reason of my inability/refusal to return mobile phone calls, then chances are the person may not have been somebody I would have allowed one of my puppies to go to anyway.

Either way, I'll never know and I don't lose sleep over it! :)

Ellz, no one expects it to come out of your pocket but one of your questions was what do people hate on breeders websites. That's one of my hates. I do not expect a breeder to call my mobile and chat for hours, but if I can make contact by email then follow up with a phone call from MY mobile at a mutually agreed time, when they are free to answer my call and expecting it.......then that would suit me just absolutely fine.

But plastering rude demands about not calling mobiles all over a website isn't really a good look. It just comes across as rude and arrogant, especially when coupled with NO EMAILS! And unfortunately I quit smoking so I can't do smoke signals and my psychic abilities never really took off, in spite of my desperate attempts.

Edited by GayleK

Ellz, no one expects it to come out of your pocket but one of your questions was what do people hate on breeders websites. That's one of my hates. I do not expect a breeder to call my mobile and chat for hours, but if I can make contact by email then follow up with a phone call from MY mobile at a mutually agreed time, when they are free to answer my call and expecting it.......then that would suit me just absolutely fine.

But plastering rude demands about not calling mobiles all over a website isn't really a good look. It just comes across as rude and arrogant, especially when coupled with NO EMAILS! And unfortunately I quit smoking so I can't do smoke signals and my psychic abilities never really took off, in spite of my desperate attempts.

Absolutely agree. That's why my home phone number is clearly displayed on the contact page of my website, together with my email address and a contact form.

As I said, I'll reply to landlines or emails but I won't/can't reply to mobiles. If that is the only method of communication a party leaves, then unless they contact me again, there is no reply. I don't state this on my website but perhaps I should.

Editing to add: With regards to your first sentence. Unfortunately, you'd be surprised how many prospective puppy people DO expect calls etc to come from the breeders' pockets. It is almost like they think that you are paying for their "browsing" time.

And something else that is an issue for most breeders I would imagine is when people ring at absolutely absurd times and then get "narky" because the breeder isn't in a position to drop everything and talk to them, then and there.

Edited by ellz

I could not help it. Statement i do not call MOBILE PHONES or RESPOND to emails is rude not professional. Regarding email : Why then have a website. Regarding mobile phones: You do not need to provide the mobile number neither call my mobile. But you must provide some kind of communication. It is better to state that you will communicate using email and call land line phone number. Then i know that i can not expect call to my mobile. It is same thing but sounds better.

Edited to add: You do not need to list any phone number because people will call that number and expect you to drop anything and talk to them. That is the reason why business put numbers on web pages. Breeders can request contact number and appropriate time to call from potential buyer and then speak with them.

Edited by Misha

I don't think its rude to advertise you don't calls mobiles, its ruder if you don't and the person is expecting a reply that never comes.

For me having lots of info about the dogs that I can then go off and research futher (because I brought a pup from US dogs it was great having the OFA number and I could check in the database myself what the scores were and what related dogs scored).

Also having a link to breeders that have your lines, you have thier lines. I emailed a reputable breeder that these dogs had lines from in the states to for a bit of info and got a glowing refrence. :)

I suspect many people answering here are not in the demographic you're interested in. Showies and breeders usually won't just be going on websites. However, from what I remember back when I was looking for the first time....

Agree no sparkles, animated gifs, crappy music, twee cartoon pictures of the breed in bridal outfits, rainbow vomit swirl wallpapers etc.

If you have an active breed a picture of a retired dog on a couch doesn't really cut it. Like Nekhbet I like to see some action, and I also think after PDE a lot of other people will want to see pictures that convey the message "healthy!!" not just an assertion that they are healthy. Everyone says that. More generally I think it's important to try and counter stereotypes.

I think the "I'm going to check you out" message is OK, but I think it needs to be accompanied with an explanation why. I nearly didn't go with the breeder of my dogs, something which would have been a big shame, because of her "reserve the right to visit without warning" note on her website. Knowing her now I know why she does this but to someone not familiar with rescue and neglect, it sounds intrusive.

If you are looking for a cheap AND easy option, I recommend the DOL sites. Less than $90 for a year, and its very very easy to work it out. Best part is that you decide on the content and can put up/take down what you want, so that saves big $$$. Troys's designs are quite simple and clean and are fine for an initial website, esp if you are learning how to do it. If you get stuck, or the website does something weird with the coding (and that does happen) you can give Troy a quick email and he will sort it out. For value for money, its unbeatable - esp when the fee includes the domain hosting too. And I haven't had any problems with people finding my site, it gets several hits a day usually!

:)

Pssst....My current site is template based and hosting and domain cost me less than $90 per year. But yes, I agree that for somebody who doesn't want to go it alone, the DOL sites are cheap and easy.

I had gone it alone for several years but now have a DOL website, very quick and easy to use. Couple of things I would like different bit overall an excellent way to advertise your dogs.

Noting the comments earlier (thank you to those who looked) I've altered our site. Not much I can do about the "buttons" (I still need to learn some more) but they do appear to be easier to read. I'd like opinions please :) :rolleyes: :scared:

I don't think its rude to advertise you don't calls mobiles, its ruder if you don't and the person is expecting a reply that never comes.

It's not rude to politely request that people don't leave a mobile number as you can't return their call, but the wording on some websites leaves a lot to be desired.

I love this thread - very timely for me. I'd really love some feedback on our site please :rolleyes:

For those who havn't done one yet NetFusion Objects is a free web builder program and it's really easy to use. Gives you plenty of options for your site. Ours is hosted by Hostess (sorry DOL) and allows us plenty of traffic.

I've used Netobjects Fusion too for a few years now and have found it pretty good. I got it for free with a CD on the front of a computer mag and, even though I'm not that IT literate and it's a few versions older than the latest Fusion 10, I managed to design and upload my website and find it easy to maintain by myself. I got slack for a while there about keeping it current but have been busy lately updating it.

If you want to have a look at what I've done with Netobjects Fusion take a look at www.banobrae.com. If you have any suggestions for information or features (very simple ones!! :) ) that would make it more useful for puppy buyers or people looking for info on the breed, I'd be delighted to know! :-)

JK

I love this thread - very timely for me. I'd really love some feedback on our site please :scared:

For those who havn't done one yet NetFusion Objects is a free web builder program and it's really easy to use. Gives you plenty of options for your site. Ours is hosted by Hostess (sorry DOL) and allows us plenty of traffic.

I've used Netobjects Fusion too for a few years now and have found it pretty good. I got it for free with a CD on the front of a computer mag and, even though I'm not that IT literate and it's a few versions older than the latest Fusion 10, I managed to design and upload my website and find it easy to maintain by myself. I got slack for a while there about keeping it current but have been busy lately updating it.

If you want to have a look at what I've done with Netobjects Fusion take a look at www.banobrae.com. If you have any suggestions for information or features (very simple ones!! :rolleyes: ) that would make it more useful for puppy buyers or people looking for info on the breed, I'd be delighted to know! :-)

JK

:) at least you got the name the right way round....(doh!) It is easy to use.... I'm using it so it has to be! :cheer:

I love this thread - very timely for me. I'd really love some feedback on our site please :cheer:

I've used Netobjects Fusion too for a few years now and have found it pretty good.

JK

:) at least you got the name the right way round....(doh!) It is easy to use.... I'm using it so it has to be! :laugh:

You were pretty close :scared: I had someone trying to remember the name of the program who called it "Netajinx Contusion" which seemed an ominous freudian slip :rolleyes:

JK

I love this thread - very timely for me. I'd really love some feedback on our site please :mad

I've used Netobjects Fusion too for a few years now and have found it pretty good.

JK

:confused: at least you got the name the right way round....(doh!) It is easy to use.... I'm using it so it has to be! :o

You were pretty close :cry: I had someone trying to remember the name of the program who called it "Netajinx Contusion" which seemed an ominous freudian slip :cry:

JK

Now I don't feel so blond...... :cry:

I bought my Rottie pup last year and found myself wondering how I should raise the pup the right way cause I didn't receive any info (I was given the free Eukanuba puppy book). I searched a lot on the internet for info on how to train a Rottie because I have heard so much about how they are quite different to other dogs. With this in mind, the things I would like to have in a puppy pack:

1. Detailed information on "best practice" training/discipline for the breed

2. Details of health issues of previous litters from same breeding

I would also like to see a full money back guarantee on pups with a serious illness which will kill them prematurely. My pup was diagnosed with moderate sub-aortic stenosis at 12 weeks and it progressed to severe by 9 months. She won't live to be 3 years old. The breeder wouldn't give me a full refund, but gave me half with the promise of a new puppy when she dies. I would have much preferred the refund straight up and sourced another pup later on from somewhere else.