Stupid Backyard Breeders

Ainsley

Have a look at this ad my husband got by email...

Hi Everyone, have a friend trying to find homes for her litter of pups. Any Takers!!

The puppies will be exactly 6 weeks old on the 26th March 10, born on the 12th February.

PUPPIES FOR SALE - LABRADOR X LAB RETREIVER

1 X BLACK FEMALE

2 X BLACK MALES WITH WHITE/BROWN MARKINGS

3 X WHITE/GOLDEN MALES

WILL BE IMMUNISED, WORMED AND VET CHECKED.

$250.00 AVAILABLE TO TAKE HOME WEEKEND OF 27TH MARCH 2010. (BLACKSOIL - IPSWICH)"

:)

Well just as a point of interest. If the pups are Labrador X Labrador Retriever - wouldnt that just make them Labradors?

I saw an add in our paper yesterday for a 'breeding pair' of Paps - raved about them stated clearly they were a breeding pair and then closed add with 'no papers'

Well just as a point of interest. If the pups are Labrador X Labrador Retriever - wouldnt that just make them Labradors?

I saw an add in our paper yesterday for a 'breeding pair' of Paps - raved about them stated clearly they were a breeding pair and then closed add with 'no papers'

That's only the first of the many things that set off warning sirens in my head!

This is exactly why any Joe Blow should not be allowed to breed dogs willy nilly....these people know nothing about the breed! How can they possibly know the intricacies of the genetics involved in responsible breeding?

If they don't even know a Labrador IS a Labrador Retriever, how can they possibly know about hip and elbow scores and PRA?

Sounds like something else is in there anyway - last I checked Labs didn't come in multicolour.

People have NO idea about Labs/Golden Retrievers, which is just scary as I thought they would be two breeds people would be familiar with. I don't even react now beyond quietly correcting them when people tell me I have a Lab, or people tell me I have a Lab x GR - I used to explain the difference, but then I had people say "right so yours is a long haired golden retriever" Sigh.

Sounds like something else is in there anyway - last I checked Labs didn't come in multicolour.

People have NO idea about Labs/Golden Retrievers, which is just scary as I thought they would be two breeds people would be familiar with. I don't even react now beyond quietly correcting them when people tell me I have a Lab, or people tell me I have a Lab x GR - I used to explain the difference, but then I had people say "right so yours is a long haired golden retriever" Sigh.

Thank you!

I knew this was the right place to come to bitch! :)

Sounds like the ad was for an accidental mating litter.

Which is why people should get their pets desexed.

sorry, this just irks me! Especially when it is "my breed". My parents had Labs, and I have one now. (love Miley, btw, my other dog is a ruby Cav)

Sounds like the ad was for an accidental mating litter.

Which is why people should get their pets desexed.

sorry, this just irks me! Especially when it is "my breed". My parents had Labs, and I have one now. (love Miley, btw, my other dog is a ruby Cav)

any breed needs to be desexed.. I actually had a similar "conversation" with my nearly 19 year old today... I have booked her cat in for a spay in the morning and seeing as I am caring for the kitten until my DD can find a place that will allow cats, I thought I would cover the $175 vet fee and she could pay me back $10 a week once she gets a job.. her answer to that was

Don't worry about desexxing her..she's an indoor cat anyway :flame:

she is getting desexxed still and if DD doesn't want be a responsible pet owner, kitty is going to Kirty :mad

ETA thanks re Miley :mad I love Cavaliers ♥

Edited by puggerup

You know that you could cross them Ainsley and sell them as Labaliers and make a lot of money :flame:

You know that you could cross them Ainsley and sell them as Labaliers and make a lot of money :flame:

OMG is that the new fad now? :mad

The public also don't know that a Golden Labrador is a Labbie X Goldie. I get lots of puppy buyers looking for golden Labradors and get bored with explaining. And it puts me off a bit that the Retriever breed section on the general forum seems to be golden retrievers, while the Labradors have their own section.

It's not just Joe Public who gets the terms mixed up, and this sort of topic naming on a Pedigree dog forum doesn't help. Not to be a grouch or anything.

Joe Public don't know that the Labrador's correct name is Labrador Retriever, they think that it's a Labrador X Golden Retriever :flame:
Edited by sandgrubber

The public also don't know that a Golden Labrador is a Labbie X Goldie. I get lots of puppy buyers looking for golden Labradors and get bored with explaining. And it puts me off a bit that the Retriever breed section on the general forum seems to be golden retrievers, while the Labradors have their own section.

It's not just Joe Public who gets the terms mixed up, and this sort of topic naming on a Pedigree dog forum doesn't help. Not to be a grouch or anything.

Joe Public don't know that the Labrador's correct name is Labrador Retriever, they think that it's a Labrador X Golden Retriever :flame:

When I see ads for "gold"or "golden" Lab pups I just think "FAIL".