Funny Behavior

Whenever I get mad at Shyla and put on my mad voice (which is a one tone unhappy voice, not shouting or shrieking, I keep it a low tone which she knows is angry mumma) I use that voice and frown and she can tell I am not happy by my body language and vocals. When I do this, she will sulk and put her head low and come over to me and then stare at me intently and lick at my face and neck very slowly and tentatively til I relax! Her tail wags a little in anticipation or hoping that I become un-angry maybe.

What is this? :rolleyes: To me it's like she's saying sorry mummy/alpha, sorry sorry, but I could be wrong LOL

Edited by ~ShelleAndShyla~

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

she will sulk

Nooo- she is being submissive.

How is she able to get to your face to lick you?Are you on the ground?

IMO- if you are showing disapproval- better to just turn away from the dog... remembering corrections/disapproval is only effective for whatever action you CATCH the dog doing... I do things.short, and sharp.. and then carry on as normal.... no apologising from either party..no cuddle to make up... just BAH! ignore then back to doing what I was ....

Appeasement gestures, or calming signals, or submissive. It's all pretty much the same, I think.

This is why my last dog and I were not all that good together sometimes. If I got cross she'd do much the same thing, and invariably get underfoot and make me crosser. She would go to her bed to begin with, but would sneak out to try to tell me how terribly stressful she found it all. Now I have dogs that don't care much when you get cross with them. Much better. :rolleyes: The E eventually saunters away from things when told "Erik, would you leave it alone!" and puts his ears and tail down, but he doesn't come over. That's the way I like it.

Whenever I get mad at Shyla and put on my mad voice (which is a one tone unhappy voice, not shouting or shrieking, I keep it a low tone which she knows is angry mumma) I use that voice and frown and she can tell I am not happy by my body language and vocals. When I do this, she will sulk and put her head low and come over to me and then stare at me intently and lick at my face and neck very slowly and tentatively til I relax! Her tail wags a little in anticipation or hoping that I become un-angry maybe.

What is this? :rolleyes: To me it's like she's saying sorry mummy/alpha, sorry sorry, but I could be wrong LOL

Perfect!!!, not to hijack your thread Shelle, but that intent staring needs to be reinforced and rewarded and to hold the stare as long as possible. It's a great step in teaching a competition heel gaining eye focus from the dog :o

What is this? :coffee: To me it's like she's saying sorry mummy/alpha, sorry sorry, but I could be wrong LOL

Perfect!!!, not to hijack your thread Shelle, but that intent staring needs to be reinforced and rewarded and to hold the stare as long as possible. It's a great step in teaching a competition heel gaining eye focus from the dog :o

Interesting! I usually always stare and then she breaks the stare, I guess cos she sees me as alpha?

What is this? :coffee: To me it's like she's saying sorry mummy/alpha, sorry sorry, but I could be wrong LOL

Interesting! I usually always stare and then she breaks the stare, I guess cos she sees me as alpha?

When she stares at you like that, say "look" for example and praise her........."gooooood girl" and give her a treat. Teach her what "look" means and when she stares at your eyes with a "look" command, she gets rewarded. She gets the treat for making eye contact. If she breaks eye contact withhold the treat and command "look" again and increase the time before you give the treat. It's a great focus exercise Shelle, then when she can hold a stare on command, you can start walking and teach a focused heel. :D

Edited by Longcoat

When she stares at you like that, say "look" for example and praise her........."gooooood girl" and give her a treat. Teach her what "look" means and when she stares at your eyes with a "look" command, she gets rewarded. She gets the treat for making eye contact. If she breaks eye contact withhold the treat and command "look" again and increase the time before you give the treat. It's a great focus exercise Shelle, then when she can hold a stare on command, you can start walking and teach a focused heel. :coffee:

You can also use this exercise at mealtime. When feeding her make her sit and "look" at you, with full eye contact. You can start with just a few seconds and then gradually increase the time you would like her to look at you. I do this exercise with my food obsessed GR and I can now put his chicken frame in his bowl and he will immediately sit in front of it and watch me intently waiting for me to give him permission to eat :o

Sorry to go OT just had to agree with Longcoat :D

I'm not sure that appeasement gestures, even if they do involve great eye contact, make for very beautiful heeling :coffee: I like the thinking though, turn it around straight away, reinforce the good. Just be careful not to reinforce sooky behaviour, maybe ask her to do something else then reinforce that instead.

The alpha-female is simply the breeding female. This sort of appeasement could happen towards any member of a pack, or another pack, or in this case - another species entirely.

Edited by Aidan

How did the topic of a dog exhibiting calming signals/submission turn into a heeling exercise? I would never associate heel work to something negative. Being at heel should be the best place in the world...a sweet spot.

Having Beagles in the obedience ring yes I agree having eye contact it VERY important.

But when you have reprimanded your dog and it exhibits calming signals you need to move past the behavior you just corrected. Let it go so your dog can relax. Pack animals don't hold grudges once a matter is dealt with it's business as usual.

Edited by BeagleBoys2

she will sulk and put her head low and come over to me and then stare at me

My GSD does exactly the same thing.. It kinda makes me feel bad for yelling at her :love: She know when she has done wrong thou.

My Dane on the other hand, as soon as she senses somethings up there is NO way she will come anywhere near you. If you can get close enough to smack her bum (ill probably get negative comments for smaking) she drops it to the ground and keeps running....

Funniest thing to watch :(:eek:

My Dane on the other hand, as soon as she senses somethings up there is NO way she will come anywhere near you. If you can get close enough to smack her bum (ill probably get negative comments for smaking) she drops it to the ground and keeps running....

Funniest thing to watch

yes, you will get something said to you for this :love:

if it was a small child who hit the deck, cried and ran away when they saw you coming?

her reaction is pure fear- and that's funny???? :eek:

This is really not teaching your dog anything- except that when you approach a certain way- she gets HURT.

Funniest thing to watch

yes, you will get something said to you for this :love:

if it was a small child who hit the deck, cried and ran away when they saw you coming?

her reaction is pure fear- and that's funny???? :eek:

This is really not teaching your dog anything- except that when you approach a certain way- she gets HURT.

yeah, a scared dog is hilarious.

PF- I ,too was wondering about this, it seemed a bit at odds with itself .

To get a dog to look at you, wouldn't T O T be a better place to start?

A focus exercise isn't difficult. You can simply hold a treat in front of your face, use the dog's name and reward the dog for looking in your eyes. Prolong the time and phase out the lure and bingo.. dog looks to you on cue.

Some serious obedience folk put the food in their mouths and spit it out for the dog during a heel work pattern. Sounds gross but gee it works. Their dogs eyes never leave their faces.

Edited by poodlefan

Lighten up..... The dog doesnt get hurt...If she was scared then she wouldnt come back to me.. Her tail is non stop wagging and SHE doesnt drop to the floor only her bum so you cant reach it.. she is more scared of the words "WHO DID THIS"

I understand this is an open forum and people can say what they want. But you dont know my dog or her attitude or her behavour so you cant judge.