Maternal Antibodies And Vaccination

sandgrubber

The AVA is now telling us that, once past 14 months, three years is often enough to vaccinate in most circumstances. We're also told that the antibody level may go down over time but memory (or T?) cells continue to provide protection after the antibody (and titre) levels go down.

Does anyone know how all this relates to the maternal antibodies in the colostrum? Can a bitch produce maternal antibodies from memory cells? Or are we better off continuing annual vaccinations for brood bitches?

If all dogs get their puppy vaccinations, then 14 month vaccination and then titre testing as recommended and a further vaccination at the 3yr mark, would the same premise apply as to any other dog?

Why would maternal antibodies behave any differently? Either the bitch has antibodies or not? :laugh:

Would it be prudent to test the level of antibodies via titre testing for the bitch prior to breeding if you weren't prepared to vaccinate yearly? :laugh:

Not quite sure what you're trying to get across? I'm interested though :)

I've actually been considering the same thing, sandgrubber - thanks for asking the question.

Especially as I've just been reading other threads about how prevalent parvo seems to be at the moment - and there has been mention that vaccinated dogs have contracted it.... I'd like some more information about that.

Interesting question however I would have thought that nature in her infinite wisdom would have this sorted and the hormones surrounding whelping and producing colostrum would stimulate the immune system to produce of the required antibodies.

Human mothers don't get boosters when/prior to pregnancy - perhaps there's been research into how maternal immunity works in humans that could be considered?

Our vet - very experienced breeder vet - recommended that we vaccinate our bitches about 6 months out from being bred, ensuring coverage for puppies. The bitch we will be breeding hadn't been vaccinated for 2 years prior anyway.

There is alot of parvo around at present and I would have had her done even if her levels were good - I don't want to risk puppies where it can be prevented.

I only vaccinate every 3 years,th epups get done now at 8 weeks.

off topic,bu ti had the full course of everything when i was a kid,then proceeded to get all the things i had been vaccinated for! Measles badly,mumps very badly and whooping cough-these were all around the 7 yr old age

Vaccinated for hep b in the SES last year,had to have a titre test to test all dieases for my aged care course,and it came back with absolutely no immunity to hep b,measles,mumps or rubella- how does that work????

So even with vaccination,some animals may not "sero convert'(i think thats what the doctor told me).

Nature, like ourselves, is infinitely wise except when she is stupid. (some also say Mother Nature is a bitch).

Sounds like the bottom line is don't count on the 3 yr routine for a brood bitch. Thanks, everyone, for info.

Interesting question however I would have thought that nature in her infinite wisdom would have this sorted and the hormones surrounding whelping and producing colostrum would stimulate the immune system to produce of the required antibodies.

Human mothers don't get boosters when/prior to pregnancy - perhaps there's been research into how maternal immunity works in humans that could be considered?

Edited by sandgrubber