Next Door Neighbours Kids Throwing Knives

Snout Girl

We have lived in our place for almost a year now, and get on extremely well with all our neighbours (both sides, and behind).

On one side we have a large family of 6 children, and until recently it was just the mum and grandmother, the dad was overseas (we think) but has come back.

The children are basically good kids, can be rambunctious (sp?) and a little loud and naughty but nothing that terrible.

their ages range from 1 year to 13 years.

we have helped this neghbour on numerous occasions (once when her baby was bleeding heavily following a circumcision, mums english isnt so good so we called ambulance and performed first aid etc).

they are always sending in home grown vegies etc. in turn, we dont complain when we have to throw their ball back 20 times a day and pretend we dont mind when they wake us up continually pushing the doorbell at 7am on a sunday morning wanting to pat the dogs :eek:

we have such a good relationship that makes my dilemma such a tough one.

a few weeks ago, i was supervising night time poos and wees with the dogs. i noticed sally VERY interested in chewing something near the clothes line. i investigated, and discoverd she was chewing the black handle end of a very large kitchen knife! :( i was horrifed, thinking of the damage it could of caused if one of the dogs had swallowed it. i will admit, i was shocked to almost tears.

it could of only come from one place. the other side neighbours only have little babies and behind us is an older couple.

OH went in the next day, son of about 8 or 9 admitted throwing the knife, mum told OH to talk to him as 'they dont listen to me' (her words)

OH gave said child a stern talking to about the dangers of knife throwing, could hurt dogs, or if i had been outside hanging the washing and it could of hit me etc.

have had problems with these children before throwing food scraps over the fence for the dogs, played out the same as this incident where the mum told my OH to talk to the kids. that was also a problem as they began to throw onions and large seeded fruit that bert could choke on. luckily it stopped.

i had hoped that after the OH had spoken to the family that was the end of the knife throwing. unfortunately i was wrong.

the other day i was outside on poo patrol when i noticed sally trotting around looking very pleased with herself. upon investigation, it was another knife, but this one she had already chewed the black bit off (found that in the garden) and was carrying around the serrated edge! :thumbsup:

i was furious! the first time i made all sorts of threats privately to OH about calling the police if it happened again, i was in shock, upset etc.

now that it has happened i dont know what to do.

talking to the mother doesnt help. talking to the kid doesnt help.

i am concerned about my dogs safety, but also that of my OH and I if we happen to be in the firing line of these flying knives.

it seems extreme to call the police on an 8 year old, the council would say it was a police matter.

i really dont know what to do :thanks:

anyone been in a similar situation? what avenues do I have left? :walkdog:

Edited by bertandsally

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bummer I was hoping that may have been the case and what you said to the boy worked the first time ...

whilst its being sorted out in the meantime can you keep the dogs back from the part of the fence nearest to those neighbours? like with a temporary smaller fence?

Edited by FionaC

bummer I was hoping that may have been the case and what you said to the boy worked the first time ...

whilst its being sorted out in the meantime can you keep the dogs back from the part of the fence nearest to those neighbours? like with a temporary smaller fence?

thanks fiona, OH is considering heading in again to talk to them again, is cooling off a bit first as he knows getting angry wont solve anything.

the problem is this kid is jumping on a trampoline and literally flinging the knife so it lands half way across the yard. it was the same problem with the food they were throwing, some ended up hitting the fence on the opposite side and we have a large yard :eek:

Go talk to the Mom first and tell her about the knife. Then inform her that you would like to call the police and ask them to come have a talk with the youngster in hopes of scaring him straight, so to speak, since your OH's talk apparently did not work. If mom is OK with that then do exactly that. If not then let her know that if she or the father do not stop the knife throwing you will call the police and file a report if there should ever be another incident involving dangerous things being thrown over the fence. Do they own or rent the house? If they rent you can also inform her you will file a complaint with the property manager the next time something happens. Let her know that not only are you concerned about the safety of yourself, your OH, and your dogs but also for her children because you wouldn't want any of you ending up hurt because the kid is playing with such a sharp object.

Ok, just read your reply about the trampoline. Are you serious?!?!?!? Who the heck is watching this kid and why is he still allowed access to the knives??? That is a tragic accident just waiting to happen!!

Edited by JD19

Go talk to the Mom first and tell her about the knife. Then inform her that you would like to call the police and ask them to come have a talk with the youngster in hopes of scaring him straight, so to speak, since your OH's talk apparently did not work. If mom is OK with that then do exactly that. If not then let her know that if she or the father do not stop the knife throwing you will call the police and file a report if there should ever be another incident involving dangerous things being thrown over the fence. Do they own or rent the house? If they rent you can also inform her you will file a complaint with the property manager the next time something happens.

thanks JD, that is very good advice. i know mum doesnt want to cause us any hassles, she is a nice lady, and i think would be in favour of soemthing that could set her son straight. a police man having a stern chat might just do the trick.

they do rent, it is public housing, so i guess there is always that avenue, but hopefully your advice might do the trick

Call the local police station and have a talk to them. If you get the right policeman he will rock around and give the kid a stern talking to. And that, I think, will cure the problem. If you can get a policeman to do this - and they should - but sometimes they wont - tell the mother what you have done. And tell her that nothing you have done so far has worked, it is very dangerous, you are not angry, but you can't allow it to continue.

With any luck, the talk by the policeman will stop it altogether.

If it were me and you'd already told them once i'd probably give them something in writing saying if it happens again you'll be contacting the police as to chuck over onions for a dog is the equivalent of poisoning them and throwing over weapons - i'm sure there'd be a law against it. Call the police anonymously if you want to find out where you stand and then get their advice on what formal advice you have to give these people not to do it again so they will have a threat of police intervention if it happens again.

i had to follow that route with neighbours trespassing in my yard and explain that I dont want to get police involved or press charges but I have to take reasonable steps to protect my dogs.

I'd tell them they have two options:

i) Extend the fence height by a few feet so that the kids can't throw knives over AND move/remove the trampoline AND lock the knives in the drawer

ii) If they don't do the above within x days time, you will call the police and officially file a complaint.

Do the parents realise that if their kids are jumping with KNIVEs they could very easily impale themselves?

We have lived in our place for almost a year now, and get on extremely well with all our neighbours (both sides, and behind).

On one side we have a large family of 6 children, and until recently it was just the mum and grandmother, the dad was overseas (we think) but has come back.

The children are basically good kids, can be rambunctious (sp?) and a little loud and naughty but nothing that terrible.

we have helped this neghbour on numerous occasions (once when her baby was bleeding heavily following a circumcision, mums english isnt so good so we called ambulance and performed first aid etc).

they are always sending in home grown vegies etc. in turn, we dont complain when we have to throw their ball back 20 times a day and pretend we dont mind when they wake us up continually pushing the doorbell at 7am on a sunday morning wanting to pat the dogs :D

a few weeks ago, i was supervising night time poos and wees with the dogs. i noticed sally VERY interested in chewing something near the clothes line. i investigated, and discoverd she was chewing the black handle end of a very large kitchen knife! :) i was horrifed, thinking of the damage it could of caused if one of the dogs had swallowed it. i will admit, i was shocked to almost tears.

it could of only come from one place. the other side neighbours only have little babies and behind us is an older couple.

OH went in the next day, son of about 8 or 9 admitted throwing the knife, mum told OH to talk to him as 'they dont listen to me' (her words)

OH gave said child a stern talking to about the dangers of knife throwing, could hurt dogs, or if i had been outside hanging the washing and it could of hit me etc.

have had problems with these children before throwing food scraps over the fence for the dogs, played out the same as this incident where the mum told my OH to talk to the kids. that was also a problem as they began to throw onions and large seeded fruit that bert could choke on. luckily it stopped.

i had hoped that after the OH had spoken to the family that was the end of the knife throwing. unfortunately i was wrong.

the other day i was outside on poo patrol when i noticed sally trotting around looking very pleased with herself. upon investigation, it was another knife, but this one she had already chewed the black bit off (found that in the garden) and was carrying around the serrated edge! :laugh:

i was furious! the first time i made all sorts of threats privately to OH about calling the police if it happened again, i was in shock, upset etc.

i am concerned about my dogs safety, but also that of my OH and I if we happen to be in the firing line of these flying knives.

it seems extreme to call the police on an 8 year old, the council would say it was a police matter.

i really dont know what to do :cheer:

anyone been in a similar situation? what avenues do I have left? :shrug:

Move.

Go talk to the Mom first and tell her about the knife. Then inform her that you would like to call the police and ask them to come have a talk with the youngster in hopes of scaring him straight, so to speak, since your OH's talk apparently did not work. If mom is OK with that then do exactly that. If not then let her know that if she or the father do not stop the knife throwing you will call the police and file a report if there should ever be another incident involving dangerous things being thrown over the fence. Do they own or rent the house? If they rent you can also inform her you will file a complaint with the property manager the next time something happens. Let her know that not only are you concerned about the safety of yourself, your OH, and your dogs but also for her children because you wouldn't want any of you ending up hurt because the kid is playing with such a sharp object.

Ok, just read your reply about the trampoline. Are you serious?!?!?!? Who the heck is watching this kid and why is he still allowed access to the knives??? That is a tragic accident just waiting to happen!!

Excellent advice, my thoughts exactly.

You know the saying "it takes a village to raise a child", if the kid doesn't understand the consequences then ask a stern but friendly copper around to explain it to him. In most places they have resources for parents who are having difficulty raising their children (my mother works for an organisation that helps with this sort of problem). A mother who is unable to stop their child from bouncing on a trampoline with a sharp knife or throwing a knife certainly needs help and it's not always a case of telling them off (they just go and take their risky behaviours somewhere they don't think they'll get caught).

they are always sending in home grown vegies etc. in turn, we dont complain when we have to throw their ball back 20 times a day and pretend we dont mind when they wake us up continually pushing the doorbell at 7am on a sunday morning wanting to pat the dogs :D

a few weeks ago, i was supervising night time poos and wees with the dogs. i noticed sally VERY interested in chewing something near the clothes line. i investigated, and discoverd she was chewing the black handle end of a very large kitchen knife! :) i was horrifed, thinking of the damage it could of caused if one of the dogs had swallowed it. i will admit, i was shocked to almost tears.

the other day i was outside on poo patrol when i noticed sally trotting around looking very pleased with herself. upon investigation, it was another knife, but this one she had already chewed the black bit off (found that in the garden) and was carrying around the serrated edge! :laugh:

i really dont know what to do :cheer:

anyone been in a similar situation? what avenues do I have left? :shrug:

Move.

Unfortunately we are not in a financial position to just up and move, as we have only been in this place for a year

I started a thread about our next door neighbors kids throwing rocks at our window....we did the same thing, went over and spoke to them, but on the 4th occasion we told them if it were to happen again we would be calling the police.

To me, knives are much more serious. I would be calling the police immediately. Sorry, but this isn't just about the dogs, you guys could get hit too!

I found a shoe in our backyard the other day which does not belong to us....wonder where that came from?? I wish people would keep their feral kids under control. Why have so many if you can't look after them?? :D

I hope it stops and you don;t have to take it any further...fingers crossed!

Thanks for the replies everyone- I agree it is a very danger situation and even tho the kids are a pain in the butt sometimes i dont want them to get hurt either.

OH is going in tonight to speak to the parents, he will go in when dad gets home so that may make a difference.

its a sad situation, the mum is such a nice lady and loves her kids but has no control. i feel for her but at the same time i need to protect MY family (furry and otherwise :D )

will let you know how he goes

I think you need to deal with this quickly. Whilst it's important to keep on the good side of your neighbours, it's more important that you protect yourselves and your dog!

I would most definately be having another talk with the mother, and as said before, also point out that the knife throwing could end up in her child being injured..not just your dog.

If this was me, I'd be talking to the police/council just so it's on record it if happens again! :D It's always a worry when a parent won't discipline their child, or give excuses "they don't listen to me", I just cringe... :):laugh::shrug:

Edited by Enigma01au

I agree that u have to act NOW! Looks like the Mum cant even control her own kids, this is weapon were talking about..and i reckon the police would be able to help u in this matter..

maybe they are throwing knife in their own house too! i mean, what kind of mother would allow their kids to even take a knife for playing?!

*shivers*

Call the local police station and have a talk to them. If you get the right policeman he will rock around and give the kid a stern talking to. And that, I think, will cure the problem. If you can get a policeman to do this - and they should - but sometimes they wont - tell the mother what you have done. And tell her that nothing you have done so far has worked, it is very dangerous, you are not angry, but you can't allow it to continue.

With any luck, the talk by the policeman will stop it altogether.

Totally agree with JD19 and Jed's advice. This is a serious issue for everyone involved and the family needs help! It would be awful for any of your family or theirs to be hurt. I think it's really nice of you and your OH to show so much concern for your neighbours but I think it would definitely be appropriate to get the police involved.

Let us know what happens, and I really hope everyone is ok in the meantime.

PS. why do dogs always seem to think things that are dangerous for them are the most fun!!