Have You Ever Forgotten To Feed Your Dog?

ILK

Has anyone else forgotten to feed their dog or does your dog let you know when it is hungry?

:laugh: :laugh: :cry: we have GSP's ..... they don't let you forget otherwise the sound is akin to someone skinning them alive....

however we feed on our terms, they can whinge and whine as much as they want but we feed them when we do not when they think its dinner time (which is usually an hour or two before we plan to feed them) so they just lie around looking at you from underneath their brows, trying to look like they are wasting away by the minute ....

Edited by FionaC

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. you could never forget to feed Cavs !!!!!!! :laugh:

I know - one of my closest girlfriends has a cav.... There is no way she could forget it's quite a sight :laugh:

You knew what i meant then ! :eek:

I sure did. Her dog quite often demands a snack or a dog biscuit throughout the day. She really puts on a performance for a snack too. Walking backwards and forwards to where the food is kept, scratching at the cupboard, nudging & pawing you, letting out a bark or a growl. Making stareful eyecontact and wagging her tail. I've never seen anything like it :laugh: I've heard that is very common for cavs.

We don't forget, but keep the feeding unpredictable. The same goes for the horses. Why should the animals tell us when to feed them? We are the leaders of the pack. A vet told us that the dogs benefit from fasting up to once a week, and we've made that a practice, particularly with dogs that are in work (cattle work). Horses don't get fasted, but there is no set "feed time" - it is when we get in at the end of the day, or perhaps in the morning if that suits us for some reason. Some of our working dogs sometimes forget to feed themselves! We feed them and they go and have a look, then leave it. I guess cause the working dog ration is not terribly delectable unless it is fresh bones day.

Personally, I think forgetting to excersise a dog that is caged, tied or couped up in an apartment or small back yard is worse for the dog than forgetting to feed them. Many pet dogs seem to me to be very fat. I get a little tired of people looking at our fit, excersised, trained and working collies and kelpies (when we had them) and thinking they were too skinny and we were neglectful when they had their own morbidly obese animal stuck in their 400sqm backyard for weeks on end without seeing the other side of the fence.

So don't feel guilty about forgetting to feed the dog - they love to make us feel guilty with those beautiful eyes etc etc. They are no healthier fat than you or I. Except, I wouldn't fast a puppy, a nursing or pregnant bitch, or allow a dog to go without water, especially in hot weather. We lost a dog to dehydration once when the person caring for him while we were away forgot to fill up the waters in very hot weather. It was an immense loss.

No haven't forgotten, Mungo couldn't care less but Sienna always lets me know if I've let feed time slip the slightest over what she considers feed time and if I have a pm shift I always know if the family haven't fed them before I get home......it's the first thing Sienna lets me know! :) Such a piggy!