Have You Ever Forgotten To Feed Your Dog?

ILK

I forgot to feed my dog one day last week. First time ever I promise. It was last Tuesday night when I got home from work. I let him inside like I do every night. He lays at my feet while I sit on the lounge watching t.v.

In the morning I woke up and realised I had forgotten to feed him so I went outside straight away and gave him some food thinking that he would be really hungry.

Every night now he lets out a bark every now & again to let me know he is hungry. He is not going to let me forget again. :) He has never done that before.

Has anyone else forgotten to feed their dog or does your dog let you know when it is hungry?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I haven't, but it wouldn't hurt them to miss a meal - they wouldn't let me forget though.

I have however, forgotten the odd baby bottle here and there :laugh: .

I promise my priorities aren't skewed :)

I once forgot to feed my old dog. When I told him it was bed time he got all hyper instead of sedately going to bed like he normally did. I couldn't figure it out and started thinking hard about what his problem was... realised he hadn't had his dinner :) So I gave it to him and then sent him to bed.

I doubt I'd be able to forget to feed my current 2 dogs. The youngest one, Jasper, lets me know he's hungry by licking his empty bowl and pushing it across the tiles. Some days he does that as soon as I get home, before I've even eaten my own dinner, so I don't think I'd be able to give him his dinner anymore than an hour late without him driving me crazy.

I used to have my dogs on odd feeding times. They would have one meal at a random time anywhere between 7am and 11pm. Occassionaly they would have a 'fast' day. This was because I was a shift worker and needed to know my dogs weren't going to bark the house down if I missed a meal.

Unfortunately Sunni is now getting old and grumpy. Even if she has a full meal in the morning, she starts complaining for dinner around 6.30pm. She's a PITA. :) She will never let me 'forget' a meal nowadays. There have been a couple of nights where I've forgotten to buy dog food and I've had to raid the freezer for human grade meat just to satisfy her hunger. I'm sure she's loved those nights. :laugh:

Yes I have, more than once or twice! :laugh:

Problem is my routine is to take her for a run before the kids get up, then I have to wait for an hour or so before I can feed her (to avoid bloat etc) and by then the house is in full swing and chaotic. A couple of times its been lunch before I realised she hadnt been fed!! :laugh:

She hasnt suffered. :)

There isn't a hope in hell of forgetting to feed 'My Lady' :) She gets fed around 4.30 every day and will start the demanding stare around 4.15 and by 4.30 will bark at me and if I'm on computer she will bark louder and keep barking until I get her dinner, told her she's a bossy demanding old bag!. :laugh:

Edited by mutt lover

My dogs get fed at random times, might be early or late, usually twice a day, but since we don't have a 'routine' as such they never expect food at a certain time. Also I use a fair bit of food at training so they might not have dinner those nights, and a small meal those mornings. I like to keep them guessing :)

I have only fed them once a day on occasion, they didn't seem all that bothered about the missing meal to be honest, maybe slightly more hypo (if it's possible) :laugh:

Yep - i was last to bed and the dog is there glaring at me and wouldn't do as she was told. Thinking why is the dog acting like that then realised that she hadn't been fed (thats what you get for going to bed without being fed).

There is no way she goes to bed now and gets all upset if it really looks like she's going to miss out.

Once I fed her that night the normal dog was back.

Ive never forgotton but was told by a trainer once that it wouldnt hurt for them to go without a meal everynow and then... gives their bowels time to digest properly...

The way I see it if dogs are a pack animal, you dont see wolves being fed same time every day :)

One time I never fed Jess when I had vertigo so bad I couldn't lift my head up off the bed without being violently ill, even though she never got fed that day, she sat next to the bed licking, or pressing her nose to my forehead. I love my Jess :)

Ohhhh that is sooooooo beautiful :laugh:

More than likely :)

If he has had a big run in the morning then I do not give him breakfast as I leave for work. In turn, he has to wait after a big run at night so I imagine I have simply not fed him later on.

He does not get overly worried if I skip a meal although he can't really afford to miss meals.

He occasionally fasts himself.

Now if you're talking about the cat, he would not let me forget to feed him :laugh:

I have never forgotten to feed Smooch, comes about 5.pm he will come up to me and push my hand off the computer mouse than go to the fridge, if I ignore him he will continue to push my hand off the mouse. Ask him what he wants and he will go straight back to the fridge. He has to have his turkey neck before he will eat anything else. So no chance of forgetting to feed him and yet he is a very fussy eater.

I have never forgotten to feed Smooch, comes about 5.pm he will come up to me and push my hand off the computer mouse than go to the fridge, if I ignore him he will continue to push my hand off the mouse. Ask him what he wants and he will go straight back to the fridge. He has to have his turkey neck before he will eat anything else. So no chance of forgetting to feed him and yet he is a very fussy eater.

Gotta love that kelpie way of nudging you with their nose to get their way :)