Have You Ever Forgotten To Feed Your Dog?

ILK

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Lincoln and Lilly would start gnawing on my legs if I forgot! :) Those two will let me know when its dinner time (and for Lincoln his other meal times). Toby has gone without dinner after training sometimes when he gets lots of treats but he dosen't seem to mind that much, he isn't a pig like my other two. :cheer:

I think i usually fast my dogs once or twice a fortnight... it doesnt hurt for them to skip a meal...

it is now at the point where they no longer expect to be fed although my oldest boy is probably the worst if it is a night time meal that i skip...

They wouldn't let me forget even if I tried *sigh* they even know what time dinner is like they can read the clock.

Ditto, two dogs and two cats harassig me at 6.00pm EDST on the dot. Absolutely no chance of forgetting to feed them :)

at 5:30pm i get the cats coming in to sit around me, then the dog. they all just sit and stare, waiting til 6, when they won't wait any longer! meowing and nudging ensues. it starts to get a bit like a scene from 'the birds'. no way would i be allowed to forget!

i do like the idea of having manoueverable feeding times but i inherited the cats and they had always been fed at 6-so i maintained it to help them adjust and haven't stopped in the 7 years i've had them...

No.. even the night hubby had to rush me to emergency, apparently all I kept saying all the way in the car and at the hospital to the doctors & hubby was 'Winnie has not had dinner yet" I still can not remember to this day what I was saying, but apparently the doctors were asking me 'what is Winnie' and I kept saying she has not had dinner :rofl: hubby went home soon as I was stable and gave Winnie her dinner, just to shut me up :laugh:

Our dogs have their main meal when I get up in the mornings. It's usually one of the first things I do. If it's the weekend and I sleep in really late, Daisy will get antsy and will try and wake me up by putting her nose or paw on my face :laugh::rofl: On a week day, she always comes into my bed about half an hour before my alarm goes off to wait for me to get up. She knows the sound of my alarm going off and when she can see me waking up she gets excited :laugh:

So there's no way I could forget to feed her in the morning, although when we start trialling I will fast her for 24 hours.

My dogs lick their bowls (which are metal) when they want food. There is no way I could miss the sound of the metal going along the floorboards so they've never been without food. I understand sometimes forgetting though, I guess I've just always been reminded by my dogs before I have a chance to forget

It is absolutely not a possiblity to forget in my house. They start following me around right on 5.30pm until I feed them at six. Now Mokha follows me all the time but when Molly joins in you know its dinner time. Brekky well its usually about the 3rd thing I do in the morning. I am half asleep still but never forget they wouldnt let me, one of the advantages of labradors.

I regularly 'forget' to feed my dogs - about once a week. I make up for it by feeding more the day before or the day after though.

It's just part of their life - they get fed when it is time to be fed which could be any time. No whinging here if an odd meal gets skipped.

I used to "fast" my dogs one day per week 20 years ago (as per the guide dogs, so I was told)??? It made sense as wild dogs are not guaranteed regular meals and it does give the digestion a break.

For some reason I stopped doing it??? I wish I wasn't so regular with meal times as the German Shepherd carries on a treat at 4.30 pm on the dot and it's a pain! I don't know if my Cavaliers would let me skip a meal either. They get so little I think they would miss it greatly!! :laugh:

I've never FORGOTTEN to feed them though ! BUT

I had forgotten to give the kids lunch on one occassion!!! BAD MOTHER!!! :cry:

We'd had a big breakfast and were all outdoors doing work ALL DAY, and then went inside, got cleaned up and went to their Grandparents for Sunday dinner. As I watched them hoeing into their meals I realise I hadn't given them lunch! :laugh: Although there had been some 'grazing' on apples and yogurts and biscuits when we had a coffee break. :)

Grandparents probably thought "What good little eaters they were!"

I regularly 'forget' to feed my dogs - about once a week. I make up for it by feeding more the day before or the day after though.

It's just part of their life - they get fed when it is time to be fed which could be any time. No whinging here if an odd meal gets skipped.

That's my approach. Feeding time is when I say it is, not when he tells me.

Some dogs have trained their owners well :laugh:

Has anyone else forgotten to feed their dog or does your dog let you know when it is hungry?

As if :laugh: I have Labradors :) - one time though I must admit when I had two of them, I came close to it as was wondering what all the fuss was about when my boys wouldn't settle for the night when I was chilled out watching TV and they kept on coming up to me all the time and walking over to the door and walking around in circles and looking at me all the time :laugh: Then I twigged OMG I had forgotten to feed them :D so rectified it quick smart :cry: I had had a bad day at the office and had a lot on my mind and obviously wasn't thinking straight, but they sorted me out :laugh: .