2 Boston Terrier Visitors!

SeeGee

Hi team,

Going to have two boston terriers stay for a month or so as of next week to help some friends out.

Any suggestions as to how to introduce them to Charlie? Never done this before! (ie. 3 dogs).

We know one of the bostons, Megan, we looked after her for 1.5yrs when they were in the UK, but it was agggges ago, and I have changed alot as a doggie person, and she now has Moby as well. They are so close they sleep intertwined.......

Looking forward to any input.

Jacqui

I wouldn't leave them altogether (with your dog) unsupervised while you're out.

Perhaps meet at a park for a few walks first. If at home and you have more than one dog, introduce your more dominant dog first - put him away then bring out your other dog(s) one at a time. Do it slowly, watch but also have distractions so they aren't all standing around staring at each other. I find it best not to encourage drivey games until all dogs are settled well. I've always found a walk is best if the dogs are prone to having a go, they get distracted and by the end of the walk they are used to each other and realise the other isn't a threat.

I have no clue about Bostons but being a Terrier I would err on the side of caution. I remember many years ago a Boston breeder on this forum said putting a Boston in with other breeds can be like throwing a cat among the pigeons. Don't let their size lull you in to a false sense of security. I've hear they're a lot of fun, so enjoy! :rofl:

No Charlie has never met the two bostons. I was hoping that because Megan and Moby are so *together* that they wont bother Charlie that much......

We were going to introduce down at the dog park. Have a meeting there, and then they just *come home* with us.....

Clyde, thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it. I am concerned about going to work now though, and am trying to change times so they wont be home alone for long...

I really am getting a little concerned about this......

Edited by jacquilee81

I just would like to ask why you haven't introduced them before this is to happen? I would have thought a bit of pre-visit preparation might have been a good thing. And then, if things hadn't gone to plan, they would have had time to make other arrangements for their dogs. Maybe it's just me?

When I fostered I would always meet the new dog at the park and let them play together slowly. Once they were all tired I would load my dogs and the new dog into the car with a person sitting next to the new dog just in case.

At home I would bring them all in together and then have several people around to assist in case of any tension. Rarely was there a problem. I would separate at first the new dog for feeding and if I was going out, then new dog would be separated.

At my place I have lots of toddler gates to keep dogs apart and rooms dog free.

Good luck.

I just would like to ask why you haven't introduced them before this is to happen? I would have thought a bit of pre-visit preparation might have been a good thing. And then, if things hadn't gone to plan, they would have had time to make other arrangements for their dogs. Maybe it's just me?

fair call. my friends have been uprooted from their town and moved with a weeks notice. time between them getting here and me getting dogs = 1 day. circumstance. they are aware that if it doesnt work for us/charlie that they have to make other arrangements, and have a boarding kennel on standby.

Normally I would agree, meet at dog park, play, walk etc.....its just one of those ideal situations.