Gsd Limping

AussieGuy

I have a 5 month old German Shepherd Dog. Just recently ive noticed that Reno has been walking funny. Its seems he has a slight limp, but its so minor I cant pick up which foot is the problem. It doesn't seem that he is in pain and is not lifting any foot more than the other. I check his feet to make sure he hadn't had any prickles or damage to his feet, but found nothing. I took him to the vet the other day and he said its most likely growing pains and puppies do this occasionally when young. What do you guys suggest? Should I get a second opinion or is this normal.

Like I said, he doesn't show any signs of pain or discomfort.

Reno's back could be out, it could be pano, he could be growing

See a good vet chiro/chiro and see if that helps

Have you spoken to your breeder at all about it?

If the chiro doesn't help, your breeder may know of a vet who knows GSDs that you can see

Good luck and i hope it is as simple as his back being out.

I noticed you are in North East Victoria...Go and see Ian Bidstrup in Wangaratta. If you are really concerned he is a vet and Chiro and also just amazing with joints/back etc. He is very busy, so book early

I noticed you are in North East Victoria...Go and see Ian Bidstrup in Wangaratta. If you are really concerned he is a vet and Chiro and also just amazing with joints/back etc. He is very busy, so book early

Yeah i might have to go to him. Ive been to Ian once before for an unrelated issue and found him fantastic, so i might give me a call tomorrow.

;)Sorry to hiijack the thread

But I might take Simba to see Ian Bidstrup. Simba has joint problems, too.

And I'm looking for a chiro that is really good.

Thanks, guys.

XXtoughgirlXxxx

He is also very reasonable in his pricing.

One of my Staffy's had s slight limp at 5 months old, the problem was when we were at the Vets she was so excited she didnt limp.

Upon referral to a specalist I didnt want to go in there with nothing, so I video taped her limping. From the video the Vet could tell there was defenitely something wrong and was able to pinpoint which leg had the issue.

Aussie Guy, all great advice you have been given, and a great idea to have a chiro, physio or Bowen therapist have a look at him.

But please do not dismiss panosteitis (growing pains) too quickly, especially seeing as the vet said it was likely to be that. Though exact diagnosis can only be done via xrays.

It is fairly common is males of that age, particularly in your breed. And yes, if it is pano, he will probably grow out of it, but it is extremely painful for them.

Pano can be diet and fast growth related. Please look into these important possibilities, an ensure you are feeding a well balanced diet and NOT supplementing with calcium.

Pano can appear to move from one leg to another, usually the front. There wouldn't be pain relief with holding the leg up, so he would not hold it up if it is pano.

Good luck with your boy. I am sure ian will get on to the issue for you.

Edited by dyzney

Aussie Guy, all great advice you have been given, and a great idea to have a chiro, physio or Bowen therapist have a look at him.

But please do not dismiss panosteitis (growing pains) too quickly, especially seeing as the vet said it was likely to be that. Though exact diagnosis can only be done via xrays.

It is fairly common is males of that age, particularly in your breed. And yes, if it is pano, he will probably grow out of it, but it is extremely painful for them.

Pano can be diet and fast growth related. Please look into these important possibilities, an ensure you are feeding a well balanced diet and NOT supplementing with calcium.

Pano can appear to move from one leg to another, usually the front. There would be pain relief with holding the leg up, so he would not if it is pano.

Good luck with your boy. I am sure ian will get on to the ossue for you.

That is why it is so good to go to Ian he is very holistic vet/chiro and will take everything into account, including Pano.........A lot of newfs get pano too, but feeding RAW we have mannaged to side step that with ours, as they are much slower to develop.

Edited by newfsie

One of my Staffy's had s slight limp at 5 months old, the problem was when we were at the Vets she was so excited she didnt limp.

Upon referral to a specalist I didnt want to go in there with nothing, so I video taped her limping. From the video the Vet could tell there was defenitely something wrong and was able to pinpoint which leg had the issue.

Good thinking!

How's Reno?

Thanks for asking Shelle. Reno went to the Chiro and found out that he over extended elbow, which left him with some cartilage damage in his left elbow. With anti inflammatory cream, some rest and light physio, Reno has stopped limping and is almost back to normal.

He will go back to the Chiro in the coming weeks to check his progress.