Horse Feed; Dog Food

Erny

This possibly should be in OT, but it sort of relates to dogs, so wasn't sure.

Made myself a note for tomorrow - went to write "Order horse feed" but by error (habit, probably) I wrote "Order dog food". I edited the note, but in the process wondered how come it is horse "feed" and dog "food" ??

Just one of those sillies that flits through the mind every now and again. But now that it has, I want to know how come?

Yeah - I know it's just a silly unimportant thing. Seems to me that if it is grain it is "feed". If it is meat it is "food". Don't know why, though.

:) Oh well, doesn't matter. There are bigger things to ponder on.

:)

My corella gets large wild bird mix, neither food nor feed it seems?

Sorry, OT a bit, but I LOVE Corella's. Particularly long billed. :)

Yeh, it is a strange one Erny. Also being a horsy, I use the term "feed" for horse tucker, but never really stopped to think about it.

Sorry, no sensible answer here.

When feeding the horses, I would also use the term "I am feeding up", where as when I feed the dogs, I am just "feeding the dogs" :thumbsup:

My corella gets large wild bird mix, neither food nor feed it seems?

But that's getting a bit too specific. That relates to the type/style of "FEED" they get. Speaking generically, you purchase bird "feed" for them.

Edited by Erny

Bird food?

Chook food

Pig feed

????

Hhhhmmm .... see, I'd say "bird feed" and "chicken feed". Yet I agree, I'd say "chook food".

Not sure what I'd say for Pigs ..... and now that I'm thinking about it too hard, I'm not sure what my reflex description would be. Have to think about that one when I'm not thinking about it so much, if you know what I mean.

LOL ....

Maybe something to do with plural?? I know when I talk about the horse feed I am thinking of the whole mob. Same with the chicken feed. But then people often have more than one dog or cat....

Oh well, there's my useless contribution. :laugh:

So then, my corella has food because he is not livestock. Seed is not feed.

Looked at lots of animal edibles in the produce and the bags said... animal feed, except for chook food which was mix.

Ah the little things...

So then, my corella has food because he is not livestock. Seed is not feed.

Looked at lots of animal edibles in the produce and the bags said... animal feed, except for chook food which was mix.

Ah the little things...

Mmm well then I wonder about the saying "oh it's just chicken feed" :confused:

I too was "forced" to make a trip to the local produce store yesterday afternoon and found the same as you Rozzie!